PDA

View Full Version : New POS equipment for the Museum

avantilover
08-08-2013, 01:20 AM
I noticed the Board approved $10,000 for a new Point of Sale system for the museum, as below (copied from the posting on the Board Page):
On May 12, 2013 the Studebaker Drivers Club Board of Directors had an online meeting. Those present by internet or phone were Carl Thomason, Mimi Halgren, Nita Ketchum, Jane Stinson, Tom Curtis, Paul Dammes, Colin Fort, Edward Burris, Larry Swanson, Cliff Tattersall, Frank van Doorn, Ed Wenger and James Bell. Absent were Gary Ash and Ebon Jones. Below are the items that were voted on.

Bob Henning presented a request of $10,000 for a new POS (point of sale) system for the Studebaker National Museum. This would be from the Capital Cost Fund. Mimi Halgren made the motion and seconded by Edward Burris. The motion passed unanimously.
New decals have been designed. Edward Burris made a motion to purchase 20,000 decals. Frank van Doorn made the second. The motion passed unanimously. These will be sent with renewals and to new members. Additional decals will be available at the SNM store.

Can any of the above clarify whether this will mean those of us not in the US will be able to make online purchases and pay via PayPal say, instead of the current "We don't accept etc. message the museum lists)?

I can accept the need for an invoice including postage options to various places like on eBay, but am not interested in handing over my Visa details including the verification number just because "we don't" has been past practice.

No issue if not, just would seem a wasted opportunity to update to the latest methods.

I wish the Museum well regardless of their policies on this matter.

christophe
08-08-2013, 05:59 AM
I'd say that any overseas member thinks exactly like you do (well, at least I do!). I hope that this real annoyance will be solved soon. There are some books I'd like to order. I trust them of couse, but one can't help of being uncomfortable when sending a clear message with all the credit card data included.
Nice day to all.

avantilover
08-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Are none of the Board Members available to clarify this?

stude dude
08-09-2013, 10:02 PM
I have always been happy to give the museum my credit card details, BUT.....it is still difficult to place an order from overseas. Up to a few years ago we could order store merchandise and production orders by fax which was ok. Now we have to call them (at 1 am our time!) or white a letter. Most overseas members just don't bother anymore, and I am sure many overseas SDC members have probably allowed their SNM membership to lapse.

The museum does have a great online ordering system for US members but since approx. 10% of Studebaker owners live outside of the US (maybe more), this seems to be a bit of a handicap.

Chris.

avantilover
08-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Indeed, I have tried to get the message through, they don't care and will continue to "beg" for donations when money could flow into their bank 24/7/365.

Side benefit means you get the money for parts instead (Laughs).

Studedude
08-09-2013, 10:47 PM
It does seem that a club that promotes itself as an International concern would be mindful of the needs of members "out of country."

'Seems such mindfulness would not just benefit offshore members, but the club, as well.

Well, so it seems.

Obviously, it's not that simple. <G>

Milaca
08-09-2013, 10:49 PM
It may be best to E-mail the museum for a response to your question and post their response here. Seems to me that credit card transaction machines should be given to vendors for free being that the credit card companies get a percentage of each transaction made when their card is used for a purchase.

avantilover
08-09-2013, 11:31 PM
You're probably right Brent, I'm just tired of "we don't" and don't expect any improvement.

Contrast to SAKS of 5th Avenue (I realize they have more funds) Immediately a screen appeared "we ship to Australia and our prices are in Australian Dollars" it amazed me what folks can do now days - I wouldn't expect the museum to go to such trouble but even just accepting PayPal would be a start.

I hope your fleet are running fine, mine is being repaired/modified.

stephenj
08-10-2013, 09:06 AM
I have been asking about on-line ordering for some time and the answer is always "We are working on it" It seems odd that Studebaker International doesn't have any problem with on-line orders from Canada.

avantilover
08-10-2013, 09:19 AM
It's probably a two pronged issue - they don't really care so are not in any hurry and don't (at least until recently) have the finances to act.
Time will tell.

qsanford
08-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Perhaps someone with the knowledge of implementing such things could step forward and offer to help the Museum.

gordr
08-10-2013, 10:20 AM
AFAIK a "point of sale system" is a cash register and the software to run it, and has zilch to do with on line ordering.

