PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: Avanti Fuel Pump Mounting

sweetolbob
08-08-2013, 05:47 PM
There are a couple of recent threads on mounting fuel pumps that got my attention. Today I put the 74 on my lift and started to scout out locations under the car. My pump on the 83 is mounted on the outside of the frame and hangs down below it somewhat. It seems ok, but now that I can get a clear look under them, I'd like to find a better spot if possible.

I'm using a Carter pump and a 30 micron prefilter so the position needed to allow both in tandem.

Short and sweet!! There is a perfect spot on the rear crossmember where it contacts the frame at the rear wheel kickup.

26510 26511

I've opted to use Stainless Steel Braided covered, alcohol resistent line where I need bends and 3/8" & 5/16" steel tubing for the straight runs along the frame.

I posted this separately as It may have little to offer on the non-Avantis but it should work on either side of the Avanti frame/crossmember.

The only downside is you need a 90 Deg drill with a multibit to drill the holes and I used Polyurethane shock absorber bushings as I had a few on hand.

Bob

SScopelli
08-09-2013, 03:53 AM
There are a couple of recent threads on mounting fuel pumps that got my attention.

Bob

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the picture.. It helps a lot in the discussion!

Looks like its installed on an airplane!

My only comment is it accessibility when you get the exhaust pipe installed as the hanger bracket is right below it..
The pipe is straight there, so access is still possible, and the exhaust heat is negligible at that point.

Cool other wise..

sweetolbob
08-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Hey Bob,

Thanks for the picture.. It helps a lot in the discussion!

Looks like its installed on an airplane!

My only comment is it accessibility when you get the exhaust pipe installed as the hanger bracket is right below it..
The pipe is straight there, so access is still possible, and the exhaust heat is negligible at that point.

Cool other wise..

Both very good observations. The heat issue was a concern but as I look at the proximity, I don't think it's an issue. If it was, I'd probably just put a turn of high temp exhaust wrap there. The accessibility comment will warrant some further investigation when I get the 83 up on the hoist with the 2 1/4" exhaust system on it and see if I can get a hand up there.

What I like about the site is the braided hose exits nicely over the frame and has room to curve naturally along the frame without a quick turn and mate with the steel portion in the original Avanti II position.

Anyone looking should heed your observation but in my case, the exhaust shouldn't reach that area, as I have other plans for it.

BTW, before the tank is filled there will be a shutoff valve in front of the filter.

Thanks, Bob