PDA

View Full Version : Third Brake Light?

JoeHall
08-09-2013, 11:34 PM
In the interest of safety, I have ran a third brake light on several Hawks over the years. Have seen a few other Studes with them too, but not many.

For the wife's GT, I am thinking of an LED light bar, about 1" tall and 40" long, tucked under the ledge at the upper edge of the rear windshield. They are available with multi-functions of third brake light and turn signals.

I am sure purists would think this idea laughable, but it certainly seems like a good safety measure.

Anyone else running anything similar on a Stude?

Swifster
08-10-2013, 04:17 AM
I always thought the third brake lamp was pretty worthless. Either the guy behind you is looking or they're not. Putting a CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Lamp) doesn't change that. One of those $25 objects tacked on to the price of the car.

cobraman428
08-10-2013, 07:15 AM
I mounted the third brake light about 30 years ago. The original 53/54 brake lenses are small so anything that can improve safety is worth it in my opinion.

swvalcon
08-10-2013, 08:35 AM
You could mount the little dog with the bobbing head that has the light up eyes. That might get their attention.

pbrown
08-10-2013, 09:26 AM
You could mount the little dog with the bobbing head that has the light up eyes. That might get their attention.

It would need to be a hula girl in my opinion:D

pbrown
08-10-2013, 09:33 AM
On a serious note, I think that an LED light bar would be both unobtrusive as well as useful. I assume that you could use one of the flexible LED strips. One of those could be contoured so that it would not be noticed as much as a straight line.

stude1964
08-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Good idea! I had thought about installing a 3rd brake light in my '81 Avanti. I'm not sure about the Hula girl as it would distract ME! If one has installed these could you add a note as to the connections or where you tapped into the harness? Thanks.
Rob in PA.

gordr
08-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Of course, if you had a Wagonaire, you'd need the CLMSL. (Center low-mounted stop lamp).

LeoH
08-10-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't think it's a bad idea. I noticed someone at a cruise last night who had a 57 Bel Air and they had turned the V on the back of the trunk lid into an LED 3d brake light.

That caught my eye. Unfortunately it was too far away from me when I noticed it and the car was rolling, so I couldn't say how he had the lights in the chrome piece, but it was effective and I think clever. I wouldn't want to figure out how to do the third light with a Wagonaire. On my wagon, I think you could fashion something with an LED strip across the top of the rear window, since it clamshells closed.

skyway
08-10-2013, 12:31 PM
The brake lights on Wagonaires are positively scary; they provide more light to the sides than to the rear.
I have thought that the answer would be 1966-ish Nova tail lights mounted on the flat surfaces to either side of the tailgate glass. You'd do away with the backup lenses and go with full length red plastic (which I think the Canadian cars had as stock?) The housings are even aluminum so's to compliment the side spears.

swvalcon
08-10-2013, 01:23 PM
I've been trying to think of a way to mount something in my hawk as well when done. Anything that wakes up the driver behind you is not a bad thing. Also looking at head rests and seat belt with shoulder straps. Thinking maybe a set up like late 70 early 80s GMs with buckets. They retracted at the door on the floor and had a hook like set up at the top of the bucket.

WCP
08-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Nothing "scary" about Wagonaire tail lamps. I've been following one for tens of thousand of miles, and find the stop lamps quite effective, particularly with a mechanical switch (can't seem to pass that sucker). I have 3rd brake lights on both the Avanti and Daytona and wouldn't drive without them in today"s distracted traffic.

Deaf Mute
08-10-2013, 02:00 PM
The local Farm & Fleet sells a LED brake light to go beneath the tailgate and above the bumper on pickups... I have been wondering about putting one of those right above the rear bumper on my Stude. Right now I have way too many projects and way too little time.

SN-60
08-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I always thought the third brake lamp was pretty worthless. Either the guy behind you is looking or they're not. Putting a CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Lamp) doesn't change that. One of those $25 objects tacked on to the price of the car.

Not worthless if You drive an Avanti! Those cute little Avanti tailights are hard to see at night. (worse on a bright day) A bright 3rd brakelight in the rear window is an absolute MUST if one wants to mix-it-up with other traffic!!!!! If Your Avanti never leaves the garage except to be loaded onto a car trailer....leave it alone. I'm talking about 'REAL WORLD' driving here!

ddub
08-10-2013, 04:06 PM
At one time someone offered a third brake light kit for the Avanti. Does anyone know if those are still available?

