PDA

View Full Version : The Big New Studebaker... yes.. new concept.

'66Commander
08-12-2013, 12:20 PM
I havent stubmlled upon this yet, but check it out:
http://studebakermotorcompany.com/home/home/

This is a plan bring the Studebaker name back to bussiness. What are your thoughts on this?
Personally, it wouldn't quite be the same. But I wouldn't mind seeing it out there. Perhaps it would bring more people into the classic Studebaker history.
Have any of you heard of this project?

Chris Pile
08-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Oh, geez. Not again.

Cowtown Commander
08-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Doesn't have a chance. The rising capital required to produce and sell autos are what took all but 3 US companies out of business. These three would have gone out of business in 2009 if not for Federal Bailout. The Studebaker name means nothing to 99.99% of current car purchasers --- just a total pipe dream.

53commander
08-12-2013, 12:44 PM
For $24.00 you can buy a T-shirt :lol:

jclary
08-12-2013, 12:53 PM
That's all we need...the YUGOIFICATION of the Studebaker name:ohmy::eek::o...

Wonder how long it will be before we find another desperate ego driven wanna be automotive mogul caught up in one more lucrative "fast-cash" criminal sting by some federal agency law enforcement hotshots wanting to impress politicians, reporters, and (of course) their wives.:QQ:

(Not that I would attempt a cynical comment:whome:)

tony58
08-12-2013, 01:01 PM
They have brought "Indian" motorcycles back several times---But its really not a Indian---
Tony

tjanowia
08-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Why not? Tesla has built a beautiful new car with very high consumer satisfaction ratings and is starting to make a profit with stocks climbing. It was started by some guy who already paid off his government loans and the prices are supposed to start coming down by next year. Got to sit in one in Portland, Oregon last week and was very impressed.

'66Commander
08-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Oh, geez. Not again.

What do you mean?

Sadly its true 99.99% don't really care about it. Especially with my generation. Most people don't even know what Studebakers are. Whenever I talk about it people are always saying "What make is it?"
"Studebaker."
"No what MAKE... Like Ford, Fiat, Crystler."
"..Studebaker. They went under in the mid 60's"

I've had that conversation a number of times.
It's not only my generation, but even earlier generations.
But I try and let people know about Studebaker where I can.

I've seen the ads for the "new" Indian motorcylces.

I would like to see something out with a Studebaker name. But I will know its not true. Kinda like "Hostess" is back.

But they really should go back to the classic desings, but modernize them. If I could buy a car with the modern features, but have it look like a 51 or 53 commander, I'd buy that in a heart beat!

8E45E
08-12-2013, 02:15 PM
BTDT: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?57667-Studebaker-is-coming-back!!!!&highlight=china

(Note the search word)

Craig

JimC
08-12-2013, 02:23 PM
This guy has been the legal holder of the Studebaker name for quite some time. Most of the attempts to re-ignite Studebaker over the last several years have been his effort.

I applaud him on his love for the brand, and desire to see the heritage continue, but I can't help seeing nearly impossible challenges to overcome. Could it be done? Oh, absolutely. The point about Tesla is a good one. A car company can start up in this day in age and make a profit. I think the big challenge really comes down to the question, why would anyone buy the new Studebaker?

Tesla provides something new - an electric sports car, and an upcoming long range pure electric "family" vehicle. There's a desire for that, so the company stands a chance. If the new Studebaker is just some re-branded existing car, or if it's just like all the other cars already out there, it will flip flop and wither away into nothing before it ever becomes something to begin with. Anyone remember the Studebaker XUV a few years back? They even managed to build a handful of actual, working cars from that. It flopped, because it was pretty much a clone of every other oversized sport utility vehicle out there.

There's a legitimate albeit niche market for unique sports cars. With the Avanti II only recently having gone out of production, to me it would make a lot of sense, at least from the standpoint of creating a product people wanted, for the current owner of the Studebaker name, to also acquire the Avanti II rights. Bring them together, and offer a new "genuine" Studebaker Avanti. Start from there, promote the snot out of it, and maybe, at the very least, Avanti's could come back into the market. But coming up with a whole new car from scratch, one without any current fans or interest, and no overwhelming trait currently missing from the market that people want, is just a recipe for yet another failed attempt to re-ignite the name. At least in my humble opinion.

Avantict
08-12-2013, 02:28 PM
The best way to make a small fortune in the automobile business is to start with a large one. Its pretty darn near impossible but when it comes to Avantis I've learned never to say never.

'66Commander
08-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Ha this site must make its way up here every now and then. Its a shame.
The XUV is hideous. Almost as bad as most Subarus haha.
I do give kudos to him for trying to revamp the name and being very determined about it. But we will see how far it goes.

