What is this???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: What is this???

62 GT Hawk with regular points, condenser & rotor...Getting ready to install Ignitor points replacement system...start checking out the distributor wiring and notice a 6"x3" aluminum box attached to the firewall, has 2 circular fuse looking caps, removed one and it has very thin wire like contacts, nothing else...harness has 4 wires, red, white, green & blue(or Gray)...the red wire goes to a plastic contact block screwed to the firewall and joins to a red/black combination wire from the main harness, there is also a small metal resistor looking piece attached to the mounting screw...white wire goes to a second plastic contact block and joins the green wire from the coil...Green wire goes to second contact block and joins black wire from distributor...Blue (gray) wire goes to same block and joins Blue (gray) wire from coil, there is also a yellow wire jumping from the main harness to this harness...WHAT IS THIS??? HOW DO I GET AROUND THIS MESS TO INSTALL THE IGNITOR SYSTEM...Totempole.

You never noticed this before you bought the Pertronix Electronic Ignition System if that is what it is?

This could be a Electronic Ignition box usually there is a name on it MSD, Excel, Magna Spark, Crane, Mallory etc, etc. if it is hooked up and working you may not need another.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Some aftermarket capacitive discharge ignition systems use the original points as the switching device for a more powerful ignition spark.
      They greatly reduce the voltage to the points, so the points last a lot longer, but you get a bigger/better spark at the spark plug.
      This setup is great, but it does not alleviate point rubbing block wear, or proper point adjustment.

You should be able to remove it all without hurting anything, and install your all electronic setup.
      Just follow their instructions.
      HTIH
      Jeff
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Then again, do you have any enemies? It might be a bomb! BE CAREFUL!

(Just kidding....)

Dave Bonn
        '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
          Then again, do you have any enemies? It might be a bomb! BE CAREFUL!

(Just kidding....)

Dave Bonn
          '54 Champion Starliner
          Very Funny...just trying to get my GT Hawk right...Totempole.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            Some aftermarket capacitive discharge ignition systems use the original points as the switching device for a more powerful ignition spark.
            They greatly reduce the voltage to the points, so the points last a lot longer, but you get a bigger/better spark at the spark plug.
            This setup is great, but it does not alleviate point rubbing block wear, or proper point adjustment.

You should be able to remove it all without hurting anything, and install your all electronic setup.
            Just follow their instructions.
            HTIH
            Jeff
            Thanks man appreciate you...Totemplole

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              You never noticed this before you bought the Pertronix Electronic Ignition System if that is what it is?

This could be a Electronic Ignition box usually there is a name on it MSD, Excel, Magna Spark, Crane, Mallory etc, etc. if it is hooked up and working you may not need another.
              No name on it...it's hooked up... working right is another issue, but it did not replace points & condenser. Totempole

Comment

Can't find a name on this "electronic ignition box"... do see a triangle on the "diode covers"...has a red button on the bottom with these instructions..."switch in for C. D. out for conventional", switch is in the OUT position...Totempole.

Comment

Well, there you go!
                  It is a capacitive discharge (CD) ignition system add on unit, with a switch to turn it on and off.

Originally posted by Totempole View Post
                  Can't find a name on this "electronic ignition box"... do see a triangle on the "diode covers"...has a red button on the bottom with these instructions..."switch in for C. D. out for conventional", switch is in the OUT position...Totempole.
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Pertronix units are for Delco window distributors or Prestolite dual point distributors. I do not believe they make one for the single point Prestolite. If you have the single point distributor, then keep the C.D. unit you have & just replace the points in the distributor.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

With that CD box, points are good for about 40,000 miles, instead of the usual 15,000 or so. With that setup, wear-block wear is what determines when its time to change the points, so just need to grease the cam every 10,000 miles or so. I ran one on a 56J, and one on a GT for a looong time. They used to be cheap, and readily available, i.e from JC Whitney.

The Pertronix is nice, but would put you on the side of the road if it ever failed. If the CD box ever failed, one need only to push the button on the bottom in order to revert to conventional ignition.

Comment

With the CD box, you already have electronic ignition; it's just triggered by the points instead of by a magnetic pickup. I don't think point dwell is meaningful anymore with that setup. It just triggers on the points opening. So as the rubbing block wears slowly down, the timing will become later and later. Setting the point gap back to spec will cure that. But....

But you still have a Prestolite distributor, and they are notorious for bad wear on the centrifugal advance mechanism. Doesn't matter how good a spark you have, if it's delivered at the wrong time, the engine will not be happy. I'd vote for keeping the CD box as a cool vintage accessory, and taking the distributor out and giving it a thorough service to put it in top shape.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                        X