PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: Rear Drum Install

Washtubman
08-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Got the rear drums off, brakes and wheel cylinders on, and ready to reinstall drums. Do I remove the key from the keyway or screw it on with the key in place? I believe I read 170 ft. lbs., sound right? And make sure the shaft is dry......

RadioRoy
08-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Remove the key. Put the drum on first. Push it on as far as you can by hand. Then insert the key flush with the outer end of the hub. The taper on the key compliments the taper on the axle groove. You want the key to be as far OUT as possible and the taper goes inboard and towards the axle.

What you do not want is for the key to be too far inboard and put pressure on the ramp where the keyway disappears into the axle. that's how axles get cracked and wheels fall off..

Washtubman
08-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Thanks Roy. I have the rear of the car on jack stands, so I guess I have to install a drum on one side as tight as I can get it by hand, put on the wheel and tire, let it down to the ground and then torque the other side, install that wheel and tire, let that side down, then take the wheel and tire back off the first side and torque it and then put that wheel back on. Make sense?

I don't see any other way to get 170 lbs of torque without the opposite side having the wheel on the ground. Or can I put both wheels on, let it down, and then torque both sides with the wheels on? I'm probably making this more difficult than it is; but thanks for the help.

tbredehoft
08-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Run both nuts up, snug and give them a good twist. enough to seat the nut well on the hub. Set the car on the ground and torque them to your 170, then continue turning the nut to the next slot for the cotter pin. Do both sides. The tires will flex enough to let the hub seat on the shaft.

55 56 PREZ 4D
08-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Yes, the shaft and inside the hub has to be clean and dry.
The taper on the key has to go in, in a specific direction.
I am not near a shop manual right now to verify it, and I've had a short memory for such a long time that I don't even remember how long I've had a short memory.
Someone please clarify the direction.

rockne10
08-12-2013, 10:03 PM
There's a tapered end to the key. The taper should face and approach the spindle. Slide the hub on a very clean and dry (no lubricant) spindle and then insert the key, taper first and to the center. Tap it in just mid the spindle threads. The washer and hub nut will draw it in to its seat. I believe the manual recommends a new key always be used. Few follow this recommendation. I keep a length of 1/4" keystock in stock. It's a simple matter to cut and taper a new key.