PDA

View Full Version : August 2013 Turning Wheels - Question

JimC
08-08-2013, 01:08 PM
On the back inside cover of this month's issue, there's a great pic of a lineup of '59 Larks in front of Newman & Altman. I noticed that most of them have been two toned with the roof being a darker color. I'm aware that this was a dealer thing, and the factory never (as far as I know) two-toned a Lark, but my question is would this be something that was done at the customer's request only (and these cars were already purchased) or would dealers sometimes do this without a customer request, just to spice up the offerings?

BobPalma
08-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Jim: Since this was a fleet order, they were undoubtedly two-toned at the factory.

I don't have Build Orders for any of them, but here is a P.O. for a 1962 Lark Indiana State Police Car. Not only is it two-tone, it was two-toned from two colors not otherwise among the solid-color 1962 regular-production Lark offerings:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/62larkpolicecarbuild_zpsc848ed17.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/62larkpolicecarbuild_zpsc848ed17.jpg.html)

Note the Paint Code P6201: Special. That told production to look elsewhere for the actual colors to be applied, as you can see on the P.O.

Fleet orders were all over the place as to color combinations. :cool: BP

JimC
08-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Thanks Bob! I'm sure that at some point I've heard that they did two tone fleet orders, but some things slip my mind more easily than others :)

Bill Pressler
08-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Bob, it always cracked me up that 'accurate speedometer' was an option! LOL

My friend Chub Eddy's '64 R2 Super Cruiser, serial 64V-14402 was built with that option!

Speaking of Newman and Altman--everyone seems to remember their S. Michigan Avenue dealership locaation, but I've never seen a recent photo or heard a thing about the Studebaker dealer location, 220 W. Jefferson, shown in the photo. I wonder what's there now?

BobPalma
08-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks Bob! I'm sure that at some point I've heard that they did two tone fleet orders, but some things slip my mind more easily than others :)

Yes, I really wish they had offered the Indiana State Police Marine Blue as an option. It was really pretty; just a hair lighter than 1964 Strato Blue, probably due to a tad more metallic...but not much.

I remember all the Indiana State Police Cars in that color for many years. :!: BP

BobPalma
08-08-2013, 02:34 PM
And you guys will note that Twin Traction and Dual Exhausts were not specified :confused: on the 1962 Lark Indiana State Police Car, even though 4-bbl carb, 289 engine, and Heavy-Duty Flightomatic were listed! :eek:

I have no idea where in Indiana they planned to send that car where they'd never need Twin Traction! ;) BP

Studebaker Wheel
08-08-2013, 02:40 PM
For reference.

8E45E
08-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Jim: Since this was a fleet order, they were undoubtedly two-toned at the factory. Fleet orders were all over the place as to color combinations. :cool: BP

So was this '63 Lark police car that belonged to JDP which was also factory two-toned: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?57104-Cop-car-photo&highlight=grandview

Craig