Bo Markham
08-12-2013, 03:31 PM
What do you mean?

Sadly its true 99.99% don't really care about it. Especially with my generation. Most people don't even know what Studebakers are. Whenever I talk about it people are always saying "What make is it?"
"Studebaker."
"No what MAKE... Like Ford, Fiat, Crystler."
"..Studebaker. They went under in the mid 60's"

I've had that conversation a number of times.
It's not only my generation, but even earlier generations.
But I try and let people know about Studebaker where I can.

I've seen the ads for the "new" Indian motorcylces.

I would like to see something out with a Studebaker name. But I will know its not true. Kinda like "Hostess" is back.

But they really should go back to the classic desings, but modernize them. If I could buy a car with the modern features, but have it look like a 51 or 53 commander, I'd buy that in a heart beat!

The only real problem I see with your answer is that Studebaker didn't go under in the mid 60's. It merely closed down the automotive division of the corporation. This even after the division started showing a small profit. Studebaker as a company, ie. corporation lasted into the late 70's, still producing a line of fine products until it was absorbed by Mcgraw-Edison in 1979. For a number of years after that it was still listed as a division of McGraw-Edison.

Not trying to be nit picking, but a better answer would be, Studebaker decided to get out of the car business and pursue other more profitable products.

Commander Eddie
08-12-2013, 03:37 PM
With support like ours the poor guys doesn't stand a chance.

Chris Pile
08-12-2013, 04:14 PM
With support like ours the poor guys doesn't stand a chance.

You really think anyone but us gives a rat's patoot about this guys' junk?

StudeRich
08-12-2013, 04:39 PM
/Cut/I havent stubmlled upon this yet, but check it out:/Cut/

Talk about "New Concept"? What the heck is THIS supposed to mean? "Stubmilled" isn't this something you would do on a Lathe or Mill in a Machine Shop? :D

Look like a really BAD spellchecker went WILD! :(

Since several attempts have been made with many Vehicle types since 2002, you have to assume it is going nowhere, a nice Dream, but not happening.

Nox
08-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Just as well if it doesn't happen; seems all newer cars just have to be ugly by role anyway.
The only company (in my un-humble opinion) who's been able to do something cool again, even if they had to re-start with modern-ugly design, is Triumph motorcycles & if Studebaker could do something like that... THEN!!! ...it would be gold!
& I sure wouldn't mind...
So I'm waiting...

Stu Chapman
08-12-2013, 05:25 PM
As one of the few remaining survivors of our once proud automotive division I believe I can talk about Mr. Reed's multi-year project with some degree of understanding.

First of all, I am not going to make any statements that are potentially defamatory. So let's not get carried away with comments that potentially could get you sued for libel.

For those members who have read my book, My Father The Car, you will remember that I touched base on this subject. To keep it simple, the following two paragraphs cover my writing verbatim.

"Studebaker Corporation was acquired by Wagner Electric in 1967 and then merged with Worthington Corporation to become Studebaker Worthington. The name was dropped in 1979 when McGraw Edison acquired the company. McGraw-Edison was, in turn, purchased by Cooper Industries, later selling off its automotive parts divisions to Federal Mogul."

"In 2002, Mr. Tom Raines picked up the Studebaker brand name and created a new company known as Studebaker Motor Company Inc., intending to produce and market motor scooters, motorcycles, automobiles and pickups by summer of 2009 under the brand name Studebaker. Ric W. Reed is now the President and CEO of the company, with its headquarters in Westminster, Colorado. And the world waits."

SDC members, I cannot, or will not, comment as to the legality of the Raines/Reed registration of the Studebaker name. I will say that anyone with sufficient capital certainly has the right to conceive, develop and produce any product he/she desires. Although, I'm certainly not a financial consultant I do believe I can reasonably suggest that financial investment in the Studebaker Motor Company would be ill advised. It's been nearly 12 years since this corporation came to life and there has been no indication that design and production will commence any time in the foreseeable future. I might also remind everyone that the Studebaker XUV was a conception of Avanti Motors and had nothing to do with Mr. Reed.

As previously indicated by other members, this subject seem to rear its head every so often and Mr. Reed does not appear to be any closer to achieving his dream, nor has he been able to raise the necessary financing, so I suggest that we simply let the matter rest.

By the way, several years ago I also had a dream of resurrecting Studebaker. I always wondered if Studebaker could ever be re-born. At the time Chrysler was phasing out its K-car line, along with the Chrysler Cordoba, I had my Chapman Morris Advertising art director creatively add a 1966 Studebaker front end to a Plymouth Reliant. It looked great. We then experimented with a Hawk front end on the Chrysler Cordoba. Equally great. The next move was for me to contact Chrysler President Lee Iacocca to give him the idea of the century. After much consideration, and outside consultation, we never did make that call. I often wonder, what if? But then it really was just a dream. Interestingly after reading Lee Iacocca's book about three years ago, I did email the gentleman and told him about my background and that years-old dream. I never received a response.

