PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify if this is a Starlight or Regal > 1953 Studebaker Champion

kingfozz
08-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Hello all, I am listing this vehicle for sale for an uncle of mine and I wanted to see if someone could tell me if this car was a starlight or regal by looking at these pictures. I do not know what features separate one from the other. Any help would be appreciated.

fargoguy
08-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Hello all, I am listing this vehicle for sale for an uncle of mine and I wanted to see if someone could tell me if this car was a starlight or regal by looking at these pictures. I do not know what features separate one from the other. Any help would be appreciated.

Not a starlight for sure- this would be considered a 1953 Champion Two-door Sedan- not a starlight coupe. Regal refers to the Trim Level, someone more knowledgeable than me will have to provide you with the information on that.

warrlaw1
08-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Somebody spent a lot of money to bring back a 53 sedan. Hard to get $ back on a coupe. Impossible to get $ back on a sedan. As for trim level, I would guess deluxe (lower than regal). It has the windshield stainless, but not much more.

Stu Chapman
08-13-2013, 02:33 PM

What is the asking price?
Stu Chapman

tony58
08-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Check that A/C out in the right window...That brings back memories...
Tony

studegary
08-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Welcome!
As stated, it is definitely not a Starlight. It is a sedan, not a coupe.
If you post the Serial Number (on the driver's door jamb) and the body plate information (on the engine side, right firewall) I will tell you a lot more about the car (model, trim, where built, etc.).

JoeHall
08-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Surely it is an optical occlusion that the hood ornament is waaay crooked !

warrlaw1
08-13-2013, 03:10 PM
The car looks really familiar. Old eBay post?

ST2DE5
08-13-2013, 03:20 PM
It's funny the guy ask if it was a Starlight or a Regal. He didn't ask for you guys to pick it to death. NO WONDER WE CAN'T GET NEW MEMBERS.

62champ
08-13-2013, 03:30 PM
I think this is the same car that was on E-pay time and time and time again...

52-fan
08-13-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't think anyone was being too critical. The seller needs to know that a sedan will not sell for coupe prices if he is looking at a price guide. It is a beautiful car and would make a nice ride.
Pictures appear to have been taken at a used car lot and the seller may not have had it very long.

ST2DE5
08-13-2013, 03:41 PM
He just ask a simple question. I have a 2 door sedan. Does this mean it ain't worth a dam.

warrlaw1
08-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Means if you spent 40K on it you won't get your money back. I like the sedans. Bullet noses and C/Ks are up there in the public lust list. Sedans are great, but if you're selling one, you have to be mindful that it won't easily return the thousands it costs to keep one of these babies in fine condition.

Roscomacaw
08-13-2013, 04:46 PM
In spite of the hood ornament being cattywhompus, I like this thing. Really classy and speaks well of what Bourke and crew were able to do and still meet management's directives.

Flashback
08-13-2013, 05:29 PM
I don't even like green, BUT, with that funky air tunnel removed and the hood ornament straightened, I would love to have that car, and take it to shows(might even put the a/c back on for shows. LOL), cruise in's and it could share the shop with the saturday night special. O, check the number on firewall, passenger side top. Then look up Studebaker models. Its a F1 or a F3 , custom or deluxe, Regal is 5 . Here is a shot of a commander 4 dr
Yours should have 14G where this one has 4H and it should have either F-1 or F-3 where this one has W-5. Hope this helps

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/Studebaker055.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/Flashback53/media/Studebaker055.jpg.html)

rockne10
08-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Carl, your sedan is not worthless. It does not share the market with the C/K models but it's actually a more comfortable and better built Studebaker.

Mr. Foster, to clarify your query, Starlight was the model referenced as a five passenger coupe long wheel-base. What you have is a two door sedan short wheelbase. It is a lovely car! :!!: and should be a joy to drive or show. The sedans are rarely detail restored; they simply don't return the investment. That also tends to make the survivors a bit more scarce, and a growing faction of collectors are starting to get a woody for the lesser siblings.
Regal would refer to the trim level.
On the body tag under the hood will appear F1, F3 or F5. F1 is Custom (low trim), F3 is Deluxe (mid market) and F5 is Regal (more chrome and standard accessories).

Jeff_H
08-14-2013, 09:51 AM
I think it is probably a F3. F1 would have painted headlamp and tail lamp bezels and no stainless on the windshield and rear glass. F5 would have the chrome pot metal trim around the side windows. This car seems in the middle. I can't see the steering wheel too well in the picture to tell if it is 2 spoke or 3. A 2 spoke wheel would be in the F1 and 3 spoke in F3. A F5 would have the fancier wheel with the chrome horn ring.

That solid Lombard Green looks good on that car. It has a few custom touches: Rims would originally be same color as the car and the lettering on the trunk lift bar would be painted white with black background instead of red.

Nox
08-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Hey kinfozz... if you've got a computer & can post stuf here it shouldn't be much of a problem to google also, right?
Maby... you wanted someone here to bite the hook?
Only thoughts...
:)

Lark Parker
08-14-2013, 11:28 AM
It's possibly a fishing expedition. The internet address shown on the window in the background of one of the pics leads to a car dealer in Arkansas. More pictures and a price listed there for the nice Champion.

kingfozz
08-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Not a starlight for sure- this would be considered a 1953 Champion Two-door Sedan- not a starlight coupe. Regal refers to the Trim Level, someone more knowledgeable than me will have to provide you with the information on that.

Thank you for your input.

kingfozz
08-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Thank you for the input

kingfozz
08-14-2013, 12:55 PM
I dont think so... at least not I. But I was thinking of advertising it there

sweetolbob
08-14-2013, 12:59 PM
A few more shots and an expected price. It is a nice looking sedan.

http://www.parkermotorcompany.com/1953-Studebaker-champion-Fayetteville-Arkansas-72703/4508946

Bob

Flashback
08-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Hey Kingfozz, after all that at least let us know what it is = F1 or 3. Looks like you have already advertised it. Nice car. If you would post a real price someone here might be intrested.

jimmijim8
08-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Do you actually think the poster is anywhere near interested in becoming a SDC member?
It's funny the guy ask if it was a Starlight or a Regal. He didn't ask for you guys to pick it to death. NO WONDER WE CAN'T GET NEW MEMBERS.

skyway
08-14-2013, 02:31 PM
This car sat outside a body shop in St. Louis (south side of Manchester Road just west of Barratt Station Road) County for quite a while this past winter/early spring, and yes, I think it may have been discussed here too.
I stopped and looked at it one afternoon; nice enough car, with a non-stock but real nice tweed interior.
Do not remember the cattywampus hood ornament.

studegary
08-14-2013, 03:02 PM
The S/N is for a late in the model year 1953 Champion built in South Bend, IN.

StudeRich
08-14-2013, 03:07 PM
This car sat outside a body shop in St. Louis (south side of Manchester Road just west of Barratt Station Road) County for quite a while this past winter/early spring, and yes, I think it may have been discussed here too.
I stopped and looked at it one afternoon; nice enough car, with a non-stock but real nice tweed interior.
Do not remember the cattywampus hood ornament.

OK; that makes sense, either the rear screw fell out OR, while sitting outside someone attempted to "Remove" the cool hood ornament and failed.