1960 fuel pump installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 fuel pump installation

Having had a few Studes since 1957 I never had to replace a fuel pump. Now on a 1960 Lark wagon I need a new fuel pump. HOW do you get it into block???? I have been fighting it on and off for 5 days. The engine is a 169 CID. I am about to put an electric on it. Can anyone help??? also is there a plate available to cover the opening with ?? Thanks, Hal W

It should not be that hard really. Since the angle is bad to get good leverage to push it in compressing the Diaphragm spring. You could install temporary longer bolts to "pull it in" if you do not have enough strength to do it. Then just replace them one at a time with the correct short bolts.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by hal watson View Post
      also is there a plate available to cover the opening with ?? Thanks, Hal W
      Part number 801852 page 183 in Studebaker International's catalogue $8.50
      Cover plate.... for 6 and 8 cylinder applications.
      sigpic
      55 President Deluxe
      64 Commander
      66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

I just went through this installing a fuel pump on a 1960 Hawk. Same problem. At the
        suggestion of another member, I bumped the starter
        a couple of times to rotate the cam lobe, and finally got it where it went it without too much difficulty.

Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by hal watson View Post
          ... is there a plate available to cover the opening with ??
          A standard item applicable to a variety of manufacturers; available anyplace where car talk happens.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

With the pump off you can feel the cam lobe with your finger, turn the engine until the lobe is up and or away from the hole. Two people helps. With the cam lobe on the inside there is little or no resistence. Dave

Comment

Working...
            X