So, let's let sleeping dogs lie. And remember our legacy and be happy that Studebaker really does live on.

Stu Chapman
Celebrating 50 years with Studebaker

JimC
08-12-2013, 05:29 PM
It seems like up til November of last year, he was at least moving at a steady rate.

Part of me really wishes this would succeed. But I think the problems that need to be overcome outweigh the support that has been garnered. Mr. Reed, for all his love of the brand name (and I would assume, the cars) hasn't made much effort to tie into the existing fan base of the product. He's not on this forum, he hasn't rented space (or for all I know, even attended) a meet, he's not doing the networking that needs to be done.

I suppose it could be argued that attempts to revive the brand would meet with hostility from fans of the original, and to an extent, I think that's true. Just like a new Indian isn't really an Indian, some would say a new Studebaker isn't really a Studebaker, and would never support it. That being said, without Mr. Reed participating in the Studebaker world, there's no way to see if that could be stemmed, or reversed. Think about it: It's just a fact that the vast majority of Stude owners are middle aged or older individuals. Demographically speaking, these are the very sorts of people who make good investors in a venture. If he could get even a small handful of the Studebaker world on his side, he might find enough help from within the ranks to make something possible, if even on just a small scale.

If someone were to say to me "I bought the rights to the Studebaker brand, and I want to bring back the Avanti." I'd love to see that happen. The Avanti, to me, is a sports car that deserved to live on as long past Studebaker as it did. Any attempt by someone looking to re-start the brand to get these cars back in production would be a worthy cause in my book. Surely there are a couple Studebaker-owning millionaires who agree.

Admittedly, millionaires didn't get to be millionaires by throwing their money at every cool sounding idea, so he would need to have a very solid plan. But if he did have such a plan, and could demonstrate the ability to make this profitable, you might have something. It would take a marketing genius on the level of Steve Jobs, but it could be done.

I do think it's interesting that several times since the 60's, people were trying to re-ignite the Studebaker brand at the same time Avantis were being produced. Tying those two back together seems like a common sense idea. I'm surprised it never happened. After all, Studebakers were the "common sense car"! :D

'66Commander
08-12-2013, 05:34 PM
The only real problem I see with your answer is that Studebaker didn't go under in the mid 60's. It merely closed down the automotive division of the corporation. This even after the division started showing a small profit. Studebaker as a company, ie. corporation lasted into the late 70's, still producing a line of fine products until it was absorbed by Mcgraw-Edison in 1979. For a number of years after that it was still listed as a division of McGraw-Edison.

Not trying to be nit picking, but a better answer would be, Studebaker decided to get out of the car business and pursue other more profitable products.

Really? I didn't know that. Things we learn each day eh?

Talk about "New Concept"? What the heck is THIS supposed to mean? "Stubmilled" isn't this something you would do on a Lathe or Mill in a Machine Shop? :D

Look like a really BAD spellchecker went WILD! :(

Since several attempts have been made with many Vehicle types since 2002, you have to assume it is going nowhere, a nice Dream, but not happening.

No, not a really bad spell check, just really fast typing leading to errors. Close tho. (Plus, I'm at work ;D)

jclary
08-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Rather than clutter the thread with a big repeated quote...I'd like to urge anyone reading this to scroll back up to Stu Chapman's post. Well written, well thought out, and excellent presentation, from about the most credible and credentialed member here.:!:

If there is a possibility for the brand to be revived...if competent individuals with vision, desire/passion, intellect, and capital arrive together at the proper destination...at the right time...then it will happen. Given those little details...none of our little opinions could carry enough influence to discourage the outcome. Otherwise, we are like little kids playing Star-Wars on a big grassy field. Fun while it lasts.:)

StudeRich
08-12-2013, 05:59 PM
So that tells me that you did not know about all the wonderful mostly non-Automotive Studebaker Divisions they had in 1963-'64 that were all making good money for the Corp.

Studebaker of Canada LTD. Hamilton, Ont, Canada -Producing Automobiles into 1966.

Studebaker Automotive Sales Corp. -Parts continued into the mid-1970's!

Studebaker Truck Div. -Military Trucks, 6X6, sold to AM General for good $.
Postal Zip Vans well beyond Passenger Car Production, sold to Kaiser Jeep for very good $.

Mercedes Benz Sales Division -EXCLUSIVELY serving the entire US for Sales, Parts and Service and some Dealers even signed up to handle German made DKW Cars, also part of the Auto Union in Germany which Daimler-Benz is Part of.

