PDA

View Full Version : trunk handle re-assembly, 1952 (see pic)

Michidan
09-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Another of those small issues that you forget about years after the dis-assembly was done.
If someody could peek into the trunk of their 1952, and look at the underside of the lid for how the latch pieces go, I would appreciate it. It's all pretty simple, but I have a twisted piece of wire coming out from under the sheet metal that ends in a loop. Like a safety wire I guess. And this goes where? And does what? I can't remember if it just is a guide for the license plate lamp wire, or it it involvest he latch mechanism somehow.

Thanks as always.

Dan
52 hardtop

JDP
09-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Make sure it's not just a quicky realease that was added to open the trunk when the handle is off the car.

http://stude.com/sig.jpg
Studebaker On The Net
http://stude.com
Studebaker News Group
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
Arnold Md.
65 Sports Sedan(sold)
64 Daytona HT
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti R1/AC
63 Avanti R2/4 speed
63 Daytona HT
63 Lark 2 dr.
62 Lark 2 door
62 GT(parts car)
60 Lark convert
60 Hawk
52 Starliner(sold)
51 Commander

Roscomacaw
09-21-2006, 12:30 PM
I've had a number of those latches go thru my hands and I've removed a few of them from cars too. Never saw such a thing as you describe. Just looked at the parts book - nothing like that shown in the illustrated parts layout. [?]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Michidan
09-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Yea, it's not a part of the latch. It's a part of the trunk lid. It sticks out from under the sheet metal.
A picture would be worth 1001 words here, I will try and add one tomorrow.
Something tells me that this is stock, i don't think its just wire that got jabbed under the trunk lid bracing at one time. It interacts with the latch...somehow.

Dan
52 hardtop

41 Frank
09-21-2006, 01:52 PM
My book shows a link that goes between the lock and latch, it looks like a maybe 1/8th diameter rod with a 90 degree bend on each end.
This may be what you are seeing

rockne10
09-21-2006, 07:52 PM
If it's electrical wire, it's for the license plate lamp that is located in the handle. If it is not electrical wire, I would guess someone put it there to indicate the routing for the wire, especially if it runs between the braceing and sheetmetal or is installed anywhere with clips.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

Roscomacaw
09-21-2006, 10:10 PM
I simply don't recall what Dan's talking about with regards to the 52s I've dealt with.
Having spent about a hour, this afternoon, lying under the decklid of a 50 Champion The latch release arrangements are very much alike from 47 thru 52), I gave thought to Dan's question. Once I was done there (I'd been cutting away the rear window gasket so I could retrieve the center divider pieces for another forum member) I decided I'd go have a look at a '51 deck lid that I've got stashed in the shed. Nope - no loop of wire there either. And I don't think the operator link that works the latch could be mistaken for a "piece of wire".
I sold the last 52 trunk handle/lever assembly that I had, on ebay last year. I can recall distinctly, the pale yellow 52 Starlight coupe that I personally removed it from some time prior. I got all the linkage and pigtail there was with it, but there was nothing like a solid, safety-wire like thing involved.
Dan, a picture would be worth a bunch of words. If you can't post it, e-mail it to me and I'll put it up.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Michidan
09-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Sooooo, this thing in the picture, that isn't supposed to be there? This is my only Stude, so I wouldn't know any better. I thought it was some factory thing. Its pinned under that sheet metal and does not pull out.
I wish I could ask the guy who dis-assembled the car what it was for. Oh yea, that was me. Too many years ago.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/loraxdan66/trunk.jpg

Dan
52 hardtop

Roscomacaw
09-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Ya know, Dan - things like that reveal themselves from time to time and there's really no explanation for them except to say that it's probably something that a worker overlooked on the production line. Maybe at one point there was a paper tag on the loop of that wire. The factory had lots of parts that wore description tags or inspection tags, reciept tags, and so forth.
This wire is obviously held captive by the inner structure of the deck lid and I can visualize a scenario where the fella that fitted the inner structure to the lid skin, distractedly doing so and overlooking that wire. Maybe he was having a bad day or maybe he thought it was funny to just leave it.
We've all heard tales of a loose part built into a door or some closed in area so as to cause an owner or a dealer fits! And there's the time I pulled up the carpets in my '58 hardtop to see where someone had deliberatly left the South Bend Tribune on the floorboards and proceeded to put the body mount bolts right thru the paper. I got to read the paper from Sept '57 when I discovered it![:I]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

mbstude
09-22-2006, 05:48 PM
I agree with Biggs. Probably just some guy who thought, "Ya know, I'll bet in 50 years or so, someone will drive themselves NUTS trying to figure out what this is here for".

:D

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/1_SDC_avatar_coast.jpg

rockne10
09-22-2006, 10:41 PM
My cousin used to be President of Ford Canada and she told me the vehicles on the assembly line have a code to indicate if the are being built to specific order, built for floor plan, built for company use, etc. The workers would learn the code for company use vehicles and would assemble them so the radio would come on or shut off when you hit the brakes, doors would unlock if you turned left and any number of things they could think of. They have to change their codes on a weekly random rotation to foil this mischievous practice. Assembly line's no fun anymore.[V]

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

Roscomacaw
09-23-2006, 01:15 PM
I talked with a fella that was a plant electrician at Ford for a time in the 70s. He said the engine assembly guys would stuff a sandwich, sandwich bag or some other glitch into the odd engine just to get their jollies knowing that the "hot test" guys would encounter a problem on the run testing.[}:)]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Michidan
09-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Well, I have my production order, but it fails to list the rare optional trunk safety wire. I guess its one of one made. :)

I think I'll route the lamp wire through it and call it a wire guide. Another 50 years from now the next owner can marvel over the ingenious Studebaker level of detail.

Thanks all.

Dan
52 hardtop

9echo
08-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Don't know if this will help, but this is the latch on my 48 Starlight Coupe. No little hair pins in this one.