Gas leaking at carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas leaking at carb?

Started my truck this morning and just before I went to kick the high idle off,it started to run rough.attempted to give it some pedal to get past it"so I thought",and then it stalled.tried to start it again and no go,I then noticed gas on the intake,and it appears to be leaking at the carb base gasket.I have no idea really,but does a float maybe have something to do with this type problem ?any help is most thankful.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

I'd try tightening down the nuts that hold the carb onto the manifold before I dove inside.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Sounds to me like possibly a small piece of dirt is stuck in the carb float needle and seat, since you say the engine died and fuel leaked out. Try tapping on the carb body lightly near the fuel inlet, that may just dislodge it.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
        Sounds to me like possibly a small piece of dirt is stuck in the carb float needle and seat, since you say the engine died and fuel leaked out. Try tapping on the carb body lightly near the fuel inlet, that may just dislodge it.
        That trick does work, also I think an inline cartridge filter is in order Dave

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
          I'd try tightening down the nuts that hold the carb onto the manifold before I dove inside.
          Definitely give these nuts a tightening. My Commander started running rough and discovered these nuts had worked loose (maybe from vibration?). I tightened them down again and the problem cleared right up.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

ditto on the nut tightening. also check all the carb screws. last December on my 1st "long" trip in the '51 (over 100 miles) to a local SDC gathering, Joe Roberts noticed a dribble of gas coming out of the carb after she had been sitting and cooled off.

turned out dang near every exterior carb screw and the intake nuts were a bit loose. that took care of the gas leak.

i picked up a carb rebuild kit - still have a bit of a vacuum leak, and will rebuild the carb this fall - unless i give in to my desires for a "Cathcart" intake system!
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Well thanks all for input,I had checked all screws + nuts and they were all ok as is.I think as Frank and Dave said,I got a little crap from old filter"replaced with new" and did gently tap on carb in hopes of removeing any junk inside.after doing that it startedup again like it always does "so I'll keep my fingers crossed" this is the first trouble I've had with it after doing an engine swap two years ago.
              Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
              Started my truck this morning and just before I went to kick the high idle off,it started to run rough.attempted to give it some pedal to get past it"so I thought",and then it stalled.tried to start it again and no go,I then noticed gas on the intake,and it appears to be leaking at the carb base gasket.I have no idea really,but does a float maybe have something to do with this type problem ?any help is most thankful.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Joseph,
                One more thing regarding this subject. As chance would have it I just had a problem with the carb on my Champ. It started running rough, the choke would not set, and after a couple of days it would barely run and would not idle. I took it to my carb expert and he discovered that a very small flake of metal had sluffed off the inside of the carb and ended up stuck in one of the jets. He blew it out and checked the inside of the carb for signs of any more metal about to do the same. It runs like new again. Tony told me he has run into this before. He works on a lot of old carbs and says this sometimes occurs. I had never heard of this before. You might want to keep this in mind the next time you have a problem or have the carb off for rebuilding.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Joe
                  I have problems w/my wagon sometimes when I go to start my '64 w/factory 3726s AFB the float will stick. I loosen the screws at the top of the carb & use the handle of a small hammer to gently tap on the top of the carb to free the float . The carb is clean & I run 2 filters-1 out of the tank & 1 up by the carb ( SI w/decal). Good luck w/your carb problem. Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
                  X