Corvanti
08-10-2013, 06:38 PM
when i had my Avanti, it already had a 3rd brake light installed. i don't know where it came from, but it looked "generic". i did put in a brighter LED lamp though.

i was also going to make rear brake lights/turn signals, etc. on the back-up lamps similar to some Avanti II's. but instead of using red lenses, i was going to use red LED lamps and leave the lenses clear. never got a-round-tuit...

Joe, i'm not sure i'd go as far as the LED bar you're talking about. but from the ones i've seen, it would certainly get folk's attention - especially at night!

skyway
08-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Put a lot of miles on my Wagonaire, so maybe I'm not as big a 'fraidy cat as I think, but those cars need more
brake light and high on either side would be a great place to put it.

rockne10
08-10-2013, 10:35 PM
I mounted a JC Whitney third light to my '63 Cruiser--which I no longer have. Mounting a light with double-sided tape and running an extra wire to the brake harness makes no unalterable change and, forty years of driving professionally has taught me I cannot rely on the driving attention of others.

Swifster
08-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Not worthless if You drive an Avanti! Those cute little Avanti tailights are hard to see at night. (worse on a bright day) A bright 3rd brakelight in the rear window is an absolute MUST if one wants to mix-it-up with other traffic!!!!! If Your Avanti never leaves the garage except to be loaded onto a car trailer....leave it alone. I'm talking about 'REAL WORLD' driving here!

Traffic went 85 years without them. A CHMSL won't keep a tailgating driver from hitting you from behind. A CHMSL won't keep a distracted driver from hitting you from behind. Rear end collisions still occur. People believe they can tailgate because the car has ABS or 4 wheel disc brakes. I've NEVER heard anyone say, "Thank goodness I saw the other car's CHMSL! I would have hit him without it..." As for 'REAL WORLD' driving, I'm an insurance appraiser. Most of the damages I see are front-to-rear collisions. You could put large signs saying "DON'T HIT ME!" in large neon colors and a distracted, tailgating driver will still find you.

Lenny R2
08-10-2013, 11:31 PM
On my 63 Avanti i instalied a led 3rd brake light &the red lens in the back up
light frames with 1157 bulbs.When i step on the brake they are all bright

Swifster
08-10-2013, 11:38 PM
By the way, have you hit a semi truck, or a dump truck? Large trucks do not have CHMSLs and I would suggest they never will. Unless someone is tailgating or completely distracted, odds are a driver won't hit one. And yet it's hard to find a 'Mansfield' bar on a large truck that hasn't seen some abuse.

Look, you money, your car. Do what you need to do to make yourself 'feel' safe. Every car since 1986 has a CHMSL. When these first came out, the government said that these decrease rear end collisions by 50%. After roughly 30 years, now they say it's less than 4%. I would rather invest my money in seat belts and other tangible items that do save lives. CHMSLs isn't one of those items.

Swifster
08-11-2013, 12:20 AM
One other thing. If you REALLY want your car to be safe, install the following;

Dual Master Cylinder
4 Wheel Disc Brakes
Anti-Lock Brakes
3 or 4 Point Seat Belts - Front & Rear
Collapsible Steering Column
Side Beam Impact Bars
Dual Mirrors
Safety Back Up Camera
Head Rests - Front & Rear
Fuel Shut Off Inertia Switch (For cars with Electric Pumps)
LED Tail Lamp Bulbs
Halogen Headlamps
Tire Pressure Sensors
Daytime Running Lamps
Retroreflective Strips
Paint Your Car White or Silver
4 Way Hazard Flashers

All of these will do more to save your lives than a CHMSL. Am I going to add these items to my car? NO! I might do a few. Dual master cylinders, dual mirrors, 4 way flashers, and maybe head rests. I might even do the 3 point seat belts. A CHMSL? Nope...

JoeHall
08-11-2013, 12:24 AM
Thanks for all the input folks. Looks like more folks than I figured are running them.

I just bought one off ebay. Its an aluminum billet type; sits 1.5" high on a fully adjustable pedestal; is 3/4" tall, and 7" wide. It also has a feature that one side will flash with the turn signal, and the other side stays lit as long as the brake is on.

Guess I'll mount it in the rear window, along the back edge or the rear seat speaker.

I don't know about accident reduction statistics, but I consider it as a supplement to a marginal lighting system on the rear of the car.

gordr
08-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Remember that the CHMSL was introduced at a time when many cars had their tail/stop lamps mounted quite low. Didn't Chevelle have tail lamps in the bumper at one time? The idea was to ensure cars had a stop lamp close to the eye level of a following motorist. That's why I made the quip about the Wagonaire. Its tail lamps ARE at eye level for the following driver.