Stu Chapman
08-10-2013, 05:47 PM
AFAIK a "point of sale system" is a cash register and the software to run it, and has zilch to do with on line ordering.

Gord, you are correct. However to all members who have raised these concerns, I will again have a discussion with Becky and see if we can come up with some satisfactory answers. In the meantime please bear with me. I will see what I can do.
Stu Chapman

studegary
08-10-2013, 07:42 PM
It does seem that a club that promotes itself as an International concern would be mindful of the needs of members "out of country."

'Seems such mindfulness would not just benefit offshore members, but the club, as well.

Well, so it seems.

Obviously, it's not that simple. <G>

Please do not confuse the club (SDC) with the museum (SNM). They are entirely different entities run by different people and with different funds.

Studedude
08-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Please do not confuse the club (SDC) with the museum (SNM). They are entirely different entities run by different people and with different funds.
Good point, Gary... thanks. But, still....

Stu Chapman
08-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Just to keep all of you up to date as promised....I have been in touch with the Museum's Executive Director and the matter is being looked into forthwith. You'll have answers as soon as they're available.
Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
08-10-2013, 10:13 PM

You're quite correct Gary, however the Museum operates the SDC Store and therein lies some of the problems. In reality SDC and SNM share our traditions and legacies though. It is important that we work together, at least IMHO.
Stu Chapman

Bob Henning
08-11-2013, 10:02 AM
I apologize for not writing sooner.

As the Chairman of the Cost Committee, and the person charged with the responsibilty of monitoring the process, I am asking that you have patience. Gordon (see above) is right. The SDC approved the funds for a new POS system. This system has nothing to do with the shipping or whether or not the Museum takes Paypal. It is inventory, reports, cost control, and monitoring of a growing retail store. This was intentioned for two things:

1. To properly monitor the day to day operation of both the Museum store, the SDC Store at the Museum, and to track movement of product within the store so as to determine future decisions to carry an item based on sales. This system has already saved countless man hours and made the processs more stream-lined.

2. To provide shipping information to the folks packing items for shipment so that they can accurately get product to customers in a more timely manner.

In looking over this request, because the request was for a significant amount of money, I spent several hours at the Museum tracking exactly what happened when someone ordered an item. When I saw the long drawn out process, my only comment was, "I don't know how you do it". They were using software that was old and incredibly complex. Based on the amount of time spent on an order, I calculated with the process streamlined, it would take about only a short time before more productive work could be done in the time alloted besides walking orders from the store to the basement for shipping, and the constant duplication of reports converted from the old software to Excel. Instead of spending labor time on duplicating work, they could be more productive.

Just to back up a bit, the Cost Committee consists of 3 people, myself, Stu Chapman, and Max Gretencord. The last two names are pretty well known guys. This Committee not only has not only the interest of the Museum, but also the interest of SDC members like you and I who contribute our money every year to these causes. When I discussed this earlier this year with the Museum I brought up the concerns of members who are not in the USA about how those orders are handled, not just from a shipping standpoint, but also for such items as Paypal, and what ever form of payment may lie in the future. They needed to start with an efficient system of handling an order first. This is a point that I brought up at the Board Meeting in Colorado Springs.

In conclusion, John, your concerns are well taken, (except for the shot at Becky) and valid questions in my opinion. Your timing is great. They are being worked on. This will be taken care of. The Capital Cost distribution of money had nothing to do with taking Paypal. That is a function of another piece of software, and the cost of this is unknown to me. This is an International Club. The Museum is not Saks 5th Avenue. Stu has contacted the Museum, and I am not going duplicate his work. Stu is also right in saying that both the SDC Store at the Museum, and the Museum Store have the same goals. Remember 4 months ago there wasn't even an SDC store. The new name is the SDC Store at the Museum. Things like this do not happen overnight. Please be patient.

Question, and this is for all International members, United States too, would you be more inclined to use the services, become a member of the Museum, and take advantage of the 20% discount if they took Paypal?

