Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried a Daytona Parts replacement carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Has anyone tried a Daytona Parts replacement carb?

I'm looking at one of these for the 6cyl Lark:

Daytona Parts Co - Standard replacement carburetor and our fully adjustable universal carburetor. Replacement carburetors to fit any application.

Although I'd have to route a choke cable into the cabin somehow, it would be cool to have a completely fresh carburetor for the car.

if you're looking for an AS carb...I've got one cheap with oil bath air filter...I think I have a dry type too..... good rebuildable units

Comment

JMHO, but have Dave Thibault or Daytona Parts remanufacture the OEM carb. It will be in every way as good as a new one. It will look correct and fit correctly.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        JMHO, but have Dave Thibault or Daytona Parts remanufacture the OEM carb. It will be in every way as good as a new one. It will look correct and fit correctly.

jack vines
        It's missing a part, the metering rod retainer clip. Will they be able to put in an appropriate replacement when remanufacturing?

Comment

Originally posted by jff View Post
          It's missing a part, the metering rod retainer clip. Will they be able to put in an appropriate replacement when remanufacturing?
          Yes they will. They have thousands and thousands (really) of "parts carbs" from which to secure missing parts. I know owner Ron Hewitt well and have for probably 40 years.

(However, if you'll use the search function of the SDC Forum, you'll see that Daytona Parts replacement carb has been discussed here, with reports from actual users.) BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Yes they will. They have thousands and thousands (really) of "parts carbs" from which to secure missing parts. I know owner Ron Hewitt well and have for probably 40 years.

(However, if you'll use the search function of the SDC Forum, you'll see that Daytona Parts replacement carb has been discussed here, with reports from actual users.) BP

I tried that, but it's difficult to sort out threads that are talking about the Daytona Parts carburetor from threads about the Studebaker Daytona car. I found one thread saying, "Hey, there's a new carburetor, looks great", but no actual reports from users.

Comment

John, I apologize; I apparently misled you. This is the thread of which I was thinking:

I remembered someone as having posted they used the carburetor, but apparently not.

You may call Ron Hewitt with confidence, though; he's a straight-up guy who will not advise you incorrectly....just tell him I said so! BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                John, I apologize; I apparently misled you. This is the thread of which I was thinking:

I remembered someone as having posted they used the carburetor, but apparently not.

You may call Ron Hewitt with confidence, though; he's a straight-up guy who will not advise you incorrectly....just tell him I said so! BP
                Ok, thanks! I think I'll call Ron, then decide between remanufacturing and buying a replacement.

Comment

Daytona does superb work.
                  I had them refurbish a Stromberg WW years back. It came back looking like brand new and, best of all, required no fettling whatsoever once installed.
                  Andy
                  62 GT

Comment

Daytona's fine.....But if You were closer to Mass, I'd definitely send the carb to Dave Thibeault though. (Tel #978-897-3158)

Comment

Update: I went ahead and ordered the Daytona carb. I'll still have the stock carb around if I ever want to get it fixed and put back in. The cost for remanufacturing was pretty much the same as the new carb, except the new carb will be here in about 1 week while remanufacturing would take 6+ weeks.

Comment

The carburetor is here! It arrived yesterday, well-packed in a Priority Mail box. Looks great, and I intend to install it tonight.

Can anyone recommend what to do about the little line that runs out of the exhaust manifold and went into the choke on the original carb? It doesn't look like there's an easy way to remove it from the manifold, but should I try to at least find a bolt to plug the end? I figure if I leave it just hanging around, it's going to puff dirty exhaust all over the inside of my engine compartment, which would be unpleasant.

Comment

That tube is not open to the exhaust stream. There should be two tubes, one for air in and one for air out. You can plug them if you wish, or you can just leave them alone. No exhaust will come from them.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Ah, that's great! I only saw one tube, and I guess I assumed it just opened directly into the exhaust manifold. I'll just leave it alone. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                              That tube is not open to the exhaust stream. There should be two tubes, one for air in and one for air out. You can plug them if you wish, or you can just leave them alone. No exhaust will come from them.
                              That's not quite right for a 6, there is one straight tube that extends through the manifold and comes out the bottom, and they are bad for burning through. SI used to have them, I suppose they still do. If you don't connect it to the choke, it won't function correctly, unless you use a manual choke, and if it is burned through, you'll pull exhaust into the choke housing and clog it all up.
                              Ron Dame
                              '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                              X