JoeHall
08-11-2013, 10:44 AM
By the way, have you hit a semi truck, or a dump truck? Large trucks do not have CHMSLs and I would suggest they never will. Unless someone is tailgating or completely distracted, odds are a driver won't hit one. And yet it's hard to find a 'Mansfield' bar on a large truck that hasn't seen some abuse.

Look, you money, your car. Do what you need to do to make yourself 'feel' safe. Every car since 1986 has a CHMSL. When these first came out, the government said that these decrease rear end collisions by 50%. After roughly 30 years, now they say it's less than 4%. I would rather invest my money in seat belts and other tangible items that do save lives. CHMSLs isn't one of those items.
Thanks for the info, but I am just ignorant and cannot help myself. Anyway, it only cost around $50 and hopefully will only take about an hour to install. :)

SN-60
08-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Traffic went 85 years without them. A CHMSL won't keep a tailgating driver from hitting you from behind. A CHMSL won't keep a distracted driver from hitting you from behind. Rear end collisions still occur. People believe they can tailgate because the car has ABS or 4 wheel disc brakes. I've NEVER heard anyone say, "Thank goodness I saw the other car's CHMSL! I would have hit him without it..." As for 'REAL WORLD' driving, I'm an insurance appraiser. Most of the damages I see are front-to-rear collisions. You could put large signs saying "DON'T HIT ME!" in large neon colors and a distracted, tailgating driver will still find you.

I simply feel that a common sense, extremely easy to install safety item, as a rear window brake light certainly is, CAN'T be a bad idea! (I also am a licensed insurance appraiser, for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts)

Gunslinger
08-11-2013, 11:10 AM
The Feds didn't make the requirement for a third brake light until after a long test by a New York City cab company demonstrated that their cars (which pile up huge mileage from so much use) cut rear-end collisions by a large amount. That saved them money from less down time and far fewer insurance claims. I can see that as in NYC it's quite easy to not see standard brake lights...especially if low mounted. Traffic is so tight the high mounted light can be seen when others can't.

My own experience was several years ago when at a body shop checking on my Avanti which was there at the time, one of their techs stopped me when leaving saying my brake lights on both right and left sides weren't working. He said the high mounted brake light did, which drew his attention to it. He changed the bulbs gratis for me...nice thing to do since I felt I was supporting their shop with the work being done on the Avanti. I always said Christmas bonuses there must have been quite good due to me.

Swifster
08-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Look, I'm not trying to get into a large argument about this. I've said my peace. I just think that the CHMSL is just a placebo. Again, not my car and not my money.

Mark L
08-11-2013, 12:33 PM
For drivers who take the time to periodically check their brake lights to make sure they work, having a 3rd light won't make much difference for the other drivers, since most of the lights will be working.

But I've seen so many drivers who don't take care of their cars, or show their disrespect for other drivers by not making their intentions visible (stopping, turning). For those kind of drivers, requiring an extra brake light on their cars sure helps the rest of us.

Mark L

3rdGenStude
08-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Funny this thread should come up. A few days ago, I was thinking how bad the aluminum trim panel looks on my GT, and if I was REALLY good with sheet metal work (I'm not!) maybe I could take two of SI's custom Stude pickup truck taillights, lay them on their sides, and cut them into the recessed area of the GT trunk lid, and smooth out the bottom of the recess like a '64 GT lid. Kind of like some Cadillac full width trunk lid CHMSL's.

Paul (who probably took too many "custom" parts from 1/24th scale models to make his own designs as a child) ;)

LeoH
08-11-2013, 02:56 PM
For drivers who take the time to periodically check their brake lights to make sure they work, having a 3rd light won't make much difference for the other drivers, since most of the lights will be working.

But I've seen so many drivers who don't take care of their cars, or show their disrespect for other drivers by not making their intentions visible (stopping, turning). For those kind of drivers, requiring an extra brake light on their cars sure helps the rest of us.

Mark L

HEAR! HEAR! You're (collective) welcome to bring in a made in China rant anyone, but I can't believe the number of cars that are less that 5 or even 3 years old running around with one or both brake lights out. Actually, it's usually NOT the CHMSL, but still, I think I changed A bulb in my '79 Volvo wagon we had for 20 years and once for the 10 years in the 85 Volvo and can't remember changing a rear light in any other car I've ever owned, but I can't drive around without seeing at least 1 on any given day. When I bicycle and have the opportunity I do let someone know they have a brake light out. Most of the time, people do thank me, but the ones who say, 'I know' leave me scratching my head.