STP Products Div. -STP Oil Filters, Diesel Fuel additive, STP Oil additive, STP Gas Additive etc.

Paxton Supercharger Div. -Superchargers and Kits for many makes and Parts.

Clarke Equipment Co. -Floor sweepers, Industrial Equipment

Onan Generators -One the Worlds largest Mfg. of gas powered Generators used in most RV's.

Gravely Tractor Div. -Mfg. of many Home/Garden machines, Mowers etc. some of the finest ever made and still in Production.

There was at one time, an Airline and a Commercial Refrigeration Mfg. Co. and MORE! :)

JimC
08-12-2013, 06:18 PM
For those members who have read my book, My Father The Car, you will remember that I touched base on this subject. To keep it simple, the following two paragraphs cover my writing verbatim...
Stu,

I finished reading your book for the first time just a few days ago. It's an excellent source of history and information, and I highly recommend it to anyone. Get a copy from the museum if you haven't! (Don't try to find it on Amazon - there's only one person selling it, and they want $345 for it (http://www.amazon.com/My-Father-Car-Memoirs-Studebaker/dp/1934729299/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376345780&sr=1-3&keywords=my+father+the+car). It's not even autographed, as the copy from the museum that I received was!)

I also agree with what you wrote regarding this company. I believe the current incarnation is simply not making enough progress to be viable at the current state. I could be wrong, and would love it if I am. But like you said, "let sleeping dogs lie".

Stu Chapman
08-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Stu,

I finished reading your book for the first time just a few days ago. It's an excellent source of history and information, and I highly recommend it to anyone. Get a copy from the museum if you haven't! (Don't try to find it on Amazon - there's only one person selling it, and they want $345 for it (http://www.amazon.com/My-Father-Car-Memoirs-Studebaker/dp/1934729299/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376345780&sr=1-3&keywords=my+father+the+car). It's not even autographed, as the copy from the museum that I received was!)

I also agree with what you wrote regarding this company. I believe the current incarnation is simply not making enough progress to be viable at the current state. I could be wrong, and would love it if I am. But like you said, "let sleeping dogs lie".

Thank you for your kind comments and plug. Members can also order my book through the Avanti Owners International web site and the Living Legends of Auto Racing Museum in Daytona Beach FL.
Stu Chapman

Chris_Dresbach
08-12-2013, 11:59 PM
I remember last year Ric Reed came to South Bend. He visited the museum and also came to Studebaker International. The local news even interviewed him and he said that South Bend would be a good place to possibly produce cars again in the future. Unfortunately I wasn't able to meet him and pic his brain on a few things as I was in school at the time. I wish him luck and I'd like to see it happen. While I'm at it, I'd like to see Avanti come back too, but I think it's a very long shot dream for both companies.

I think that Mr. Reed has the right idea but he's just years too late to do it. If we look at history, ever notice how the automotive industry seemed to have a boom about 100-150 years ago? Studebaker started in 1852, but by the time they bought out EMF and started making cars other car companies were also in business and had started around the same time. Ford, Chrysler, Dodge Bros, GM, Packard, EMF, etc, etc, etc. All those independent car companies started so long ago because there WAS A HUGE DEMAND FOR TRANSPORTATION. Back then everybody had horses and wagons, then the modern era set in and they wanted cars. So they sold the horse and bought a car, and somebody had to make that car to sell it to them. As a result, a boom happened. Obviously today, so many cars have been produced that the independents have been eaten up by the big three; and the "big three" are the biggest because they were the most successful for so long.
In todays world if you need a car you can walk down to the used car lot and pick up something for a little over a grand. My personal opinion if Mr. Reed wants to be successful he will have to produce a car that has something unique about it. It has to be something the consumer will want to buy over a big three product. Weather the unique feature is better quality, good features, something, but his cars will have to stand out sharply. They will also have to be priced competitively.
That's what I think he would have to do if he wants to be successful as a small auto maker that's independent. Now, if he were able to work out a deal with another auto maker to produce a "Studebaker" line of cars (like Ford/Mercury) then it would be a different story.
If he takes existing cars and just rebadges them as Studebakers and hopes to sell purely on the name alone, then I don't think they will sell. It's sad to say, but Studebaker has been gone for so long now that people don't remember them as a name associated with quality. They will remember the true Studebaker Corporation as an auto maker and that's it, and I'm speaking of my (younger) generation when I say that. The generation of people buying these "new" Studebakers will be my generation and probably my mom's generation. As I said, most kids my age don't know much about Studebaker, and my mom was born in 1965 when Studebaker was on its last legs of production.
I think if the idea to resurrect Studebaker was conceived and pursued sometime in the '70s or early '80s then it would have a fighting chance of happening; just like how Avanti hung on for so long. But in todays world it's just too far too late. I wish him luck and hope to see it happen though.

