PDA

View Full Version : Avanti II Cat Converter

Madd Doodler
08-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Anyone know where I can find a direct fit catalytic converter for my 1980 Avanti II with a 350?
All the local parts stores have no listings for it. I can find a universal but it's much smaller than the original and I wonder if it will do the job as well as it shuold.

Gunslinger
08-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Modern design cats are much better than an original...they work better at removing pollutants and are more free flowing...less back pressure. I'd go with a modern cat and have an adapter pipe fitted. The modern units would likely be less expensive than a "correct" one. With less back pressure, you might even be able to retune your carburetor for better performance and fuel economy.

If you're determined to have a correct converter, I would think it would be a contemporary GM unit since it's a GM engine. I would think maybe a cat from an '80 Camaro or Corvette or whatever the engine codes say it was intended for.

DEEPNHOCK
08-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Call Reggie Graham at CRW Parts in Roanoke, VA.
He (or one of his guys) can help you.
They specialize in exhaust products and have all the stuff in house.
They ship everywhere in the country.

Exhaust Contact: Reggie Graham - 800.542.5733
http://www.crwparts.com/exhaust/exhaust.html

Anyone know where I can find a direct fit catalytic converter for my 1980 Avanti II with a 350?
All the local parts stores have no listings for it. I can find a universal but it's much smaller than the original and I wonder if it will do the job as well as it shuold.

Gunslinger
08-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Unless your state specifically prohibits it on a car that old, why not simply do away with the catalytic converter altogether? If the casing is in good shape, maybe it can be emptied and just run it that way. It won't be the first time that's been done.

Skip Lackie
08-09-2013, 05:23 PM
To add to what Gunslinger said: I dunno what NY law says, but in most states, vehicles with antique/historic plates are exempt from emissions inspections and standards, so you probably can get along without one. If you have regular plates on your car (and must undergo emissions inspections) and/or just want to be a responsible citizen, then Gunslinger's post #2 is correct. I replaced the OEM cat on my 78 El Camino with a much smaller and cheaper universal unit and the emissions went down.

Rerun
08-10-2013, 05:26 AM
Steve,

I assume that it would be identical to the cat from my '78. I'll be coming your way in a few weeks. If you need it sooner, you know how to get to my place.

showbizkid
08-10-2013, 10:40 AM
And if you do find an actual "cat converter", let me know - my cat irritates me no end. I'd rather convert it to a dog :D