PDA

View Full Version : Interior Question: 1962 Stude

jackb
08-10-2013, 10:44 AM
What color was (is) the carpet on a 62' Lark with Saddle Tan interior ?? The NOS door panels I'm getting (and the originals) have black vinyl on the lower section of them. I've always assumed that the color of this door panel section should (does) match the carpet. This is a P6 trim level, so no rubber mat on this car. The color of the remaining carpet (very discolored), on the back of the rear seat back shows a brownish-green color. I can't tell if it is faded or was the original carpet..... but definitely not black. Any guesses, suggestions or pics ?? I'm sure any car from 1962' would show the correct match.

62champ
08-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Wonder how correct this is:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/4434765370_0d4b69364f.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
08-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Not Saddle Tan, but the 14,000 mile all original Y6 62 I owned has dark blue carpet with a blue interior.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/62%20Lark%20Regal%20Four%20Door/78a9.jpg

avantilover
08-10-2013, 06:41 PM
The only way to know how your car left the factory is to purchase its production order from the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend Indiana:
https://studebakermuseum.org/store/production-orders/production-order-1960-1966_00029/

jackb
08-11-2013, 10:24 AM
thanks for the 3 responses...but....the 1st 62' pic is an obvious re-carpeting job given the seam over the tranny hump. I remember these carpet sets for Studes back in the 70's-80's. They fit, but too many pieces for a cost savings and sewing ease....The 2nd pic (please) doesn't show the bottom door panel vinyl cover, tho I think the pass. side does look black from here, and of course the seat bottoms have been carpeted over in a nice blend to the floor. I don't believe the museum, or the build sheet will define the "color" of the carpet, if the order mentions carpet at all. I'm guessing there were maybe black or colored rubber mats....and maybe the same breakdown for carpet. But I just don't know.....I'm also guessing that the "burnt green" carpet behind my back seat (rearward towards the tailgate), is original.....but this is my basis for the question......thanks to all so far....

Dick Steinkamp
08-11-2013, 11:44 AM
The 2nd pic (please) doesn't show the bottom door panel vinyl cover, tho I think the pass. side does look black from here, and of course the seat bottoms have been carpeted over in a nice blend to the floor.

Sorry I don't have a better pic of the interior of that car. It was (is) an all original example, however. The seat bottoms are not carpeted. That is vinyl with a heavy texture. The bottoms of the doors is a similar material. I think it was deemed to be more durable than the vinyl used on the upper portions of the seats and door panels.

Although this is not a tan interior, the fact that the carpet matches the interior color would lead me to believe that all "6" trim level (Regal) cars had carpet color that matched the interior color. Perhaps someone with a 62 showroom brochure or with the TW issue that dealt with 62's can check this.

Here's a pic of the back seat, but it also doesn't help much...

I have seen other tan Studes where the tan carpet faded to a green/tan hue in some areas.

Swifster
08-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Colors of carpet in 1962 include black, brown and taupe. All were available with P6. I think you'll need the build sheet and a interior decode. Maybe the interior book will be with SI?

Dave Bates
08-11-2013, 12:33 PM
The 62 Fact book listed about all the different color combinations but doesn't mention the carpet color.

stude dude
08-11-2013, 10:07 PM
What color was (is) the carpet on a 62' Lark with Saddle Tan interior ?? The NOS door panels I'm getting (and the originals) have black vinyl on the lower section of them. I've always assumed that the color of this door panel section should (does) match the carpet. This is a P6 trim level, so no rubber mat on this car. The color of the remaining carpet (very discolored), on the back of the rear seat back shows a brownish-green color. I can't tell if it is faded or was the original carpet..... but definitely not black. Any guesses, suggestions or pics ?? I'm sure any car from 1962' would show the correct match.

Are you sure the lower sections are not just very dark brown? I have blue ones here that are navy blue on the bottom. Floor carpet was always a darker shade than the upholstery so the lower part of 62-64 door trims was usually a similar shade.

Chris.

jackb
08-12-2013, 09:53 AM
after cleaning the lower vinyl section with some cleaner, it clearly is a chocolate brown color.....thanks for all the help....