Studebaker registration history question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker registration history question

Hello! I'm restoring (still) a 1963 Studebaker Avanti R-1 and was wondering if anyone here had any experience researching the registration history of these cars. I have the ownership/registration history traced back to 1982, but there the trail goes cold. I bought one of those N+A Avanti buildsheets but it doesn't list who the car was sold to, or what Studebaker dealership it was sent to. Anyone have any suggestions for resources? I'd love to get a more complete life history together for this car. Thanks!

Greyson

Some states will do a search of their historical registration records, usually for a fee. If you have traced it back to 1982, have you tried contacting the DMV in the state in which is was registered then?

Be aware, however, that many DMVs do not offer such services, and in fact, many destroy all records older than 20 or 25 years.

Since you have the production order, does it indicate the city to which the car was shipped? If so, you may be able to make a list of possible dealerships. There's another thread on this site that is cataloging dealerships. Some of those dealers are still in business selling something else.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Some states will do a search of their historical registration records, usually for a fee. If you have traced it back to 1982, have you tried contacting the DMV in the state in which is was registered then?

Be aware, however, that many DMVs do not offer such services, and in fact, many destroy all records older than 20 or 25 years.

Since you have the production order, does it indicate the city to which the car was shipped? If so, you may be able to make a list of possible dealerships. There's another thread on this site that is cataloging dealerships. Some of those dealers are still in business selling something else.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

What is the serial number (not the body number).

Richard Quinn
        editor: Antique Studebaker Review
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

What is the serial number (not the body number).

Richard Quinn
          editor: Antique Studebaker Review
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Most DMV records can be accessed due to the 'Freedom of Information Act'. As mentioned, many states destroy records after a certain amount of time. If you tracked the car back to 1982, I'd try and find that owner and see if he/she can shed some light on the prior history of the car. Tracing the history of a car can be like tracing your ancesters. It can be done, but very time consuming.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1903.98)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Most DMV records can be accessed due to the 'Freedom of Information Act'. As mentioned, many states destroy records after a certain amount of time. If you tracked the car back to 1982, I'd try and find that owner and see if he/she can shed some light on the prior history of the car. Tracing the history of a car can be like tracing your ancesters. It can be done, but very time consuming.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1903.98)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
              X