Name:	Pete97.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1740201Click image for larger version

Name:	Pete95.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1740202

Been sorting thru old files and photos and found this shot of what Pete looked like after being totalled in 1995. For comparison I've also included a shot of what he looked like on the way back from South Bend in 1997.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Man-o-man.. Time flies...
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yes, it does! These vehicles kind of become members of our extended "family." I've never met Pete personally, but I have followed so many of his adventures over the years that I feel like I know him.

Shucks, I even miss his sister, that little yellow lark convertible. I remember when she was strutting hear stuff, too.
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

Did it get in far enough to damage the cowl?

I totaled a three year old Mitsubishi with my '62 Lark in 2000. Pushed in the front sheet metal enough to bend one of the lower flanges up on the frame on passenger side but did not even break the headlights. Insurance totaled it out, and it cost me about $200 to get it back on the road (free donor parts car for sheet metal...)

Comment

Bob, sometimes those low flying objects and incidents are, unfortunately, what we need to engage a gear and get beyond idle.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
            Yes, it does! These vehicles kind of become members of our extended "family." I've never met Pete personally, but I have followed so many of his adventures over the years that I feel like I know him.
            I feel that way about Sheba. But, red headed hussies always tend to have a following.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
              I feel that way about Sheba. But, red headed hussies always tend to have a following.
              I'm in the shop with her right now. I told her what you said.

She winked "that" wink, and said that she met you in Memphis, but you wouldn't look at her back then, 'cause she's modified.

She also said you were too young to flirt with... back then.

She says she wants to see you again, though.

(Art made me change "slut" to "hussy" for TW, but we all know....)
              Last edited by Studedude; 08-09-2013, 06:17 PM.
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Geeze, Bob; I didn't realize it ever looked that bad. You've done yeoman duty keeping it in the air after that. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                  I'm in the shop with her right now. I told her what you said.

She winked "that" wink, and said that she met you in Memphis, but you wouldn't look at her back then, 'cause she's modified.

She also said you were too young to flirt with... back then.

She says she wants to see you again, though.

(Art made me change "slut" to "hussy" for TW, but we all know....)
                  Hey, I thought enough of Sheba as a 10 year old to stop and take a picture of her. Modified or not. <G>

One of these days I'll have to pay her a visit again.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Geeze, Bob; I didn't realize it ever looked that bad. You've done yeoman duty keeping it in the air after that. BP
                    Well, just months before the wreck, I had hauled home a 3E5 that had way better sheet metal than Pete was wearing. The truck that hit us did not push all the way to the firewall, but did try to make a hairpin out of the front axle. But what was really worse was that the A-pillars had rusted thru from INSIDE at their lower ends. When the front of the bed whacked the back of the cab, the A-pillars gave way and leaned to one side. This cracked the brand new windshield I'd just had put in. So anyways - the 3E5 donated A LOT to Pete's ressurection. What's left of the original truck is the bed and a few small miscellaneous bits as far as sheet metal goes. Maybe one of his front fenders came from some other donor - I can't recall anymore. I did get an NOS grille from Vern Ediger - I remember that.
                    I also remember gettin' paniced as the months wore down towards South Bend '97. I had a dream of driving Pete there for that meet - which we did! I wish he looked as good now as he does in that '97 pic. The elements have taken their toll as well as bumps and scrapes along the way. I've got his original frame here and I hope to have it checked and straightened. The plan would be to get it cleaned and painted and adapt the Aerostar front axle as well as a 200R4 - then transfer Pete's sheet metal onto the re-birthed frame. We'll see.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I found a couple of shots of the 3E5 that donated so much to Pete's re-birthing. Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1683216Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1683217 It sorta looks rough in that side view, but the truth was that this was one solid straight cab unit. It saved me a lot of time. The only thing I wasn't confident about fixing to my satisfaction was the big hole that had been cut in the dash to accommodate a car radio.Click image for larger version

Name:	031.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1683218

Comment

thanks for the pics

Comment

A few more pics of Pete in '97. Here's one of him during the concours. Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1683226 Here's what he was parked next to. Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1683228 Is this thing still showing up at meets? It was nicely executed, but not attractive in it's composition.

Here's Pete at the end of the line-up for the Truck Farmers Turning Wheels cover shot. Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1683227 Looks like Naugle's hauler in the foreground. Here's another shot of the cover photo shot. Poor Pete got cropped from that photo, but I was standing in the bed of the truck next to him.Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1683225

After the meet, Pete, the wife and me went on to lil ol' Temperance, Michigan. There, Pete got to spend a couple of nights in my folks garage. There he slept about 4 feet from where my bedroom was. Kinda sentimental, it was. Pete's bed so close to mine! Here's Pa 'n Ma with Pete (who was named after my dad's dad.)Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1683224
                          After visiting for a week, my wife flew back to California and I set about driving Pete back to the same destination. Aside from seeing a few derelict Studes along the way, the one BIG surprise was meeting a red E40 coming at me just west of Reno. I never did find out who that was, but I can guarantee you we were equally surprised when we spotted one another!

Comment

bump. No comments on the latest pics?

Comment

Welcome to the modified side of the club, LOL. Never thought i'd see that.
                              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                              X