My 50 Years With Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 50 Years With Studebaker

Today, August 15th, marks the 50th anniversary of my first day with Studebaker and it was spent in South Bend, Indiana becoming acquainted with the Studebaker empire stateside. My first, and life-remembered, impression was that this great company occupied such a huge part of South Bend. Little did I then know that Studebaker would remain an integral part of my life these many years. The first Studebaker I drove was a Wagonaire and there has been at least one Studebaker in our life for all but four years of this half century. We probably have had at least twenty Studebaker products over that time, two of which included a Mercedes-Benz 220S and a DKW Junior. That DKW was certainly a piece of work!

Allow me to do a little reminiscing about those 50 years. Many of you are aware of my stories about the relentless efforts us Canadians put forth to try and save this company. But living Studebaker daily back then only lasted for under three years. Soon to become a Studebaker collector, I quickly formed friendships with an international group of Studebaker aficionados who were instrumental in ensuring that the Studebaker legacy would become part of my life. Sandy Ross in Canada purchased one of my old company cars and got me interested in SDC. Crossing the border for the first time for a Studebaker meet, the Dudeck family and the Shrock brothers made us feel very welcome. Before too long I became Zone Coordinator, National Director and International President with encouragement from George Krem and Skip Lackie. And for sure I must acknowledge the support of Gary Lindstrom along with Phil and Cindy Brown.

Over the years I've managed to stay continuously involved with SDC with responsibilities including the Studebaker National Museum Capital Cost Committee, International Meet Committee, Turning Wheels Advertising Arbiter, Studebaker National Museum Life Trustee and, most recently, SDC's By-Laws Committee. Locally, I'm able to keep in touch with former Studebaker staff personnel such as Jack Holden, Peter Sant, John Spillett, George Wingfield, as well as Studebaker dealer Roy Graham, all of whom are SDC members.

I'm only too happy to have been able to record some of my memories in my two books, Requiem to a Pioneer and My Father The Car: Memoirs of my life with Studebaker. I continue to appreciate the opportunity to dialogue with all of you through the Studebaker Forum and Turning Wheels. I hope this will continue for many more years. Thank you for your support.

Stu Chapman

And thank you Stu, for your many years of support to both Studebaker the company and the SDC. As time goes on there are fewer and fewer people that were there when the cars were still being built, and your first-hand knowledge of the events back then is invaluable.

Dave Bonn
    '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Congratulations, Stu!
      I realize that I have know you for the VAST majority of that time and consider you to be a friend.
      We don't work as closely together as we did for a couple of periods of time, but it seems like we can just pick up a conversation when we do meet.
      Hello to Thelma and "Flex".
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Congratulations Stu. Happy Anniversary. From the Aussie contingent.
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Happy anniversary. I always enjoy our chats.
          sigpic
          55 President Deluxe
          64 Commander
          66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

It is folks such as yourself, ability to adapt, accept the inevitable, embrace the moment, and cheerfully move forward, that make this Studebaker experience so special. I get the impression that some walked away bitter, disillusioned, disappointed... never to return to enjoy or participate with us enthusiasts and collectors.

It is folks like you, Bob Bourke (RIP) and others, that occasionally hung out, visited, and shared with us memories and experiences that provide perspective, debunked myths, and a continuity of history, that would have otherwise been lost to the ages. Like it or not...that makes you one of our treasures.

Thanks for hanging around
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Cool beans, Stu, and congratulations on the milestone.

I've always admired you guys who had to have an inkling -or maybe not?- of what was going on while you were pretending that Studebaker was serious about remaining in the car-making business. Some of the dispatches from Byers Burlingame must have made your hair stand on end.

On the other hand, there were advantages:

I always wondered if the actual position of your left arm was well air-brushed out of that photo in the days before photoshop...

BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Congratulations on a big milestone, Stu. Thanks for being there then, and for continuing to be a part of the Studebaker legacy today.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Congratulations, Stu, on achieving this anniversary! And "Thank You" for your continuing contributions towards keeping the Studebaker name alive. Hopefully there will be many more anniversaries as you continue to keep Stude-fans such as myself well-informed on our favourite make.
                  Bill Jarvis

Comment

Congratulations and thank you for all you have done for Studebaker and the SDC over the years!

Mark

Comment

Thank you for making this club the best. I can remember 50 years ago going to the Madren Brothers Studebaker dealership in Spokane. My dad always enjoyed seeing the new cars.

Comment

Your input to our forum is always appreciated. 50 years of training help accomplish this.
                        Perry
                        \'50 Business Champion
                        \'50 Starlight Champion
                        \'60 Lark Convertible,
                        \'63 GT R1,
                        \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

International congratulations from Melbourne. I linked up with Studebaker here back in 1959. Well Done.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                          MELBOURNE.

Comment

Stu -

Congratulations on celebrating 50 years in the Studebaker family. I for one enjoyed My Father the Car, and having you here to share with us is an invaluable resource for younger enthusiasts such as myself, who never had the privilege of living during the era of Studebakers being built.

Thanks for (sharing) the memories!
                            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Jim has been a Studebaker man for a long time John.
                              Last edited by davepink53; 08-16-2013, 01:55 PM.
                              Dave Pink
                              Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
                              1925 ER Tourer
                              1925 Panel Delivery
                              1953 Champion Sedan
                              1957 Golden Hawk
                              1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                              http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Working...