Twin Traction Concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Twin Traction Concern

Before I put my new wheels and tires on, I want to check the brakes. I know I need a puller for the rear drums, but what is the procedure and twin traction cautions (if any) when I reinstall and tighten them back on the axle?

As far as cautions go, I don't think that having twin traction makes any difference if all you're doing is pulling the drums, only if you're pulling out the rear AXLES. In that case the axles are trickier to reinstall than a non-twin traction axle. But, someone more knowledgeable on this than I will surely respond.

Dave Bonn
    '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Originally posted by Washtubman View Post
      Before I put my new wheels and tires on, I want to check the brakes. I know I need a puller for the rear drums, but what is the procedure and twin traction cautions (if any) when I reinstall and tighten them back on the axle?
      The thrust blocks can be a pain. Check this thread-

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

If you do not disturb the axles, TT makes no difference.

My main caution to you is to use a HUB PULLER, not a drum puller.

If you use the SEARCH function there has been much discussion on this subject.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          If you do not disturb the axles, TT makes no difference.

My main caution to you is to use a HUB PULLER, not a drum puller.

If you use the SEARCH function there has been much discussion on this subject.
          Thanks Gary, I meant a hub puller. I just can't find one!

Comment

Sears always used to carry them. Sears has been watered down lately, but it's still a good place to start.

Some older rental places should have them, but they will have been abused.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

SI sells them. And so does Snap-On.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Chuck Collins in Phoenix has one that has multiple bolt patterns & uses all 5 of the lugs instead of just the 3. I have 2 of the ones shown above but am thinking of getting one of the ones from Chuck too.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    JC Whitney has two models: good & better; both are much cheaper than SI or Chuck's. Their better model is very similar to the one pictured above, and has served me well for many years and many hub removals. The one pictured above is best, due to finer threads, which will pull harder, with less hammering, but any of the three (good, better or best) will get the job done.

Comment

AutoZone has them in their loaner program....
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I bought one from Chuck in Colorado, He said he loans them out, with a $100 deposit, and he never gets the puller back! They are patterned off the original Studebaker puller.

Jim
                        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                        their Memorials!

Comment

Met a very nice Studebaker man from Summitville, IN and he was nice enough to loan me his for the week. First hub is off without much problem, tomorrow I will tackle the other after I rebuild the wheel cylinder. On the bright side, the shoes and drum look very good.

Comment

My thrust blocks fell out when I pulled the axles from my TT rear end. The roll pin holding them was loose from wear. I had to remove the differential to replace them. I used a new snug fitting pin.
                            After getting everything together I noticed a wheel wobble so everything had to come apart again to get the axles straightened. I had previously had the hubs machined to fit GM drums which go on the outside of the hubs. My 3 claw puller warped the hubs so I had to get them straightened too. I would think a 5 claw puller with one on every stud would better balance the tension evenly.

Comment

This is the hub puller I built this spring out of an old hub I had lying around from converting drums for flanged axles. I have never removed drums easier than with this tool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130605_223527.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1683247

Allen
                              1964 GT Hawk
                              PSMCDR 2014
                              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                              PSMCDR 2013
                              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada