PDA

View Full Version : S/S Mouldings

Michelles Pops
08-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Whats the trick to removal 55 President
Thanks Barry

tbredehoft
08-16-2013, 11:50 AM
For the butter knife, and associated parts, use a putty knife at the bottom, lift away from the car, all along the bottom. Look for screws through the door, etc., at the ends. It should lift off. Around the windows, pull out screws. Under the windows, there are screws in the ends, the ones at the door hinges, I got a extra long screwdriver, about 9 inches long. Those particular pieces are sprung, hard to get back on, perhaps two people could do it more easily.

The front fender side molding is held on with screws.

New clips are available from SI, but I had difficulty getting the right count and styles.

Anne F. Goodman
08-16-2013, 01:06 PM
some are 3/8 and 1/4 inch nuts from the back side of fenders really hard to get to. Also lots of dirt on them. Not fun at all. Ask me how I know. Stripped our sons wrecked 55 champion 4 door also painted his new President State sedan.. The hardest mouldings to get off are under the front windshield. Nuts are way up under the dash by the defroster vents.

Michelles Pops
08-16-2013, 02:26 PM
For the butter knife, and associated parts, use a putty knife at the bottom, lift away from the car, all along the bottom. Look for screws through the door, etc., at the ends. It should lift off. Around the windows, pull out screws. Under the windows, there are screws in the ends, the ones at the door hinges, I got a extra long screwdriver, about 9 inches long. Those particular pieces are sprung, hard to get back on, perhaps two people could do it more easily.

The front fender side molding is held on with screws.

New clips are available from SI, but I had difficulty getting the right count and styles.
Thanks a BUNCH.

Lark Parker
08-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Those on the windshield rubber and back window rubber seal must be removed together with the rubber seal. If you try to pry them you WILL damage them.

See 6th and 7th pictures:

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/Stainless/larkparker4.html

The rubber seal will need to be cut away from the car body.