New Member - need Advice on first Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member - need Advice on first Hawk

Hi there! I have decided to sell my 2011 Mustang GT convertible (that depreciates every day). This would leave me with 2 dependable daily drivers, but no "toy". I'm thinking that a Hawk would be a fun toy that is also an investment (or at least not a depreciating possession...). So, what should I buy? I like the looks of the Golden/Silver Hawks, but my wife likes the GT Hawks. As far as pricing, good looking vehicles seem to be available for $6-10K. Hagerty Insurance valuation says they are worth more than that...What am I missing? And if I do decide to go forward, what things should I be looking for/concerned about? Thanks in advance! Phillip

Insurance values are usually more than market value. $6 - 10K seems about right for a very nice driver. Economy is still shaky so good buys are out there. A better buy would be from an SDC member...you'll have a running start (pun intended). Let is know where in the "US" you are located. Offer may just pop up.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I have access to two very nice GT hawks one a supercharged 63 and the other a nice 64 both drive able and nice looking lots of work done to both to just get in and drive home, where do you live always helps to know when talking about moving cars around.......Bob 510-266-2522 if interested in talking or you can just use the PM here.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Chuck Kenny has a supposedly turn key nice 62 GT advertised on the Unofficial Studebaker Drivers club swap page. {www.studebakerswap.com} August ads right near 10,000. Chuck is a long time member and afficianado. He always has nice stuff at fair prices. He doesn't sell junk. White Cloud Minnesota. cheers jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Phillip, If you decided to go with the GT Hawks go for a 64. Very low production numbers, just a little over 1,500 built.

Mark

Comment

I wish I had known before I bought my 63. cheers
            Originally posted by JEWELL View Post
            Phillip, If you decided to go with the GT Hawks go for a 64. Very low production numbers, just a little over 1,500 built.

Mark
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

IMHO there are two Hawks to look at. The 1964 GT Hawk are the one's to look at in the GT series, with cleaner deck lid, grill surrounds and LOW production numbers. Otherwise it would have to be a 1961 Hawk with 4 speed. 1961 is the first year with 4 speed and have that Iconic early 60's look.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum.

Allen
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
              PSMCDR 2013
              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

You knew that Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                  I wish I had known before I bought my 63. cheers
                  Well my 64 did not come with a battery hold down (don't tell Mr. Palma) so you got a better deal on your 63. It did come with a battery hold down didn't it?

Mark

Comment

Thanks for all the quick replies! I'm near Tampa, Florida, but get up to NC occasionally. I would be OK with buying a car and shipping it to me in Florida (if the price + shipping was still reasonable, and it came from a trustworthy source). Phillip
                    Last edited by pbrown; 08-09-2013, 11:32 AM.

Comment

See Bob Petersen's post above (candbstudebakers). He finds some awesome cars and the prices are usually right. Sal and TXrebel are always coming up with sweet finds, too. Good luck.
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by pbrown View Post
                        Thanks or all the quick replies! I'm near Tampa, Florida, but get up to NC occasionally. I would be OK with buying a car and shipping it to me in Florida (if the price + shipping was still reasonable, and it came from a trustworthy source). Phillip
                        Where do you come to in NC...Totempole.

Comment

After more discussion with my wife she now agrees that tail fins are a must have, so it sounds like a Golden/Silver Hawk is what we need.

Comment

I lived in Denver NC (near Charlotte) all my life until I moved to Fl last Oct. I go to Gastonia occasionally to visit my son, DIL and grand-daughter

Comment

I agree a that a 61 would be a good way to go, I don't remember where but I saw a fantastic 61 in red/black on craigslist, needed minor work, are you at mechanically inclined? Or need something truly finished.

Comment

Working...
                              X