Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3R 6-12 pickup truck brake lights are not illuminating when I press the brake pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 3R 6-12 pickup truck brake lights are not illuminating when I press the brake pedal

We installed new shocks on the 3R and might have jostled something. The blinkers and headlights are working fine, but the 3R 6-12 pickup truck brake lights are not illuminating when I press the brake pedal.

Do you think it's a brake switch issue? If yes, what is the part number? Where else should I look?

Thanks for your advice.

You might have knocked off one of the wires to the brake light switch. They are usually red with a tubular connector. There should be 2 going into the switch.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

To add to what Warren said: the switch is screwed into the back of the master cylinder. They do go bad, and having a spare around is not a bad idea, even if yours is okay. Part number 666858.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks Warren, Skip. The two wires look fine, so I'm going to assume it's a bad switch. Additionally, the parking lights work fine; it's only an issue when I press the brake - pointing again to the switch.

I ordered the switch from Studebaker Intl. today. Question: If I were to unscrew the current switch, would I immediately start losing brake fluid from the master cylinder? Will I need to bleed the brakes after replacing the switch?

In short, is it possible for an amateur mechanic to do this repair?

Comment

Do it quickly and you won't need to bleed the brakes. A few drops of brake fluid will come out, but no air should go in. Don't want to insult you, but you used the word "amateur": If you don't already have one, you may want to pick up a 1", 6-point deep socket at Sears so you don't bugger up that old switch getting it out. At one time, companies like Snap-On used to sell a special socket for those switches, which were also used on many other car and motorcycle brands, but a standard 6-point deep socket is usually good enough to get the job done.

BTW, you can check the wiring of the brake light circuit by touching the two red plugs together. The brake lights should illuminate.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Yes, the brakes lit up when I used a wire to connect the red switch wires. So, I'm calling this solved until a new switch tells me differently. Thank you all for your help, as always.

Comment

Working...
            X