Honorary Pass to Studebaker employees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honorary Pass to Studebaker employees

A friend was showing me some of his Grandfathers Studebakers momentous from his about 35 year career at the factory. Amongst them was a wallet size card that says Honorary Pass with his name, Monte Dishon, and picture on it and says, a retired Studebaker employee has permission to enter the factory to visit his friends in his department and signed by the Director of Industrial Relations of whom I can't make out the name. I've never seen one of these before and wondering how common they are and who they were given to.P

Where's Quinn? He'll know.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
      Where's Quinn? He'll know.
      Chris; I appreciate the confidence you have shown in me!!

They are not very common. Of the type you mention I have this one only shown below. The signature on it is H. (Harry) D. Beutlich who was Director of Public relations in the 50's. The originals were encased in plastic. There was also a later style card that came out in '63 that I also have. Th '63 version did not have the photo i.d. In any event they are both quite rare.

Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1683249
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Rare. I've looked in old Spotlights and I recall reading about a guy who retired and then went back to his department to visit his old coworkers. As you may know, any employee entering the plant needed his I.D. badge with clock number to enter. As Studebaker changed badge styles over the years many employees kept their old badges as long as they were still working at Studebaker; that's why they can still be found from time to time. But once that employee was issued a new style badge (depending on the year) the old badges (or old accumulated badges) were no longer valid to enter the plant with. Once an employee retired or quit they were supposed to turn in their current, usable badge. Now if a retired employee wanted to come back to visit and he turned his badge in like he was supposed to, obviously he had no way into the plant; so he would have been issued one of the cards you found and would have only been good for periodic use.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

That is the identical card and it is encased in plastic but I'm not sure the signature matches. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
            Rare. I've looked in old Spotlights and I recall reading about a guy who retired and then went back to his department to visit his old coworkers. As you may know, any employee entering the plant needed his I.D. badge with clock number to enter. As Studebaker changed badge styles over the years many employees kept their old badges as long as they were still working at Studebaker; that's why they can still be found from time to time. But once that employee was issued a new style badge (depending on the year) the old badges (or old accumulated badges) were no longer valid to enter the plant with. Once an employee retired or quit they were supposed to turn in their current, usable badge. Now if a retired employee wanted to come back to visit and he turned his badge in like he was supposed to, obviously he had no way into the plant; so he would have been issued one of the cards you found and would have only been good for periodic use.
            BP and his cousin found ways to get into the plant without a badge! They revealed all their secrets on how to get inside in TW!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              BP and his cousin found ways to get into the plant without a badge! They revealed all their secrets on how to get inside in TW!!

Craig
              Ok, legal way into the plant without worrying about getting caught and thrown out...
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                Ok, legal way into the plant without worrying about getting caught and thrown out...
                Ohhhhh....they got IN legally enough! (In most of their visits, that is!) They were certainly in NO RUSH to get out, though!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                X