DEEPNHOCK
08-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Been floating around since before 2005.....
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?35642-The-New-Studebaker-Motor-Company&highlight=studebaker+company

I havent stubmlled upon this yet, but check it out:
http://studebakermotorcompany.com/home/home/

This is a plan bring the Studebaker name back to bussiness. What are your thoughts on this?
Personally, it wouldn't quite be the same. But I wouldn't mind seeing it out there. Perhaps it would bring more people into the classic Studebaker history.
Have any of you heard of this project?

Corvanti
08-13-2013, 12:29 AM
I'd rather send a few $$$ to have someone pay (bribe) the Mexican gov't to release the Avanti's in Cancun - or at least the molds (if any are left)/rights to produce, etc. than some Chinese POS badged as a Studebaker...

Warren Webb
08-13-2013, 01:00 AM
Doesn't have a chance. The rising capital required to produce and sell autos are what took all but 3 US companies out of business. These three would have gone out of business in 2009 if not for Federal Bailout.

Not totally true. G.M. & Chrysler both had the government sponsored bankruptcies & "bailouts" but Ford did not. Ford managed to escape by borrowing over 25 billion before the others had to declare bankruptcy. Ford now has almost paid it's entire loan & is now working on its pension plan to have it fully funded. The other 2's pension was wiped clean & left for the government agency that guarantees it to worry about it.

hausdok
08-13-2013, 04:09 AM
I know squat about Reed or previous attempts to revive the brand.

I have watched Indian motorcycles with interest for a lot of years though. I think the various attempts to revive the brand failed miserably time and again, not because there weren't willing buyers out there, but because the folks that tried to revive the brand didn't have the resources, or the infrastructure, to support reviving a full brand. From what I've been reading here, it sounds like the guy who was trying to revive the Avanti didn't either.

It takes a huge amount of planning and effort to mass produce automobiles. Malcolm Bricklin learned that the hard way. Just being rich doesn't mean you'll succeed. You need to have everything planned to a T and already in the pipeline before you begin or you're going to fail.

I think Indian is going to succeed this time because this time it's not a couple of individuals with money and no expertise at manufacturing trying to revive them, but an established company with an established dealer network and the necessary infrastructure to build the brand again.

That's what it would take. If an established automotive manufacturer somewhere on the planet were interested in reviving Studebaker I think it could be done. Unfortunately, the past 45+ years have shown that nobody in the business with those kinds of resources is really interested so it's not likely to happen.

'66Commander
08-13-2013, 10:26 AM
So that tells me that you did not know about all the wonderful mostly non-Automotive Studebaker Divisions they had in 1963-'64 that were all making good money for the Corp.

Studebaker of Canada LTD. Hamilton, Ont, Canada -Producing Automobiles into 1966.

Studebaker Automotive Sales Corp. -Parts continued into the mid-1970's!

Postal Zip Vans well beyond Passenger Car Production, sold to Kaiser Jeep for very good $.

Mercedes Benz Sales Division -EXCLUSIVELY serving the entire US for Sales, Parts and Service and some Dealers even signed up to handle German made DKW Cars, also part of the Auto Union in Germany which Daimler-Benz is Part of.

STP Products Div. -STP Oil Filters, Diesel Fuel additive, STP Oil additive, STP Gas Additive etc.

Paxton Supercharger Div. -Superchargers and Kits for many makes and Parts.

Clarke Equipment Co. -Floor sweepers, Industrial Equipment

Onan Generators -One the Worlds largest Mfg. of gas powered Generators used in most RV's.

Gravely Tractor Div. -Mfg. of many Home/Garden machines, Mowers etc. some of the finest ever made and still in Production.

There was at one time, an Airline and a Commercial Refrigeration Mfg. Co. and MORE! :)

No way! Thats amazing! I really should brush up on my Stude history.

evilhawk
08-13-2013, 03:19 PM
eh I really dont think right now is a good time to start a new automotive company seeing how the economy is in such a slump. Maybe this guy would have a chance if he brought back the Lark as a total fuel sipping econobox, but made it look better than all the other hideous fuel sipper cars (Honda Fit, anything Toyota) that I see driving around. He could bring back the Avanti as a turbo charged rally style car that would be appealing to the younger generation and hipsters. Heck hipsters would probably buy the car just because its different, has a retro name and isnt a Chev, Ford or Dodge. Really hipsters are responsible for Apple's success with the ipod and iphone so from a business stand point they are a good crowd to have on your side no matter how annoying they are. If Studebaker could do all mentioned at the price of a Kia soul, I think they could do very well... but then there is all the legal crap and politics...