Maybe that was the goal of the third light, to allow for lessened quality of brake light bulbs so that they need to be changed more often, but in addition to the 3 lights being more visible at a distance than 2, having a backup stop light visible is at least as high a priority in my mind why I'd want one added.

LeoH
08-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Funny this thread should come up. A few days ago, I was thinking how bad the aluminum trim panel looks on my GT, and if I was REALLY good with sheet metal work (I'm not!) maybe I could take two of SI's custom Stude pickup truck taillights, lay them on their sides, and cut them into the recessed area of the GT trunk lid, and smooth out the bottom of the recess like a '64 GT lid. Kind of like some Cadillac full width trunk lid CHMSL's.

Paul (who probably took too many "custom" parts from 1/24th scale models to make his own designs as a child) ;)

Given what I saw with the Bel Air and that V that lit up on its trunk, you might also consider a script S light in the middle of the trunk panel, as a stylish alternative.

OOPS, now you've got me on a roll, and it'd be trickier, but I've got a later model radio delete plate with the squared script Studebaker on it. If you cut out the lettering on that and put an LED strip behind it, that might be cool. Either as a dash doo-dad, or possibly as a faceplate for a homemade third light.

drpreposterous
09-17-2013, 09:26 PM
For what it's worth:
http://www.apa.org/research/action/brake.aspx

rodnutrandy
09-18-2013, 11:39 PM
I had a friend tell me my brake lights are hard to see. He claims the truck being red hides the lights. I since added led in my round tube of upper bed , already had a license plate surround that goes from white to red when I brake and went ahead and added 2 leds on my toolbox. May be to much, but I would rather over do ,than get hit in the rear!

PlainBrownR2
09-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Third brake lights don't do anything on the back of a semi truck......Okay, guess I better tell these guys that everyone does fine with one piddly light mounted down on the bumper. Of course around here, that's the one that will get salt covered and end up being near impossible to see! :rolleyes:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/International%20Studebaker%20Meet%20Colorado%20Springs/P1080446_zps29aad82d.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/user/PlainBrownR2/media/International%20Studebaker%20Meet%20Colorado%20Springs/P1080446_zps29aad82d.jpg.html)

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/International%20Studebaker%20Meet%20Colorado%20Springs/P1080440_zps5c5ac52c.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/user/PlainBrownR2/media/International%20Studebaker%20Meet%20Colorado%20Springs/P1080440_zps5c5ac52c.jpg.html)

I have buddies who had careers as truck drivers, and despite the statistics, or lack thereof on lights, blinkers, and whatnot, they were every bit as concerned about safety as everyone else, well at least to those who realize how much mass is rolling and stopping that is next to them at 70 mph. The more flashing bright red back there to grab the driver's attention, the better. If you can't see all those lights in front of you, you either don't care, inattentive, or you're blind! :cool:

Swifster
09-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Accidents go down every year. I put more credence in anti-lock brakes than I do in third mounted brake lights. Either you are looking or you're not.

SN-60
09-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Accidents go down every year. I put more credence in anti-lock brakes than I do in third mounted brake lights. Either you are looking or you're not.

Nope!.....Don't 'buy' that mentality. (And PLEASE.....try to keep looking!!)

Swifster
09-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Ed, you can make numbers do what you want. You're either looking or you're not. Eyes open Ed...

63t-cab
09-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Tom,does't it depend on where you're looking? "say at the rear of the vehicle that's in front of you".or through some glass and a bit on up to some vehicles further ahead to see what is starting "the BRAIN - get ready cuz I may need to react here :eek::ohmy: QUOTE=Swifster;780674]Ed, you can make numbers do what you want. You're either looking or you're not. Eyes open Ed...[/QUOTE]

Swifster
09-19-2013, 10:40 PM
I've seen cars with one brake light and I've still stopped for it. Some cars have no brake lights and I still haven't hit it. Some cars are lit up like a Christmas tree and still get hit. I don't think 1 brake light gets the brain going more than any other. I still think it comes down to paying attention or not paying attention. If the person behind you is texting or screwing around with passengers, do you think it matters how many brake lights you have?

