Stewart-Warner Tachometer Sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Stewart-Warner Tachometer Sender

I acquired an OEM Stewart-Warner Studebaker Tachometer at a swap meet and now I need to install it in my 1959 Silver Hawk. I understand the original sending units are nonexistent, so does anyone know of a speedometer shop that can replace the "guts" of my tachometer with modern circuitry so that I can just hook it up to the coil wire. Alternatively, can anyone tell me what waveform the S-W tach needs in order to function. Thanks from a new Studebaker owner. (It is hard to believe that I have owned 51 cars and this is my first Studebaker.)

Go here http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/ to the 56J site, click on "options" then poke around in the tech info area to find where someone sent in info on converting their tach to modern electrics. (Same tach as yours.)
    Also, the sender for yours is not nonexistent, just hard to come by. I believe some years of GM cars, with Delco distributors, used the same sender, or close enough to modify. I mention that just in case you want to keep the OEM setup.

Comment

You didn't give enough information for anyone to answer. There are two different S-W tachs - the pulsemotor was used from about '55-61 and the other from about '62-64 Each requires a completely different type of sender.

And yes, I'd recommend having the early face and pointer put on a later S-W tach which does not require a sender.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Sorry for not providing enough information. I'm a new Studebaker owner and I'm just feeling my way around blindly. The tachometer I have is the old style that uses a synchronous motor to turn an eddy current pointer.

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        You didn't give enough information for anyone to answer. There are two different S-W tachs - the pulsemotor was used from about '55-61 and the other from about '62-64 Each requires a completely different type of sender.

And yes, I'd recommend having the early face and pointer put on a later S-W tach which does not require a sender.

jack vines

Comment

Then the tachometer sender and cables are out there. Most will require a rebuild, but that's mechanical and much more do-able than the electronics.
          PackardV8

Comment

Read this thread, http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...nder-installed then contact Brent Hagen, out in Oregon. He can probably help you out.

Comment

Working...
            X