'66Commander
08-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Yuck, I shutter at the idea of Studebaker becoming a hipster car.
But I can totally see where you're coming from.
Driving their cars, with their Macs, startbucks coffee and scarfs... horrifying.

Roscomacaw
08-13-2013, 05:00 PM
This "venture" has and still does, smack of the Chinese-made crap that's marketed under the old Bell & Howell brand name. Hell, it's only aging boomers like myself that have any recollection of what or who Bell & Howell was. It's really an insult to my intelligence to assume that I'd give more consideration to something wearing that old trade name than I would the same item offered by Ching Dow corporation.

Bordeaux Daytona
08-13-2013, 05:36 PM
When I read the title of this thread I couldn't help think of this 1956 Studebaker commercial and it's jingle.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZ_C1qJTrs

mr moto
08-13-2013, 05:47 PM
This just in from the "Events" section of the website:

APRIL 25, 2012. Studebaker Motor Company attended Rotary Club meeting in South Bend, Indiana.

Big things are happening!!

Milaca
08-13-2013, 08:47 PM
[COLOR=#0000ff]

Rich, I believe that Kaiser Jeep bought Studebaker's military division, as AM General came along after 1971 when American Motors bought the Kaiser Jeep division from Kaiser Industries.

Chris_Dresbach
08-13-2013, 09:48 PM

I think the airline was TWA. The refrigeration division was Shafer Corp. I also know about Big4 tools.

DEEPNHOCK
08-13-2013, 09:51 PM
(copy)
Corporations: An Airline for StudebakerFriday, Oct. 19, 1962

Nearly two decades have passed since burly Sherwood Harry Egbert, the flamboyant and forceful president of Studebaker Corp., learned to fly as a Marine Air Transport officer. But "Woody" Egbert is still as fascinated with flight as ever. In fact, says a friend, "the only time he can relax is when he's at the controls of a plane." Last week Egbert's predilection for planes became more than a hobby. Subject to CAB approval, Studebaker announced its purchase of Trans International Airlines, Inc., a profitable California nonscheduled carrier that grossed $6,000,000 last year. The price: $10 million in Studebaker stock.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,827902,00.html#ixzz2bu6rbV16

I think the airline was TWA. The refrigeration division was Shafer Corp. I also know about Big4 tools.

DEEPNHOCK
08-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Diversified activities
By the early 1960s, Studebaker had begun to diversify away from automobiles. Numerous companies were purchased, bringing Studebaker into such diverse fields as the manufacture of tire studs and missile components.The company's 1963 annual report listed the following divisions:

Clarke Floor Machine Division, Muskegon, Michigan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskegon,_Michigan)
CTL Missile/Space Technology Division, Cincinnati, Ohio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati,_Ohio)
Franklin Appliance Division, Minneapolis, Minnesota (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis,_Minnesota) (home office; other locations also in Minnesota, Iowa, and Ontario). Manufactured private label kitchen and laundry appliances for major retailers until sold to White Consolidated Industries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Sewing_Machine_Company).[37] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker#cite_note-37)
Gravely Tractor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravely_Tractor) Tractors Division, Dunbar, West Virginia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar,_West_Virginia), and Albany, Georgia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albany,_Georgia)
International South Bend, Indiana (handled business matters for all divisions doing business overseas)
Onan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cummins#Onan) Engine/Generator Division, Minneapolis, Minnesota (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis,_Minnesota)
Paxton Automotive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paxton_Automotive) automobile superchargers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger)
STP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STP_(motor_oil_company)) Scientifically Treated Products Division, Des Plaines, Illinois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Plaines,_Illinois), and Santa Monica, California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Monica,_California). Produced automotive engine additives.
Schaefer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schaefer) Commercial Refrigeration Division, Minneapolis, Minnesota (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis,_Minnesota), and Aberdeen, Maryland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeen,_Maryland)
Studebaker of Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Canada_Ltd.) Automotive Manufacturing, Hamilton, Ontario (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton,_Ontario)
SASCO Studebaker Automotive Sales Corp., South Bend, Indiana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bend,_Indiana).
Studegrip Tire Stud Division, South Bend, Indiana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bend,_Indiana), Jefferson, Iowa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson,_Iowa), and Minneapolis, Minnesota (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis,_Minnesota)
Trans International Airlines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_International_Airlines) founded by Kirk Kerkorian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Kerkorian)

Corley
08-13-2013, 11:14 PM
The 'NAME' Studebaker had and still does have an old fashioned sound. Now if the new cars were Avantis, , , NO NO NO, don't contaminate either name with new disposable jelly bean cars!!!

avantilover
08-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Ethan, by 1958 or so it was apparent to Studebaker-Packard as it was then, that they would soon go out of business if cars were the only product and so they began their diversification program.