Bob Henning

JoeHall
08-11-2013, 10:30 AM

As the Chairman of the Cost Committee, and the person charged with the responsibilty of monitoring the process, I am asking that you have patience. Gordon (see above) is right. The SDC approved the funds for a new POS system. This system has nothing to do with the shipping or whether or not the Museum takes Paypal. It is inventory, reports, cost control, and monitoring of a growing retail store. This was intentioned for two things:

1. To properly monitor the day to day operation of both the Museum store, the SDC Store at the Museum, and to track movement of product within the store so as to determine future decisions to carry an item based on sales. This system has already saved countless man hours and made the processs more stream-lined.

2. To provide shipping information to the folks packing items for shipment so that they can accurately get product to customers in a more timely manner.

In looking over this request, because the request was for a significant amount of money, I spent several hours at the Museum tracking exactly what happened when someone ordered an item. When I saw the long drawn out process, my only comment was, "I don't know how you do it". They were using software that was old and incredibly complex. Based on the amount of time spent on an order, I calculated with the process streamlined, it would take about only a short time before more productive work could be done in the time alloted besides walking orders from the store to the basement for shipping, and the constant duplication of reports converted from the old software to Excel. Instead of spending labor time on duplicating work, they could be more productive.

Just to back up a bit, the Cost Committee consists of 3 people, myself, Stu Chapman, and Max Gretencord. The last two names are pretty well known guys. This Committee not only has not only the interest of the Museum, but also the interest of SDC members like you and I who contribute our money every year to these causes. When I discussed this earlier this year with the Museum I brought up the concerns of members who are not in the USA about how those orders are handled, not just from a shipping standpoint, but also for such items as Paypal, and what ever form of payment may lie in the future. They needed to start with an efficient system of handling an order first. This is a point that I brought up at the Board Meeting in Colorado Springs.

In conclusion, John, your concerns are well taken, (except for the shot at Becky) and valid questions in my opinion. Your timing is great. They are being worked on. This will be taken care of. The Capital Cost distribution of money had nothing to do with taking Paypal. That is a function of another piece of software, and the cost of this is unknown to me. This is an International Club. The Museum is not Saks 5th Avenue. Stu has contacted the Museum, and I am not going duplicate his work. Stu is also right in saying that both the SDC Store at the Museum, and the Museum Store have the same goals. Remember 4 months ago there wasn't even an SDC store. The new name is the SDC Store at the Museum. Things like this do not happen overnight. Please be patient.

Question, and this is for all International members, United States too, would you be more inclined to use the services, become a member of the Museum, and take advantage of it?

Bob Henning
Bob,
Thanks for your update. A couple of questions: Why couldn't a more safe/efficient/convenient payment system have been tucked under developing, "an efficient system of handling an order"? Since receiving payment an early step in handling an order, could that not be addressed simultaneously, instead of the more methodical approach outlined above? If its too hard to do, maybe hire an outside consultant, or simply outsource?

avantilover
08-12-2013, 08:01 AM

Question, and this is for all International members, United States too, would you be more inclined to use the services, become a member of the Museum, and take advantage of the 20% discount if they took Paypal?

Bob Henning

Well, I certainly would, and my remarks about Becky Bonham [now removed] were not directed at her personally, only in the sense that she {in her role} requests donations in TW that {currently} those of us overseas are unable to contribute to until PayPal or Visa/MasterCard arrangements are instituted - I had intended the comments as irony, something which didn't come out in the text and I apologise if she or anyone else took offense.

Now it's back to Bob and his crew to get the show on the road, and I wish them well doing just that.

avantilover
08-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Joe, it has been explained to me that the production order delay is because Andy Beckman waits to receive say 15 orders which makes it worth the "trouble" of going to the Archive where they are stored (think it was the Archive), turning on the lights and heat etc. and spending the time to locate/duplicate them.

I expressed an opinion that "we" [SDC and those associated with the Board and Museum] could/should ask Galen Govier (Chrysler) and Kevin Marti (Ford) for their suggestions on how we could improve our system - maybe down the track scanning them into the computer and having "instant access" [possible???].

I realize this would be a long-term project (if possible) but we could at least learn what we could/should do, which we don't appear to know now.

There is also the current owner of these orders - discussions could happen to insure their long-term survival in "our" hands, it would be a loss if the owners' heirs decided to dispose of them once they gained control, unlikely as it may be, but until we have legal documentation safeguarding their future in "our" care there is a risk.

Hope this clears things up.