63t-cab
09-19-2013, 11:33 PM
You mean to tell Me you've never said to yourself,man was I lucky "I think you have" as We all do at times.because just for that split of a split second your eyes moved in another direction! you've never gotten rubber from not hitting someone?,I think you have.you've never hit the rub strip on the edge of the road ? I think you have. one's eyes can never always be where they should be at that moment ! you may not like having a 3rd light on your car,but you know as well as I that more lights will/can get more attention on the busy roads :)

jimmijim8
09-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Whyscome is it so difficult for every body here to concede to fact that an extra brake light just may/might/ somehow prevent some distracted/groggy driver following you in the day/night from smashing into the arse end of your car. Seriously, I'm gonna add some tell-tale to the rear section of my cars. I've been arsse ended. There ain't no gurantee you will walk away from a collision. A third brake light may be your best friend. No body here is telling you you are wrong if you want or don't see the need for a 3 rd light.. . Would you drive with no signal lights at all? Price of a third brake light is insignificant to those that see the need. cheers jimmijim

Swifster
09-20-2013, 08:46 AM
I've ended up on the shoulder. I rear ended some girl who made an emergency stop not to hit a squirrel. And I've been rear ended. I can make the honest statement that I wasn't paying attention. And the CHMSL didn't stop the girl who rear ended my Ranger while I was stopped at the light. She was 'playing' with her kid in the back seat (I could see her in the mirror). I have more thanks for the trailer hitch than I do for the CHMSL.

Studeous
09-20-2013, 09:55 AM
I think Slick Street Stuff makes a 3rd brake that's moulded into the rear package tray, just below the window. I believe it's for a Coupe/hawk only, but maybe more models by now. I think it would be neet if it looked factory lol

jimmijim8
09-20-2013, 10:51 AM
So. to you, an auxiliary brake light's chance of acting in concert with the brake lights to possibly enhance the possibility of preventing a rear end collision is about as good as a bet on a snow ball survivng in hell's fire. ok. cheers jimmijim
I've ended up on the shoulder. I rear ended some girl who made an emergency stop not to hit a squirrel. And I've been rear ended. I can make the honest statement that I wasn't paying attention. And the CHMSL didn't stop the girl who rear ended my Ranger while I was stopped at the light. She was 'playing' with her kid in the back seat (I could see her in the mirror). I have more thanks for the trailer hitch than I do for the CHMSL.

rodnutrandy
09-20-2013, 03:22 PM
So the state patrol having all those flashing leds doesn't draw any more attention than a flashing turn signal ?

Swifster
09-20-2013, 05:51 PM
There is a difference between high intensity flashing blue & red lights than a CHMSL.

jimmijim8
09-20-2013, 05:56 PM
You're right Tom. What was I thinking? We don't need no steenking third brake light to mayhaps enhance safety. Just won't work. You're right. Spot on. I'm going to have a force field generator installed on my car when they become available. Until then I'll just install an lCD monitor on my trunk lid with the display flashing "Please Stop" when I hit the brakes . cheers jimmijim

Swifster
09-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Jim, you can put a CHMSL on your Hawk if you like. I just think it's a waste of time. Just make sure you two brake lights work.

jimmijim8
09-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Thanks for your opinion on the CHMSL but If I knew what a CHMSL was I might consider it. thanks
Jim, you can put a CHMSL on your Hawk if you like. I just think it's a waste of time. Just make sure you two brake lights work.

PlainBrownR2
09-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Man, is this thread ever moving into a wackier and wackier state, and when I mean that, I mean giving Pavlov and his classically conditioned dog some new ideas to work around! It turns out, one brakelight works, and even no brakelights work, anything beyond but 2 or more doesn't do anything. Flashing emergency red and blue lights work, but having an extra red brakelight doesn't. Apparently all those years of being conditioned to recognize flashing lights and colors, taking the appropriate actions, and learning about all of them simple highway signals has been incorrect! Go figure! :lol:

jimmijim8
09-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Not to worry. I'm done. Couple of us have excessive time so were having a wit war. cheers jimmijim
Man, is this thread ever moving into a wackier and wackier state, and when I mean that, I mean giving Pavlov and his classically conditioned dog some new ideas to work around! It turns out, one brakelight works, and even no brakelights work, anything beyond but 2 or more doesn't do anything. Flashing emergency red and blue lights work, but having an extra red brakelight doesn't. Apparently all those years of being conditioned to recognize flashing lights and colors, taking the appropriate actions, and learning about all of them simple highway signals has been incorrect! Go figure! :lol:

Swifster
09-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Earlier in the thread I described the CHMSL. It's what you've been arguing over...

