56 hawk horn wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 56 hawk horn wire

I have to run a new horn wire down the steering column, at the bottom of the column where the horn wire comes out does that big plug unscrew? it looks to be a 1 5/8" or 1 1/4" thanks for any help

I have a 61 Hawk so I may be wrong here but I ran the wire UP FROM THE BOTTOM through the steering column that made life a lot easier. You see what I mean...run the wire up through the small hole into the cloumn and out the top.
    Last edited by jg61hawk; 08-07-2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

That cap is your steering adjustment. Don't turn it unless you need to take some slack out of your steering wheel. If you tighten it up too much you won't be able to turn the wheel and it won't return to center when you let go of it. Ask me how I know. I'm sure other bad things will happen too if that cap is not adjusted correctly. Maybe someone with knowledge could join in on this. Good luck. Randy

Comment

If the old wire is still in place, you can hook the new wire to the old one and pull them through.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Oops I did turn it a bit but not much it was pretty hard to turn that's why I stopped the only thing is the new replacement wire they sent me has the little copper ball that goes to the horn button is attached to the wire so the only way is to go from the top an thread it down but that hole at the end is pretty tiny

Comment

Run a wire up from the bottom. Attach the new wire to it and pull it down through the column.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

thanks for the info guys iam glad I didn't crank on that adjustment to much I can always turn it back the 1/4 turn I moved it

Comment

passing the wire down the steering column was easier than I thought it would be. But after hooking the horn up it was only clicking through the relay so I took the horn off sprayed some WD-40 in the horn banged it than dumped it out now it is working like a charm

Comment

Working...
                X