8E45E
08-12-2013, 08:46 AM
I expressed an opinion that "we" [SDC and those associated with the Board and Museum] could/should ask Galen Govier (Chrysler) and Kevin Marti (Ford) for their suggestions on how we could improve our system - maybe down the track scanning them into the computer and having "instant access" [possible???]

Are you aware of how much work that will take? Imagine taking the 1959 model year alone with over 100,000 vehicles and individually scanning (which are paper copies) and saving each one. It will be a five year (or more) project to scan every last production order in existence, microfilm & paper copy, and that would only be accomplished by someone working FULL TIME on it.

Craig

BobPalma
08-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Are you aware of how much work that will take? Imagine taking the 1959 model year alone with over 100,000 vehicles and individually scanning (which are paper copies) and saving each one. It will be a five year (or more) project to scan every last production order in existence, microfilm & paper copy, and that would only be accomplished by someone working FULL TIME on it. Craig

Good point(s).

The SNM is using many interns, now, for various projects. It would be interesting to know how information was transferred to Galen Govier and Kevin Marti. I'm pretty sure Kevin paid for his, and wouldn't be surprised if Galen hadn't done the same.

In any case, it must be a money-making project, and that would require an enormous investment. (I have a Marti Report for my 1973 Mustang convertible, but I'm not sure what was paid for it as it was received as a gift.)

Too, Studebaker's Production Records are not the physical property of (owned by) The Studebaker National Museum. As Dick Quinn has reported from time to time, the records are owned by Geoff Newman. They are rented by the SNM on a per-use basis; a portion of the payment tendered for each copy's information goes to Geoff Newman for "rent." Obviously, that would figure into the wholesale sale of all of them to anybody for any purpose. :cool: BP

8E45E
08-12-2013, 09:07 AM
One must also keep in mind a Marti Report is not an actual copy of a FoMoCo production order. I posted a photo of one here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?62420-Orphan-of-the-Day-06-11-1970-(Mercury)-Cyclone-Spoiler&highlight=CYCLONE

Craig

christophe
08-12-2013, 11:15 AM

Bob Henning

Hello Bob,
Thank you very much for your concern and your detailed answer.
So far, I bought my production order and supported the Adopt-a-car program (1932 Six). If orders were convenient for overseas members, there is no doubt that a lot more items from the SNM would be at my home (Of course, I would start with My Father the Car). I clearly understand the necessity of a global audit in order to get maximum efficiency. There may be some technical or legal aspects that I'm unaware of, but, creating a Paypal account is simply a matter of minutes and would certainly be the easiest and the cheapest way to handle international orders. In my opinion, the SNM is losing money with its current policy.

GinettaG12P
08-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I had to read this because POS has other meanings. I wondered what POS was going into the museum.

avantilover
08-12-2013, 11:30 PM
I understand we have lots of records, but we need to consider the use of modern hi speed scanning equipment, possibly thousands of records could be scanned per hour or day and our requirements may be done in a year or less!!!

Inquiries could be made from those like Xerox or Canon or Oce who make such devices to learn what there is available.

Maybe we could arrange a lease or loan of the technology we require and - begin, at least we would know what we could do - The cost and how long it may take - we are only guessing at present.

brian6373
08-13-2013, 12:18 AM
I for one, would be more inclined to purchase from the SDC store or the museum if Pay Pal were available.

Stu Chapman
08-13-2013, 08:35 PM
FOLLOW-UP
I'd like to update members on this subject as promised. Through discussion with the Studebaker National Museum officials, steps are being taken to hopefully resolve all the issues raised in this thread. Please be patient for a little while longer. I hope I can have some satisfactory answers within a week or so.
Stu Chapman

avantilover
08-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Guess that means I'll have to buy something now.

Laughs.

Thanks Stu, our very own yoda. (Smile)

christophe
08-14-2013, 03:29 AM
FOLLOW-UP
I'd like to update members on this subject as promised. Through discussion with the Studebaker National Museum officials, steps are being taken to hopefully resolve all the issues raised in this thread. Please be patient for a little while longer. I hope I can have some satisfactory answers within a week or so.
Stu Chapman

Thank you very much for your efforts.
As I said previously, your book will be (amongst other items) my next buy.
Nice day to all.