Center High Mounted Stop Lamp

bob40
09-20-2013, 07:00 PM
My two cents even though I am not a insurance adjuster.;)
Drivers today are used to seeing a third stop light mounted high.They have been around long enough that most drivers initial "look" for stop lights
goes directly ahead. Think about your (everyone reading this) own driving habits.Next time your out and about pay attention to what you notice first when the car ahead of you applies the brakes.Tail lights or the CHMSL? It's called being proactive to have a third brake light. I hang around with a motley assortment of old hot rodders and even they are finding creative ways to incorporate one on their rides. If it stops someone just once from being nailed by a distracted driver or someone looking straight ahead rather than down low it was worth it.
For the record,I am more worried about getting smeared in a head on or sideswipe collision by the a**hats 'driving' today while texting,watching their GPS,talking on the cell,watching a movie or using any other of the gadgets they allow in cars today.

jimmijim8
09-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Well I'll be durned. Was not arguing. A discussion and perhaps a point of view on my part but some/you had a preconceived closed mindedness. No debate about that.
Earlier in the thread I described the CHMSL. It's what you've been arguing over...

Center Hi Mounted Stop Lamp

Studedude
09-20-2013, 08:53 PM
I hang around with a motley assortment of old hot rodders and even they are finding creative ways to incorporate one on their rides..
Can I hang out with your motley crew?
http://members.provalue.net/studes/done13.jpg

jimmijim8
09-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Now that's what I'm talking bout cheers jimmijim

Dick Steinkamp
09-20-2013, 09:08 PM

I think that's Motley Crue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4aob4zlhIk

Studedude
09-20-2013, 09:23 PM
I think that's Motley Crue...
Ewwwwwwwwwww... never mind, I'd rather hang out with members of my own species. ;)

Nice ride, though! :cool:

JoeHall
09-20-2013, 09:32 PM
What did you use for the third lite? I wound up using one from 1986-88 Monte Carlo/Buick Regal/Olds Cutlass. Looks near identical to yours, from what I can see of yours.

Studedude
09-20-2013, 10:24 PM
What did you use for the third lite? I wound up using one from 1986-88 Monte Carlo/Buick Regal/Olds Cutlass. Looks near identical to yours, from what I can see of yours.

Mine is an after market, FLAPS unit. We had to build a pedestal for it on the package tray:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/light_zps9c44891b.jpg (http://s142.photobucket.com/user/DavesPlace_photos/media/light_zps9c44891b.jpg.html)

Swifster
09-21-2013, 07:33 AM
I know Dave's car is modified already. Doesn't this move a car into the modified class for judging... LOL!

JoeHall
09-21-2013, 09:03 AM
I know Dave's car is modified already. Doesn't this move a car into the modified class for judging... LOL!
Oh darn ! I hadn't thought of that. Well, that might be a game changer. Guess I better re-think the whole 3rd brake light, er "CHMSL" idea ;)

JoeHall
09-21-2013, 09:37 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390661099749?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
This is like the one I installed on the 63. It installed easily; fit perfectly; just the right height; the rubber hood butts up against the glass, so no glare inside the car; shines brightly, and was easy to spray paint to match the interior. I liked it so well, I have since snagged two more off ebay for the other two Studes.

Apparently they are popular, because they come up on ebay often, usually for $35-$150. Patience helps; the most expensive one I bought was $45, including shipping. Will take a few pix of it installed in the car later when my son gets home with his camera phone.

Yours looks nice too, and certainly shines brightly, which is what its all about. But I bet it was a little harder to install than the one above :)

bob40
09-21-2013, 02:56 PM

Any time you want,Dave!

Studedude
09-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Yours looks nice too, and certainly shines brightly, which is what its all about. But I bet it was a little harder to install than the one above :)
Thanks, and I'll bet you are correct! I probably should snag one like yours, just to have on hand if the old one craters. Nice!

Studedude
09-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Any time you want,Dave!

:):cool::cheers: Car guys are my species! :D

PlainBrownR2
09-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Oh darn ! I hadn't thought of that. Well, that might be a game changer. Guess I better re-think the whole 3rd brake light, er "CHMSL" idea ;)

Or, as I used to do, put my Lark in stock, and whatever wasn't stock, I just owned up to the points deduction, and took one for the team! :rolleyes:

But I guess I can say I get my money's worth when the current crop of judges see the third brake light, and start arguing amongst themselves as to whether the car should actually belong in stock, modified, or custom, and not to bother with removing the points for the modification!