PDA

View Full Version : About to acquire my first Studebaker, a red 59 Hawk!

pbrown
08-15-2013, 06:23 PM
If the planets align, I’m about to acquire a red 59 Hawk via valleyguy (Joe Diggle) in Virginia. (assuming that a local guy with “first dibs” doesn’t get it)

It belongs to a friend of Joe’s, and Joe is helping prep it for sale. It looks like it may end up in my garage for $10K, which seems to be a good deal for all involved.

It lacks a radio, and will need AC installed for my Florida climate, but it looks like just what the doctor ordered - a solid car that we’ll be able to drive it for a while without any sizable repairs or restorations.

I think even my wife is getting excited!

I’ll invite any comments good or bad…

Phillip

evilhawk
08-15-2013, 08:40 PM
I hope you end up with it! I think 59 is the best looking year for the Hawk. Does it have the original running gear?

PackardV8
08-15-2013, 09:28 PM
We're hoping along with you. Any Hawk will raise the blood pressure and sometimes even get the wife excited.

it looks like just what the doctor ordered - a solid car that we’ll be able to drive it for a while without any sizable repairs or restorations.

Print out a copy of this, put it on the calendar and get back to us in a year. It could happen.

jack vines

GThawkwind
08-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Awesome!! What trans does it have? Can't wait for pics.

Studedude
08-15-2013, 10:10 PM
It's not just Hawks that get my wife excited. Every Stude I bring home seems to render her speechless for weeks at a time.

I think it's about time for me to find another. (Stude.)

rockne10
08-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Now that there's funny, Dave! You've discovered the way to find some peace and quiet! :woot::lol:

pbrown
08-16-2013, 12:49 PM
I've looked at so many, I've obviously been overwhelmed - because I even put the wrong year in the title...It's actually a 60 Hawk. Although it appears that 59 and 60 are most identical?

pbrown
08-16-2013, 01:05 PM
The red 1960 Hawk appears to be a nice, solid driver. The paint is very good, with just a few small chips on the lower hood and fenders in front. The chrome is good although the front grills are showing some pitting, but still look ok. The hood ornament is not shiny any more. The clock and original tube-type radio do not work

The floor pans and trunk do not show any evidence of an repairs. The underside looks solid.

The car has not been driven for 3 years, which is the reason Joe drained the gas tank and redid the carb, blew the gas lines out, put on a filter, new plugs,changed the oil & tuned it up. New battery. New tires

The car is an 3-speed automatic, with the 259 c.i engine, 4-barrel carb and dual exhaust.

If my computer and the SDC website will cooperate, I’ll post pics!

GThawkwind
08-16-2013, 05:13 PM
It's easiest for me to upload to photo bucket, then copy and paste em'. Sounds like just the right car for your needs, maybe a ways down the line you could switch it to floor shift just for kicks.

evilhawk
08-16-2013, 11:08 PM
The red 1960 Hawk appears to be a nice, solid driver. The paint is very good, with just a few small chips on the lower hood and fenders in front. The chrome is good although the front grills are showing some pitting, but still look ok. The hood ornament is not shiny any more. The clock and original tube-type radio do not work

The floor pans and trunk do not show any evidence of an repairs. The underside looks solid.

The car has not been driven for 3 years, which is the reason Joe drained the gas tank and redid the carb, blew the gas lines out, put on a filter, new plugs,changed the oil & tuned it up. New battery. New tires

The car is an 3-speed automatic, with the 259 c.i engine, 4-barrel carb and dual exhaust.

If my computer and the SDC website will cooperate, I’ll post pics!

Its a 1960 with a 259? In 1959 the 259 was the only available v8 option. In 1960 the 289 was standard so its not the original engine, but with a 4 barrel and dual exhaust it should make decent power. 1960 and 59 have some differences in the trim and interior. I would like to see pictures. It sounds like a nice car.

pbrown
08-17-2013, 11:35 AM
maybe a ways down the line you could switch it to floor shift just for kicks.That would be cool, but with bench seats, wouldn't I need to replace them as well to make room for the shifter?

52hawk
08-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Another slight difference,the '59 would be a "Silver Hawk" in '60 & '61 they dropped the "Silver" so they are just "Hawks" since they no longer built a "Golden Hawk"[k-body] there was no need to use the" Silver" designation... Either that,or they just ran out of "Silver" name plates!!

pbrown
08-19-2013, 11:26 PM
If the planets align, I’m about to acquire a red 59 Hawk via valleyguy (Joe Diggle) in Virginia. (assuming that a local guy with “first dibs” doesn’t get it)

Well, the local guy got the Red 60 Hawk!:(

But I have a line on another Hawk, a 59 Silver Hawk in Tahiti Coral. So maybe my mistake in the title of this thread wasn't really a mistake, just me being psychic!

BobPalma
08-20-2013, 07:46 AM
It's not just Hawks that get my wife excited. Every Stude I bring home seems to render her speechless for weeks at a time.

I think it's about time for me to find another. (Stude.)

Now that's funny, Dave. :D BP

GThawkwind
08-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Here's a couple decent ones. First has a 302/C4 floor shift. Not for the purist but looks like alot of fun. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4004266346.html
More pure if you would like http://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/3997832212.html