Possible option for Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible option for Studebakers

Hope this is the right place to post this here. I have been looking for a better option to replace my Stromberg WW 2bbl carb on the camper.

I contacted Jeff Rice at Deep-N-Hock Racing in Georgia and asked if he could modify a Studebaker 2bbl manifold to accept a Rochester Quadrajet carb. In my case I was trying to get better mileage as the performance was adequate. I had originally used a Carter AFB off of an R1 engine and saw 14 to 15 mpg on the highway and around 12-11 in town. The Stromberg was only giving me 11-12 overall and only a best of 13 on the highway only. So thinking that the small sized primaries and very large secondaries would give me the best of both worlds I dove in. Here is a picture of the manifold as modified by Jeff:

The carb I purchased on sale from Jegs for under $150 and free shipping. It is a rebuilt and as someone who has rebuilt hundreds of carbs it by all appearances looks to be very well done and the performance so far bears that out. Here is a shot of the carb bolted to the manifold. We used a Quadrajet to Holley 1" aluminum spacer to neck down the secondaires:

Upon removing the carb I verified my diagnosis that the lifter valley gasket had slipped and was causing a big oil leak at freeway speeds. So a new gasket, glued down this time was installed and then the intake and carb were bolted into place:

An Edelbrock flat black air cleaner was the finishing touch. The fuel line shown is temproary as I was not sure if i would like this set up. Keep in mind the manifold mods were not cheap so you can bet I will keep playing with this until I am convinced it won't work before I remove it. The first test drive of 75 miles produced 16.8 mpg, a huge improvement:

I had to adjust the secondary air flapper plate spring and make it looser so the secondaries would work better and earlier as I shift the truck at 3000 rpm. A picture and written description of that adjustment can be found on Racing Studebakers.com under the projects section and Quadrajet manifold. The wife and I drove the 100+ mile round trip to the Lompoc car show this past Saturday. Averaged in the 12-13 range for mileage but I had to consider there were two very big hills that I had to climb without the aid of the secodaries as I had not had a chance to dial them in yet. So it was a long pull at slow speed without the secondaries and I am sure that killed the mileage some. Planning a trip North at the end of the month and by then it should be dialed in as I drive it daily. I'll let you know what the mileage is on that trip which should be about 300 miles round trip as we are going to Monterey for the weekend. If this works I hope that some of the Studebaker fans can consider it as another option for thier cars and trucks. Next step is a multi port fuel injection which should be ready by years end.
    Dan

Here's a look 'down the throat' of the adapter plate on the manifold...

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Very nice looking Intake, and a High Quality Job, like I would expect from Jeff. However to me it looks like an ordinary Stude. 2 Brl. Manifold Mod. to Edelbrock/AFB 4 Brl. configuration.
      It is the Quadratoilet Adapter that makes it all work nicely.

Do you actually think you would get 1 Mile per gallon better? With all the "Fun" available at full throttle, I don't know how you could stay out of it, even on a Truck!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That's all it is, Rich. A 2bbl conversion manifold.
        Dan sent me his adapter and all I did was blend it to the intake inlets.
        Did clean up all the casting flash and port matched the runners to the steel Stude intake gaskets....
        Dan did the rest....
        Jeff

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Very nice looking Intake, and a High Quality Job, like I would expect from Jeff. However to me it looks like an ordinary Stude. 2 Brl. Manifold Mod. to Edelbrock/AFB 4 Brl. configuration.
        It is the Quadratoilet Adapter that makes it all work nicely.

Do you actually think you would get 1 Mile per gallon better? With all the "Fun" available at full throttle, I don't know how you could stay out of it, even on a Truck!
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Lookin' good guys!!!

Say, Dan- refresh my memory please.
          I know you are runnin' a 289, but with what trans and what ratio in the diff?
          Do you have any idea what the rig weighs?

You ought to hear the wheels in my head turnin',
          and/or smell the smoke by now...

StudeDave '57
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Hey Dan,
            Enjoyed having you as my neighbor at the Lompoc show.
            Info has been passed on your rig.
            Hope all is well......See you at the next shindig....

Comment

Dave,
              289 stock high mileage engine. BW 3 speed with OD, 4.88 gears with 28" tire and 5800 lbs. wet.

