No announcement yet.

You want engine swaps well here you go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You want engine swaps well here you go!

Sorry if someone else already posted this one.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

The purple makes my eyes bleed...

He's got R4 emblems on it. He might need a plaque or something telling others it's a Cadillac engine...
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Beautiful engine, Love the bubble Valve covers.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
        The purple makes my eyes bleed...

He's got R4 emblems on it. He might need a plaque or something telling others it's a Cadillac engine...

Swifster,----Look closely, and You will see that the rocker arm cover retaining screws are located along the side of the covers. Don't know if You're familiar with Studebaker V8's, (doesn't sound like it), but Stude rocker arm covers have retaining BOLTS going down through center of cover....either four (older engines) or two (later engines)

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
          Beautiful engine, Love the bubble Valve covers.
          I saw that, too.
          Interesting thing is, they apparently are still in business!
          Jeff

(copy)

HILDEBRANDT VINTAGE ALUMINUM VALVE COVERS
          FITMENT DESCRIPTION FINISH PART#
          59-86 CHEVY SMALL BLOCK Aluminum Finned Valve Covers No Breather Holes Tall PR. POLISHED VC10059-1
          55-58 CHEVY SMALL BLOCK Aluminum Finned Valve Covers No Breather Holes Offset Bolts PR. POLISHED VC10059-2
          49-59 CADILLAC V8 Aluminum Finned Valve Covers W/ Rocker Dimples PR. POLISHED VC10059-4
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Ed, I'm familiar with Studebaker V8's...
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
              Ed, I'm familiar with Studebaker V8's...
              Good to hear!....sometimes novices do get confused between the two engines.....externally, they are somewhat similar in appearance.

Comment

Not nitpicking, but some observations not mentioned in his auction ad copy...

Note the GT Hawk grill screen mounted without any trim....
                Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16h,!)kE9s4,ButeBR9fgvBEI!~~60_14.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	1683135

Is that a Golden Hawk hood blister bondo'd to the hood? (and still a hole was needed)

Name:	$(KGrHqJ,!qIFH)N6hbb6BR9fgm69ow~~60_14.JPG
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	1683136

Note the Dzus hood flyup protection system (and still the hood is typical tweaked)

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!o0FHgby-Or,BR9fh8,+JQ~~60_14.JPG
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	1683137

Did he fill in the Hawk trunk indent with steel, or just filler?

Name:	$(KGrHqN,!lsFHT6J8Ls+BR9fh!14Og~~60_14.JPG
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	1683138

Are the fender vents buried, or cut out?

Name:	$T2eC16d,!w0E9szN,FVqBR9fhQVJ-w~~60_14.JPG
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	1683139

Why a $400 steering wheel, but $200 wheels? (opinion)
                Some nice work done on this Hawk....
                Some 'different' stuff, too...
                Anything pitted was painted.
                Anything that (might/maybe/could have been) rusted has been smoothed over.
                I would at least have a close/closer look....
                Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 08-05-2013, 04:55 AM.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I think the car would look better in black and I would have left the trunk lid alone, but aside from that I like it.

Comment

Interesting...The ad says it "DRIVES STRAIGHT"...all the Hawks I ever had "drove straight"...however, with the heavy stock 259/289 V8...they were never known as "nimble" in the curves. I'll admit, I'm not familiar with the 390 Cadillac engine, but if it is as heavy as I suspect...driving straight wouldn't be impressive. I'd want to know how it handles the turns!

I like hot rods and enjoy looking at the various concepts by different builders. However, they are always very subjective and highly personalized creations. I am always suspicious of how anyone can put so much money, time, and hard work on one, and then...sell it off. Except for the few who truly enjoy "the build" more than the results, and the "flippers," I suspect that most lose money, and the finished product performs less than expectations.

That vintage Cadillac engine is OK, although probably more expensive to build and maintain than a belly button Chevy SB. There was a period when I don't think even Cadillac was proud of their engines, but that seems to have turned around as of late.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I think it is a pretty neat car. I would definitely spend some time looking it over at a car show. He states he is only the third owner and that it was originally completed/restored in 2000, 13 years ago. So it does not seem he is one to finish and sell or "flip" this car. Since it has been on the road that long, most flaws would have shown up by now and a careful inspection would find them. Having the Cadillac motor follows a long standing, and often revered, engine swap practice. I think it would be a fun car to have, if you can stand the purple.
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I am seeing a lot more variation of engines in street rods finally. Although the SBC is the dominate choice, it is good to see nailhead Buicks, early Olds Pontiacs, Cadillacs, and early Hemis showing up. Yes a SBC is cheaper but a lot less interesting when cruising around the shows. Unless a car has some other redeeming features, if it has a SBC I move on by, nothing to see here folks.
                        Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        58 C Cab
                        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

There was a period when I don't think even Cadillac was proud of their engines, but that seems to have turned around as of late.[/QUOTE]

That's true, but this Cadillac engine is definitely not one of THOSE!!

Comment

Guys!

If you are going with the dual master cylinder use the right fittings..

This used adapters on adapters to 3/16 inverse is, well, shutter!..

Save weight and use the proper fitting with the 3/16 center

Willwood 220-5247 and 220-5248

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                              Guys!

If you are going with the dual master cylinder use the right fittings..

This used adapters on adapters to 3/16 inverse is, well, shutter!..

Save weight and use the proper fitting with the 3/16 center

Willwood 220-5247 and 220-5248
                              Errr,......I think this info might belong in another thread? (Not that it isn't entertaining!)

Comment

Working...
                              X