Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avanti Power Steering: Disconnecting Reach Rod from Bell Crank ('Still a Newbie!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Avanti Power Steering: Disconnecting Reach Rod from Bell Crank ('Still a Newbie!)

I haven't posted to the forum in quite a while (mostly from embarrassment I guess). Avanti No 63R1483 ('Ava') has been on jack stands in my garage for quite a while now. Two summers ago y'all helped me a lot with replacing the fuel pump. Thanks again!

Now I'm into the deepest darkest parts of the jungle, I mean the power steering. Trying to remove components to have them rebuilt. Reservoir and pump? Removed and rebuilt by Jon Myers. Control valve? Not so easy. First removing recalcitrant starter. Finally! Then a broken cotter pin at the reach rod/bell crank connection. Finally out and castle nut removed.

Now... separating the reach rod from the bell crank (I haven't even gotten to the pitman arm yet (!) Banging the side of the knuckle with hammer? NG. Pickle fork? I get the two parts a little apart, but they haven't separated. What next? I'm all ears! (At this rate I will have Ava in running condition to celebrate my 110th birthday...)

- Marty
    [SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    63R1483

Not sure what you mean by "a little apart". It is a tapered fit and it's either together or apart, kinda like no such thing as "a little bit pregnant". Can you support the bellcrank with a bottle jack, turn the nut upside down with a little thread showing and give it a shot with an air hammer (use a brass or aluminum block to prevent damage)? That's what I would try, you'll have to turn everything into a position where you can reach it with an air hammer. Air hammer is an old guy's best friend.....

Comment

It may be a little late to tell you now, but maybe you could still put it all back together?

All of this is VERY hard work, removing a Pitman arm from a Steering Gear is next to impossible, I have broken Pitman Arm Pullers trying!

Do you have the Shop manual? In there it explains a very easy way to replace the 2 little seals in the Control Valve by just removing the end Cap, pulling the spool valve out and resealing it...ON the Car.

Before I would ship it away, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, I would pay a Mechanic with '60's Ford experience to do the job on the car before you ruin something.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        It may be a little late to tell you now, but maybe you could still put it all back together?

All of this is VERY hard work, removing a Pitman arm from a Steering Gear is next to impossible, I have broken Pitman Arm Pullers trying!

Do you have the Shop manual? In there it explains a very easy way to replace the 2 little seals in the Control Valve by just removing the end Cap, pulling the spool valve out and resealing it...ON the Car.

Before I would ship it away, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, I would pay a Mechanic with '60's Ford experience to do the job on the car before you ruin something.
        Thanks for this suggestion - I am very interested in your idea. I have the shop manual and the parts manual - I didn't realize I could do this on the car. Let me look into this - and thanks again!
        [SIGPIC]
        Milwaukee, Wisconsin
        63R1483

Comment

Rich is correct. I'm no pro and have done three or four cars this way. It's messy, but not difficult. Some thoughts: (1) The fluid is all gonna drain out. Have a tub handy. (2) Keep all parts spotlessly clean. (3) As you remove a part, lay it on clean newspaper, in order and PROPERLY ORIENTED. The way things point makes a big difference. (4) Lube everything with A/T fluid when re-installing. (5) Only two items can be damaged: the two little rubber cups. Be very careful when installing -- don't jam them in with a screwdriver.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            Rich is correct. I'm no pro and have done three or four cars this way. It's messy, but not difficult. Some thoughts: (1) The fluid is all gonna drain out. Have a tub handy. (2) Keep all parts spotlessly clean. (3) As you remove a part, lay it on clean newspaper, in order and PROPERLY ORIENTED. The way things point makes a big difference. (4) Lube everything with A/T fluid when re-installing. (5) Only two items can be damaged: the two little rubber cups. Be very careful when installing -- don't jam them in with a screwdriver.
            Thanks, Skip. I know I have some hoses to replace as well, but this sounds like a good way to proceed.
            [SIGPIC]
            Milwaukee, Wisconsin
            63R1483

Comment

Working...
            X