Stu Chapman
08-19-2013, 02:11 PM
RESOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM

Following further discussion with our contacts with the Studebaker National Museum, appropriate meetings have been held and I believe we have a resolution to the ordering problems with the Museum.

Arrangements are being made with the Museum's web provider to change the system to now allow Canadian and International orders to be placed on line. This will apply to both Museum orders and Studebaker Club Store orders. Members will be able to order on line using MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover cards on a secure basis. When you place an order in this fashion the shipping charges will be applied to your credit card once they are determined. It is expected that the amended system will be in operation between September 15th and 30th. I will initiate a further post to confirm the exact date once it's known.

The Museum will not be able to offer the PayPal service at this time since apparently that organization needs to know the exact shipping charge at the time of transaction, something the Museum is currently unable to determine. This will however be reviewed at a later date.

Hopefully, this action will ensure that international orders will be handled shortly without any further difficulty. I'll be back to you soon.

Stu Chapman

avantilover
08-19-2013, 04:53 PM
That's great Stu, I just spoke to Drew VandeWielle when I sponsored the 2 Brooks Stevens prototypes. It will be great to soon be able to place orders.

Well done to all concerned.

Now to arrange a visit to see the cars sometime.

Stu Chapman
09-16-2013, 01:11 PM
STUDEBAKER NATIONAL MUSEUM INTERNATIONAL ORDERING PROBLEM NOW RESOLVED

As a follow-up to this thread and its many posts, I am able to confirm that the Studebaker National Museum website can now accept Canadian and International orders on line.

As discussed extensively in this thread, we recognize this problem has been a difficulty for non-U.S. customers in the past but the necessary steps have been taken by the Museum's website provided to bring the system up to date. So please access the Museum's website and learn about all the products available, either from the Museum or the Studebaker Store.

All's well that ends well.

Stu Chapman

christophe
09-18-2013, 03:42 AM
Thank you very much Stu.
I'll have a look at it today.
Nice day to all.

Update:
I tried several times but I always get the following message :"The transaction has been declined because of an AVS mismatch. The address provided does not match billing address of cardholder." Of course, I have typed the same address in both cases. I'll send a mail to the museum.

2moredoors
09-18-2013, 07:58 AM
STUDEBAKER NATIONAL MUSEUM INTERNATIONAL ORDERING PROBLEM NOW RESOLVED

As a follow-up to this thread and its many posts, I am able to confirm that the Studebaker National Museum website can now accept Canadian and International orders on line.

All's well that ends well.

Stu Chapman
I spoke to the museum last week and they told then they would soon finalize outside U.S.A. orders on line. Glad it is up and running

Stu Chapman
09-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Thank you very much Stu.
Nice day to all.

Update:
I tried several times but I always get the following message :"The transaction has been declined because of an AVS mismatch. The address provided does not match billing address of cardholder." Of course, I have typed the same address in both cases. I'll send a mail to the museum.

I've advised the Museum of your problem. Will keep you posted.
Stu Chapman

JimC
09-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Thank you very much Stu.
Nice day to all.

Update:
The mismatch is that the address that the credit card company has for your billing address doesn't match the billing address you've entered. Even if it's only off by a couple characters, it could be enough. Find a copy of one of your credit card statements, and fill out the billing section exactly as listed on your statement. If that is what you did, then indeed, it may be a problem with the credit card company, the museum's POS interface, or both.

Stu,

Thanks for following up on this stuff. It's great to see the Studebaker world getting cared for so well.

Stu Chapman
09-18-2013, 10:19 AM
I've advised the Museum of your problem. Will keep you posted.
Stu Chapman

As Jim Clements has stated in post #38, your address has to match exactly both for credit card address and shipping address. The Museum advises me that let's say your address is 123 ABC Road South and you enter 123 ABC Road S then the AVS could kick in. However I will further follow up regarding the Museum's POS interface.
Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
09-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Thank you very much Stu.
Nice day to all.

Update:

Please check posts 38 and 39 and then let me know if it is working ok so I can advise the Museum.
Stu Chapman

christophe
09-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Please check posts 38 and 39 and then let me know if it is working ok so I can advise the Museum.
Stu Chapman

I tried again today after resetting my address information and my payment information. Still no luck and always the same message.
I won't be connected again till next thursday, so there is no rush. Just let them know if you have the occasion to.
Nice day to all.