PDA

View Full Version : Engine: 259 push rods, with or without oil passages?

Zenwren
08-05-2013, 06:19 PM
I recently ordered a couple new push rods to replace a couple bent ones I found in my '53 champion with a 59 Lark 259 engine. The ones in my engine have oil passages to pump oil up onto the rocker arms, but the ones I received from Studebaker International don't have oil passages. I'm guessing I don't want to install non-oiling push rods where oiling rods once were, but what gives? Was there a point where they changed over or has my engine somehow been converted (it was rebuilt before I got it). Does anyone have a source for oiling style push rods?

DEEPNHOCK
08-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Studebaker V8 pushrods did not have oil holes/passages in them.
I have seen Chrysler hydraulic lifters put into Stude's, but there is no need to push oil up to the rocker shafts.
The rocker shafts have their own oil supply.
Sounds like a previous rebuilder grabbed a pushrod they had in stock and substituted it instead of putting the proper pushrod in there.
Will it hurt anything?
No....Unless the O.D. of the (oil hole) pushrod is larger than the Stude pushrod. Look for rub marks where the pushrod goes through the head itself.
Will it help anything?
No.
Jeffhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/icons/icon6.png

I recently ordered a couple new push rods to replace a couple bent ones I found in my '53 champion with a 59 Lark 259 engine. The ones in my engine have oil passages to pump oil up onto the rocker arms, but the ones I received from Studebaker International don't have oil passages. I'm guessing I don't want to install non-oiling push rods where oiling rods once were, but what gives? Was there a point where they changed over or has my engine somehow been converted (it was rebuilt before I got it). Does anyone have a source for oiling style push rods?

Zenwren
08-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the reply! Are you saying it's alright to put in two non-oiling rods as the ones in there aren't actually doing anything? Where does Studebaker's oil supply come from? When I turn the oil pump over with a drill it seems like the oil is coming from out of the top of the rocker arm directly above the pushrod.

PackardV8
08-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Sounds like a previous rebuilder grabbed a pushrod they had in stock and substituted it instead of putting the proper pushrod in there.

The Stude V8 uses such an incredibly long pushrod, I can't imagine what would fit. It would almost have to be some 6-cyl, as none of the other OHV8s I know have pushrods as tall as the Stude; they're even longer than the Packard V8.

Where does Studebaker's oil supply come from? Up through the block and head.

jack vines

DEEPNHOCK
08-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Good points, but with the information the OP has given, that seems the only plausible explanation.
Pushrods can be made in any length the customers' money will pay for..
Jeffhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/icons/icon6.png

The Stude V8 uses such an incredibly long pushrod, I can't imagine what would fit. It would almost have to be some 6-cyl, as none of the other OHV8s I know have pushrods as tall as the Stude; they're even longer than the Packard V8.

Zenwren
08-05-2013, 07:06 PM
So forgive my persistence here, but this is obviously something I want to be clear on before making any decisions. If Studebaker never ran oil through their pushrods then there should make no difference if I have oil passages in some rods and not in others? I still have solid lifters. The engine looks to be a fairly fresh rebuild but I know nothing about it as the person who did the rebuild passed away according to the previous owner.

DEEPNHOCK
08-05-2013, 07:27 PM
As I said in my original reply.
No difference.
As long as the pushrod is the same length and diameter, it should work OK.
The hole is immaterial in your application. There is no mechanism for pushing oil up the pushrod tube anyways
(unless you have different lifters than the stock Stude lifters).
Even then, the oil would go where? To the top of the pushrod tube where it would splash/squirt/spray onto the rocker adjuster cup.
It would basically dead end there...
Run what you have.
Someone will probably jump in and add that there is a possibility of a harmonic issue due to different weight of components...
But that would 'probably' not be seen until very high RPM's.
RPM's that few Stude's will ever see......

So forgive my persistence here, but this is obviously something I want to be clear on before making any decisions. If Studebaker never ran oil through their pushrods then there should make no difference if I have oil passages in some rods and not in others? I still have solid lifters. The engine looks to be a fairly fresh rebuild but I know nothing about it as the person who did the rebuild passed away according to the previous owner.

Zenwren
08-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the help, we may be running this week after all!

altair
08-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the reply! Are you saying it's alright to put in two non-oiling rods as the ones in there aren't actually doing anything? Where does Studebaker's oil supply come from? When I turn the oil pump over with a drill it seems like the oil is coming from out of the top of the rocker arm directly above the pushrod.

The oil is pumped up throught the head in to the rocker tube which is hollow small delivery holes are drilled in the tube and each rocker,oil escapes from the rocker and is directed on to each valve, the residue (over spray and splash) will migrate down through the hollow tappet adjusting bolt to lubricate the top of the push rod and will run down the push rod and return to the pan. With the design as I see it, it would appear that the hollow push rods are not correct. This may be a contributing factor to your bent push rods, they may not be getting sufficient oil at the top because of the hollow tube. Do a close inspection of the top of the hollow push rod for any signs of excessive wear. Dave