53 K body window help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 53 K body window help needed

I am rebuilding the doors and windows on my 53 K body and need some help. I am about ready to order all the needed parts from SI, but can't find 2 of them. One is the window regulator spring, the other is the "wood filler" that goes between the side glass and the lower window frame. The body parts catalog shows these as: 287233 for the spring and 304187 for the wood. My spring is broken, while the rest of the regulator operates smoothly. Does any one have a spring for sale? SI doesn't list them. My wood filler was rotted out. I can cut a pc of wood to fit, but what would the dimensions be? Thanks for the help
    Last edited by 53hardtop; 08-13-2013, 07:48 AM. Reason: grammar
    Rob in ND
    \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

I suppose you are dealing with the side glass in the doors? The rear quarter windows are a bear to install. I searched eBay for better regulators and eventually had some sent from SDC member Bob Petersen (CandBstudebakers). PM him and see if he has the parts you need. Good luck.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Yes, I am dealing with the side glass in the doors. I already dealt with the rear 1/4 windows. One 1/4 regulator was good, the other had a broken tooth on the tiny little gear. Took it apart, built a new tooth with my welder and a file. Then put it all back together. Seems to work smoothly. I got a reply from www.studebakerswap.com with someone that has the spring I need for the front. I called SI and they were going to look, but it didn't sound promising.
      Rob in ND
      \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Comment

Good stuff. I admire you for fixing your rear quarter regulator. My installer hadn't drank for years, but almost started again after wrestling with the rears. Good luck.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Just a thought; in checking the parts books it looks like that spring was used in many different Studebaker window regulators up into the 1960's. You might to look for a good used regulator, perhaps from the passenger side or rear window where it would get less use, and pull the spring out of it.
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

"the other is the "wood filler" that goes between the side glass and the lower window frame."

Rob, is this the thin pc of wood that sits inside the steel window frame bottom (that the regulator attaches to) and the rubber "gasket" that is around the glass rests on it? Only pc of wood I ever found in my '53K door windows...

That channel in the frame is about 3/8" wide or so as I recall. If it is what I think, I just cut some strips of rubberized belting material that was about 1/8" thick or so. It just needs to be thick enough that the rubber sits up high enough so that the beveled edges don't drop into the channel. The rubber gasket material I got that goes around the glass to cushion from the frame has a wider rib on the top of it that should be flush with the frame top edge. The wood served to push the rubber up so that the rib would sit on the bottom frame top edge.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
            X