Al,
              Enjoyed getting to know you and I still think your truck should have won the class. It is a first class truck and you should be very proud of it especially the wood work.
              Dan

Comment

The hardest part is going to be keeping my foot out of it as it sounds real cool and gets real loud when the secondaries engage. But I can almost see the gas gauge move when I punch it.

Comment

Dan,
                  I think you need to "put your foot in it" and drive up here to Oregon before the weather changes and the pass over this Siskiyous becomes un-passable. There are still some fun Studebaker events upcoming before we close the garage door.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
                    Dave,
                    289 stock high mileage engine. BW 3 speed with OD, 4.88 gears with 28" tire and 5800 lbs. wet.
                    Dan
                    Thanks Dan!!!

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                    There are still some fun Studebaker events upcoming before we close the garage door.
                    Indeed~
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...757#post760757

StudeDave '57
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Update

Four days of around town driving with two short freeway blasts. Secondaries are adjusted but not quite right yet. 15+ mpg. So the in town mileage has gone from 11 to 15+ almost 16. So it appears the engine likes the smaller primaries. Jetting must be close I will take it over to measure the Co at the tailpipe soon. One issue is the idle quality. It was smoother with the two barrel and either the AFB or the QJet. Compression is within 5 lbs of each other and vacuum gauge is 17" and steady needle. Still learning how to make it work better but happy with it so far.
                      Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
                        Four days of around town driving with two short freeway blasts. Secondaries are adjusted but not quite right yet. 15+ mpg. So the in town mileage has gone from 11 to 15+ almost 16. So it appears the engine likes the smaller primaries. Jetting must be close I will take it over to measure the Co at the tailpipe soon. One issue is the idle quality. It was smoother with the two barrel and either the AFB or the QJet. Compression is within 5 lbs of each other and vacuum gauge is 17" and steady needle. Still learning how to make it work better but happy with it so far.
                        Dan
                        How are the hot re-starts, after 20-30 minutes of hot soak? At that time, does it start easier, harder, or about the same as the AFB & WW?

Comment

Heat Soak Restarts

Joe,
                          It seems to be a lot better than the WW 2 BBL. and even a little better than the AFB. Nice clean and quick restart even this week when temps have been in the 80's. Another new quirk is the exhaust note. Now when you blip the throttle in neutral you get a rap sound that it didn't have with the other two carbs. And it seems ot rev up quicker and higher with just the slightest throttle movement. In otherwords a quicker throttle response. The rap noise is kind of sinister sounding, in fact a man and woman were standing in front of a shop as I cruised by, they were doing waht most people do when they see the camper, staring. I blipped the throttle and she turned to her husband and I heard her tell him "Oh and it sounds healthy". I will try and record the exhaust sound so that I can hear what it sounds like to other people as I have only heard it from the cab or under the hood. I can tell you that in second gear at 2500 rpm's I can floor the throttle and it revs to 4000 real quick which is different than before. More as I learn the differences and experiment with timing and jetting.
                          Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan,
                            I've been watching this thread with great interest. Had thought of installing a thermoquad on a Stude, mainly to combat vaporlock related problems. But decided to wait for someone else to try it first, and glad you have.

AFAIK, all carbs with electric chokes have a problem in that, the choke element will cool down and close way before the motor is actually cooled down. So, after a 20-30 minute heat soak, in addition to gas having boiled over into the intake, the choke is closed which results in even more un-needed fuel going into the intake when cranking the motor. With AFB & WW carbs, if the pedal is pushed to the floor, mechanical linkage will force the choke open a bit. T-quads and Q-jets have no such provision, and rely solely on a manifold vacuum operated pull-off, which takes quite a bit of cranking to activate. OTOH, supposedly, T-quads & Q-jets are less prone to boil over. Like I said, glad you have decided to try it first.

Please continue to keep us posted

Comment

Ed and Dave,
                              Would love to come up for the meet but the doc still won't let me go back to work so no money for fun stuff right now. The visit to the Bell museum would be worth it alone. Bummer maybe next year.

Joe,
                              I have not hooked up the choke and may not as it starts right up in the morning and the only issue is having to keep the rpm's in the 1200 to 1500 range for a minute or two until it builds some heat. It would probably be better if I didn't block the heat riser passage. I did that because of the hot boil over situation that Studes are famous for.
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X