PDA

View Full Version : California Auctions result

JBOYLE
08-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Last weekend, Auctions America had a sale in LA. The ex-Dick Van Dyke Avanti brought $29,700, a 48 Commander Deluxe convertible brought $13,750 and a 49 Champion Starlight coupe brought $12,100.

Commander Eddie
08-09-2013, 01:35 PM
I was watching an episode of that as well and saw a 1916 Studebaker sell for around $14 - $16K. I did not write it down. Sorry.
I don't think the announcers knew much about Studebakers. They kept talking about how this vehicle showed the period when automobiles were making the transition from wagons. But never mentioned that Studebaker was the only car maker that actually started off making wagons. I think they missed an opportunity for some education there.

studegary
08-09-2013, 02:13 PM
I was watching an episode of that as well and saw a 1916 Studebaker sell for around $14 - $16K. I did not write it down. Sorry.
I don't think the announcers knew much about Studebakers. They kept talking about how this vehicle showed the period when automobiles were making the transition from wagons. But never mentioned that Studebaker was the only car maker that actually started off making wagons. I think they missed an opportunity for some education there.

Wasn't that in the Nevada auction, not the California auction?

Commander Eddie
08-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Definitely in California. They kept showing shots of Hollywood going in and out of the breaks. They also had Jay Leno on with the announcers for a while giving color commentary.

studegary
08-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Definitely in California. They kept showing shots of Hollywood going in and out of the breaks. They also had Jay Leno on with the announcers for a while giving color commentary.

On second thought, you are correct. I guess that I am already on overload from watching these auctions.

I was disappointed that the '61 Champ wasn't sold (in Reno) when they had on air coverage. Anymore, it seems like an extra lot of time is taken up with commercials, contests, annoying segments, etc. and not the actual sale of vehicles.

I did notice what seemed like exceptional good buys in Reno. Like the blue RX7 for $3500, the Lexus coupe, the Series 7 BMW, the Rolls Royce. It looked like foreign vehicles were not drawing much.

JBOYLE
08-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Actually, the 16 Studebaker was bid to $17,500 but did not sell, failing to make its reserve. . http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/all-lots.cfm?SaleCode=BB13&search=&category=Cars&year=&make=&model=&collection=&day=&order=runorder&noreserve=&feature=&stillforsale=&grouping=&page=13 Overall, except for the obvious popular cars, I thought the prices were down at this event. And in somewhat Studebaker-related news, a 1968 Excalibur sold for $24,000.