PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Heat Riser Spring

alex54
08-15-2013, 01:12 PM
A newbie here with my first post.

I recently bought a '54 Champion that underwent a restoration in '95, driven a while, then went into storage. It's the most original car I've seen in a long while, and would like to keep it that way as much as possible. My problem is the heat riser spring is broken, and the valve is seized. I've searched, but cannot find that spring. I know I can modify and remove/disable the heat riser, (I've done it on my one of my other cars) but I would like to keep this one. So my questions are:
1. Is there a source where I can get the spring for a '54 Champion 6?
2. Can I use a spring from something else like a Chevy 6?

-Alex

tbredehoft
08-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Studebaker International lists a complete rebuild kit for the Champion, 1939-60 on page 176 of their current catalog, pt No. 801354 for $65.
I'm sure other vendors will also have it or something similar.

alex54
08-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the reply Tom.
I've seen that particular part during my search, but the picture looks like its for the V8, not the 6 (Mine is in the manifold itself, not a separate piece like the picture). I also noticed, they use the words "heat riser thermostat" with no picture. I wonder if that is the spring. Can anyone verify this is indeed the right part?

-Alex

tbredehoft
08-15-2013, 03:26 PM
I think you will find that your "spring" is a bi-metal strip, that straightes (or curls) as it heats. That w ould be the 'Thermostat'. The listing is for Champions, the is a different listing for Commanders, which would be V-8s.

alex54
08-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks Tom, Ill go ahead and order. I'ts not that I don't trust vendors.... I've had very good experiences with most vendors for my Chevy, MG, and Triumphs, but I've had a few not so good experiences too. I just need to feel out the Studebaker vendors.

2moredoors
08-15-2013, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=. I just need to feel out the Studebaker vendors.[/QUOTE]
Any Studebaker vendor advertising in the SDC Magazine Turing Wheels and is reported as not dealing "fairly" will be investigated by the club and advertising privileges may be revoked. I have had no problem with any of the Studebaker vendors. I would not say that about dealing on ebay.

alex54
08-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Any Studebaker vendor advertising in the SDC Magazine Turing Wheels and is reported as not dealing "fairly" will be investigated by the club and advertising privileges may be revoked. I have had no problem with any of the Studebaker vendors. I would not say that about dealing on ebay.

That is really good to know...
Thanks.

StudeRich
08-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Alex, the picture you see is a Generic Picture for the list below, it is not what you get for a 6.

There are many such Pics. in the Catalog with one Picture and many applications below.

The Studebaker Vendors at: studebakervendors.com (http://studebakervendors.com) are all very knowledgeable about the Parts they sell and aim to be accurate, but the best way to order is NOT by description, but by PART NUMBER, always.

Studebaker Chassis and Body Parts Catalogs and Shop Manuals are also available to help with items not listed.

Alan
08-16-2013, 10:22 PM
It is P/N 196661 for the spring. Just remove the 2 bolts and slide out if you can the shaft with the flapper and inspect to see what else has frozen up in 60 years.

altair
08-17-2013, 07:29 PM
I would like to suggest that you put the whole thing in an electrolysis bath for 2-3 days or a strong solution of vinegar and lemon juice maby for a week either method will clean it up Dave