Third Brake Light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third Brake Light?

In the interest of safety, I have ran a third brake light on several Hawks over the years. Have seen a few other Studes with them too, but not many.

For the wife's GT, I am thinking of an LED light bar, about 1" tall and 40" long, tucked under the ledge at the upper edge of the rear windshield. They are available with multi-functions of third brake light and turn signals.

I am sure purists would think this idea laughable, but it certainly seems like a good safety measure.

Anyone else running anything similar on a Stude?

I always thought the third brake lamp was pretty worthless. Either the guy behind you is looking or they're not. Putting a CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Lamp) doesn't change that. One of those $25 objects tacked on to the price of the car.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I mounted the third brake light about 30 years ago. The original 53/54 brake lenses are small so anything that can improve safety is worth it in my opinion.

Comment

You could mount the little dog with the bobbing head that has the light up eyes. That might get their attention.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
          You could mount the little dog with the bobbing head that has the light up eyes. That might get their attention.
          It would need to be a hula girl in my opinion

Comment

On a serious note, I think that an LED light bar would be both unobtrusive as well as useful. I assume that you could use one of the flexible LED strips. One of those could be contoured so that it would not be noticed as much as a straight line.

Comment

Good idea! I had thought about installing a 3rd brake light in my '81 Avanti. I'm not sure about the Hula girl as it would distract ME! If one has installed these could you add a note as to the connections or where you tapped into the harness? Thanks.
              Rob in PA.

Comment

Of course, if you had a Wagonaire, you'd need the CLMSL. (Center low-mounted stop lamp).
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I don't think it's a bad idea. I noticed someone at a cruise last night who had a 57 Bel Air and they had turned the V on the back of the trunk lid into an LED 3d brake light.

That caught my eye. Unfortunately it was too far away from me when I noticed it and the car was rolling, so I couldn't say how he had the lights in the chrome piece, but it was effective and I think clever. I wouldn't want to figure out how to do the third light with a Wagonaire. On my wagon, I think you could fashion something with an LED strip across the top of the rear window, since it clamshells closed.

Comment

The brake lights on Wagonaires are positively scary; they provide more light to the sides than to the rear.
                    I have thought that the answer would be 1966-ish Nova tail lights mounted on the flat surfaces to either side of the tailgate glass. You'd do away with the backup lenses and go with full length red plastic (which I think the Canadian cars had as stock?) The housings are even aluminum so's to compliment the side spears.

Comment

I've been trying to think of a way to mount something in my hawk as well when done. Anything that wakes up the driver behind you is not a bad thing. Also looking at head rests and seat belt with shoulder straps. Thinking maybe a set up like late 70 early 80s GMs with buckets. They retracted at the door on the floor and had a hook like set up at the top of the bucket.

Comment

Nothing "scary" about Wagonaire tail lamps. I've been following one for tens of thousand of miles, and find the stop lamps quite effective, particularly with a mechanical switch (can't seem to pass that sucker). I have 3rd brake lights on both the Avanti and Daytona and wouldn't drive without them in today"s distracted traffic.

Comment

The local Farm & Fleet sells a LED brake light to go beneath the tailgate and above the bumper on pickups... I have been wondering about putting one of those right above the rear bumper on my Stude. Right now I have way too many projects and way too little time.

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                            I always thought the third brake lamp was pretty worthless. Either the guy behind you is looking or they're not. Putting a CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Lamp) doesn't change that. One of those $25 objects tacked on to the price of the car.
                            Not worthless if You drive an Avanti! Those cute little Avanti tailights are hard to see at night. (worse on a bright day) A bright 3rd brakelight in the rear window is an absolute MUST if one wants to mix-it-up with other traffic!!!!! If Your Avanti never leaves the garage except to be loaded onto a car trailer....leave it alone. I'm talking about 'REAL WORLD' driving here!

Comment

At one time someone offered a third brake light kit for the Avanti. Does anyone know if those are still available?
                              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                              50 Champion 2 door*
                              53 Commander K Auto*
                              53 Commander K overdrive*
                              55 President Speedster
                              62 GT 4Speed*
                              63 Avanti R1*
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...