Help me choose mufflers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose mufflers.

The Lark is FINALLY almost done! Soon it will get a new exhaust system. I think I want dual exhaust, but I'm not sure what kind of mufflers to use. It has a rebuilt 259 and I think it could sound really good with the right mufflers installed. I don't want it LOUD under normal driving. I do however want to hear it if I get on it a little bit. I've heard some SBCs that sound great and I know of a flathead Ford V8 that you can't hear running but if he gooses it, it sure sounds nice. Also, I'm not looking for that 'cackle' on deceleration. I guess I want something fairly mellow that can still make some noise when provoked. Any suggestion, thoughts and comments would be appreciated and considered (and possibly ignored).

contact Don Simmons, one of our Stude vendors that makes complete stainless steel exhausts, plus SS mufflers. He has quiet and medium tone (plenty loud) for all Studebakers, has loud for Avantis.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I made a mistake and put his quiet mufflers on. Now I sit at the light looking at the Tach to make sure it's still running.
      sigpic

Packardbakerly,
      J.D.

Comment

Originally posted by RareBird View Post
        I made a mistake and put his quiet mufflers on. Now I sit at the light looking at the Tach to make sure it's still running.
        Yeah...I don't have a tach so I want to be able to hear it, but I'm not looking to rattle the windows. I want opinions from people who have tried various types or brands of mufflers and what they liked or disliked about them.

Comment

Not to be one of those folks, but I'm on the same boat with my commander. I want to put duel exaust on it, and still be able to hear it. but not rattle everything in a 10ft radius.

Comment

Just take it to PayLess and tell them what you are thinking, as far as noise is concerned. They will hook you up, while you sit in their lobby and sip coffee.

Comment

1. Definitely buy stainless and you'll be done with it.

2. Definitely have some sort of crossover connection between the two sides. It can be a simple "H" or a fancy "X". This is necessary to prevent the steady speed highway resonance/drone which can drive one nuts in short order.

3. Sound is so relative. One old Studer my age thinks his Avanti sounds perfect. His grandchildren can't stand to ride in it, especially in the back seat. Old ears don't hear what young ears hear. Back seat sounds different than driver's seat. Windows up with AC on sounds different than windows down. High compression/longer cam R1 will sound different than standard compression 259". Short wheelbase Lark/Avanti/sedan will sound different than long wheelbase C/K/GT. Bystanders hear a different sound than occupant; that car which sounds so great on driveby might not be so tolerable inside.

4. Don't get carried away on larger pipes. Even 2" is overkill for a 259". Chances are, that flathead you liked so much might have small diameter pipes. Appropriately sized pipes are less expensive, easier to route, run warmer and sound better on a small engine.

5. Finally, you're not marrying the mufflers. Try the medium tone. If you think they're too loud, you will always be able to swap for the quiet tone and get back what you paid for the medium.

6. FWIW, most old ears don't care for the hollow "flowmaster" sound the younger pony car crowd likes so much.

Your opinions and results may vary.

jack vines
              Last edited by PackardV8; 08-13-2013, 09:16 AM.
              PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by rknight89 View Post
                The Lark is FINALLY almost done! Soon it will get a new exhaust system. I think I want dual exhaust, but I'm not sure what kind of mufflers to use. It has a rebuilt 259 and I think it could sound really good with the right mufflers installed. I don't want it LOUD under normal driving. I do however want to hear it if I get on it a little bit. I've heard some SBCs that sound great and I know of a flathead Ford V8 that you can't hear running but if he gooses it, it sure sounds nice. Also, I'm not looking for that 'cackle' on deceleration. I guess I want something fairly mellow that can still make some noise when provoked. Any suggestion, thoughts and comments would be appreciated and considered (and possibly ignored).
                Go to the major muffler manufactures websites, they have a ton of sound files of different size, type, and HP engines with a variety of their mufflers. That will give you some idea of what to look for. I have Don's SS system with Magnaflow oval glasspacks 2 1/4" on my 355 SBC Avanti and it fits well and sounds they way I like 'em.

My 74 will be louder and have a shorter system made locally from mild steel.

Only you know the price point and sound you want so start with the web sites.

Bob

Comment

This question comes up occasionally on the HAMB and one tip I've learned from there is to find out a brand of muffler, X, Y or Z and go to YouTube and do a search; odds are you'll be able to find someone who has a video posted with the sound of that muffler running and if not with your particular engine, certainly one close.
                  You can even find sounds of single, dual or H or X crossover pipe sounds, depending.

Comment

THANKS for the input guys!!!! I'll have to talk to some exhaust people and make the call myself. I realize 'sounds good' is very subjective. Just wanted some opinions. Anything I SHOULDN'T do?

Comment

unless you have an excellent speaker system hooked up to your 'puter, use headphones/ear buds to hear them.

use the factory or supplier sites to listen. the you tube sites "may" also have headers/larger pipes, etc. make sure they are close to what you're looking for in pipes, etc. if noted on the video/audio.

everything Mr. Vines stated above.

i'd go with the stainless - medium as mentioned above.

my $0.02
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

For what it's worth, while stainless steel is great because it doesn't rust, my experience is that is gives the exhaust a "tinny" sound. It did it on my Firebird, and my TR6. Mild steel just sounds better, so that's what I put on my Lark 327 Chevy.

Comment

The plain and simple answer is Smithys mufflers.

Comment

Flowmaster Series 40's really nice under acceleration and at speed are a low resonance sound.
                            sigpic
                            John
                            63R-2386
                            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by RareBird View Post
                              KNOW IT !

My elderly neighbor says they wake her when I arrive home but adds, it's a very mellow awakening.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X