Our Automotive Division was a financial drain whilst Onan etc. made money and developed new products.

The intention of the board in hiring Sherwood Egbert to replace Harold Churchill as CEO was for him to shut Automotive, but he tried to save it and may have eventually done so had he not got cancer and been forced out of his job.

Ideally from the board's viewpoint, the closure of our South Bend plant would have ended things, but to avoid dealer lawsuits and claims for financial compensation having been left "high and dry" without vehicles to sell, they created the "Move to Hamilton Ontario" where Gordon Grundy, Stu Chapman and their colleagues did their best to keep us in production.

Ultimately, even though Hamilton made a 2 Million profit in the last year, the board got their way and closed us down.

Stu's book gives the "insiders view" of the situation and I feel they would have succeeded in the manufacture of a small number of vehicles profitably had only the board been supportive.

As I have written on numerous occasions, the Studebaker Automotive Family owe a huge debt of gratitude to our Canadian friends for producing the vehicles they did, leaving the best for last.

As the design consultants related at and since the closure, Studebaker could have made an "up market" quality "niche" vehicle and succeeded, as mass market sales were impossible, history reveals otherwise.

PlainBrownR2
08-14-2013, 04:16 AM
The 'NAME' Studebaker had and still does have an old fashioned sound. Now if the new cars were Avantis, , , NO NO NO, don't contaminate either name with new disposable jelly bean cars!!!

The Avanti name, in general, is found in anything from boats, tools, and refrigerators. However, the Avanti automobile, or more specifically, the Avanti Motor Company, I can safely say, is probably not going to be going anywhere for awhile, until the company and all that's inherent thereof can be pried from the Mexican government's iron grip! :rolleyes:

'66Commander
08-14-2013, 09:53 AM
It would be really nice to see a modern day car that was all metal and hefty.

DEEPNHOCK
Its crazy that studebaker had so many subdevisions.

DEEPNHOCK
08-14-2013, 10:01 AM
DEEPNHOCK
It's crazy that Studebaker had so many subdivisions.

Oh, that's nothing compared to the 37 pages of GM subsidiaries....:whome:

(source)
Category:General Motors subsidiariesFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SubcategoriesThis category has the following 7 subcategories, out of 7 total.

A

? Ally Financial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ally_Financial)? (5 P)

E

? Electro-Motive Diesel locomotives (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Electro-Motive_Diesel_locomotives)? (2 C, 208 P, 3 F)

G

? General Motors Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:General_Motors_Canada)? (3 P)

G cont.

? General Motors Diesel locomotives (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:General_Motors_Diesel_locomotives)? (44 P)

? GM Korea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:GM_Korea)? (2 C, 7 P)

I

? General Motors India (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:General_Motors_India)? (4 P)

N

? North American Aviation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:North_American_Aviation)? (2 C, 13 P, 3 F)

Pages in category "General Motors subsidiaries"The following 37 pages are in this category, out of 37 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:FAQ/Categories#Why_might_a_category_list_not_be_up_to_date.3F)).

A

ACDelco (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACDelco)
Atlantic Aircraft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Aircraft)

C

Clyde Engineering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_Engineering)
GM Components Holdings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Components_Holdings)

D

Dayton-Wright Company (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dayton-Wright_Company)
Delco Electronics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delco_Electronics)

E

Electronic Data Systems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Data_Systems)

F

FAW-GM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAW-GM)
Fisher Body (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_Body)
Fleetwood Metal Body (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleetwood_Metal_Body)

G

General Motors Diesel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Diesel)
General Motors Diesel Division (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Diesel_Division)
General Motors do Brasil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_do_Brasil)

G cont.

General Motors Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Europe)
General Motors Research Laboratories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Research_Laboratories)
Ghandhara Industries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghandhara_Industries)
GM Certified Service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Certified_Service)
GM Defense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Defense)
GM Korea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Korea)
Chevrolet Performance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Performance)
GM Powertrain Torino (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Powertrain_Torino)
GM Uzbekistan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Uzbekistan)
GMAC Real Estate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMAC_Real_Estate)

H

Holden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden)
HRL Laboratories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HRL_Laboratories)
Hughes Aircraft Company (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_Aircraft_Company)

I

Isuzu Truck South Africa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Truck_South_Africa)

K

Kinetic Chemicals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_Chemicals)

N

North American Aviation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Aviation)
Nuvell Financial Services (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuvell_Financial_Services)

O

OnStar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnStar)
Opel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel)

R

Remy International (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remy_International)

S

Samson Tractor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson_Tractor)
GM Service and Parts Operations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Service_and_Parts_Operations)
Shanghai GM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_GM)

T

Terex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terex)

'66Commander
08-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Ethan, by 1958 or so it was apparent to Studebaker-Packard as it was then, that they would soon go out of business if cars were the only product and so they began their diversification program.

Our Automotive Division was a financial drain whilst Onan etc. made money and developed new products.

The intention of the board in hiring Sherwood Egbert to replace Harold Churchill as CEO was for him to shut Automotive, but he tried to save it and may have eventually done so had he not got cancer and been forced out of his job.

Ideally from the board's viewpoint, the closure of our South Bend plant would have ended things, but to avoid dealer lawsuits and claims for financial compensation having been left "high and dry" without vehicles to sell, they created the "Move to Hamilton Ontario" where Gordon Grundy, Stu Chapman and their colleagues did their best to keep us in production.

Ultimately, even though Hamilton made a 2 Million profit in the last year, the board got their way and closed us down.

Stu's book gives the "insiders view" of the situation and I feel they would have succeeded in the manufacture of a small number of vehicles profitably had only the board been supportive.

As I have written on numerous occasions, the Studebaker Automotive Family owe a huge debt of gratitude to our Canadian friends for producing the vehicles they did, leaving the best for last.

As the design consultants related at and since the closure, Studebaker could have made an "up market" quality "niche" vehicle and succeeded, as mass market sales were impossible, history reveals otherwise.

Wow. I wonder where we would have been if the board was more supportive.
When I read that Canada kept Studebaker for a few years I was really glad that they did. When I first got the Stude I thought that it was just a Canadian company, and thats why I haven't heard of them. But I started researching a little.
I'm glad that the Studebaker name carries on in one way or another. Especially with the SDC.

'66Commander
08-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Oh, that's nothing compared to the 37 pages of GM subsidiaries....:whome:

Damn!
Yeahm thats a whole lot more then Studebaker's.

studegary
08-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Diversified activities
By the early 1960s, Studebaker had begun to diversify away from automobiles. Numerous companies were purchased, bringing Studebaker into such diverse fields as the manufacture of tire studs and missile components.The company's 1963 annual report listed the following divisions:

[LIST]
STP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STP_(motor_oil_company)) Scientifically Treated Products Division, Des Plaines, Illinois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Plaines,_Illinois), and Santa Monica, California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Monica,_California). Produced automotive engine additives.

I remember STP as Scientifically Treated Petroleum and later as Scientifically Tested Products, but never this amalgam.

Stu Chapman
08-14-2013, 03:21 PM
I remember STP as Scientifically Treated Petroleum and later as Scientifically Tested Products, but never this amalgam.

I agree with you Gary. Your recollection is the same as mine.
Stu Chapman

DEEPNHOCK
08-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Well... If the address listed was Des Plaines, IL... It would have been post Studebaker, so a subtle name change might have been made....
Just a swag....
Jeffhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/icons/icon6.png

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by studegary http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?p=768928#post768928)

Stu Chapman

hausdok
08-15-2013, 04:36 AM
This thread reminded me of the almost acquisition of Studebaker by CMI that had been discussed here a year or so ago in another thread wherein Toyota had been looking for a North American partner. The CMI guys came within thirty minutes of having a deal before they changed their minds. Toyota was pretty flush with cash at the time. Partnering with them might have saved the marque.....or.....Toyota might have gotten its dealer network established, bought CMI out and then shut down the name. Nobody will ever know without a time machine with which to go back and talk that CMI guy into not woosing out.

Stu Chapman
08-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Well... If the address listed was Des Plaines, IL... It would have been post Studebaker, so a subtle name change might have been made....
Just a swag....
Jeffhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/icons/icon6.png

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by studegary http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?p=768928#post768928)

Stu Chapman

Actually, STP was located in Des Plaines IL while Studebaker's Automotive Division was functioning.
Stu Chapman

8E45E
08-15-2013, 07:12 AM
This thread reminded me of the almost acquisition of Studebaker by CMI that had been discussed here a year or so ago in another thread wherein Toyota had been looking for a North American partner. The CMI guys came within thirty minutes of having a deal before they changed their minds. Toyota was pretty flush with cash at the time. Partnering with them might have saved the marque.....or.....Toyota might have gotten its dealer network established, bought CMI out and then shut down the name. Nobody will ever know without a time machine with which to go back and talk that CMI guy into not woosing out.

Yep, it would have been interesting, and changed automotive history in the mid-1960's had it gone through: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?13407-65-Merger&highlight=munk

Craig

'66Commander
08-15-2013, 09:54 AM
I seriously wonder what Studes look like if they made it into the race. How they would effect other cars and visa versa.