Interesting Link w/ Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Link w/ Studebakers

Larry Swanson told us in the editors meeting at South Bend that anything published is automatically copyrighted. If I understood him correctly, [u]everything</u> is copyrighted!

If that is true, I posted that picture of the Lark wagon on this forum before the NY Times, so I can sue them for violating my copyright! [:0]

Leonard Shepherd

Larry Swanson told us in the editors meeting at South Bend that anything published is automatically copyrighted. If I understood him correctly, [u]everything</u> is copyrighted!

If that is true, I posted that picture of the Lark wagon on this forum before the NY Times, so I can sue them for violating my copyright! [:0]

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Interesting Link w/ Studebakers

This page includes a link to Famous Studebakers.

The "Famous Studebakers" are all brochure pictures most of us have seen many times, but it distinctly says "Copyright 2007 New York Times" below each of them. Perhaps some legal beagle on the forum can explain how a contemporary entity can copyright something that was prepared and published by a now-defunct automobile manufacturer and distributed free in scores of thousands of showroom brochures 50 years ago... [}]

(Note to Bob Shaw: Please delete this thread if I've violated any copyright laws!)

Interesting link nonetheless. [Now that we've settled who had the first muscle car ([:0][^][xx(]), we can discuss who had the first SUV, per this link's suggested claim for the Travelall...are they forgetting the pre-WWII Suburban?] We're off! BP

Collectible Cars, Classic Cars, Hot Rods, Sports Cars, Antique Cars, Custom Cars - New York Times articles, multimedia and special features.
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Go for it, Leonard! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Go for it, Leonard! BP

Comment

While the old brochure the photos came from is probably no longer copyright protected, the specific digital scans of the pics in the slideshow, the web page (even if it only shows a photo) and the posting of those images to the page are subject to copyright protection. Someone at the Times scanned and put 'em on the web page so their work is protected.

So, if you copy and use their photo scans, you've violated their copyright. If you have a brochure and make/use your own scans, you are probably not in trouble (depending if the original copyright owner of the brochure itself is still asserting his/her rights).

Merely posting a link to copyrighted material such as Mr. Palma has done is NOT a violation and that is my recommendation for bringing such items to the forum's attention.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
            Woodbury, Minnesota
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota
            1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
            "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

While the old brochure the photos came from is probably no longer copyright protected, the specific digital scans of the pics in the slideshow, the web page (even if it only shows a photo) and the posting of those images to the page are subject to copyright protection. Someone at the Times scanned and put 'em on the web page so their work is protected.

So, if you copy and use their photo scans, you've violated their copyright. If you have a brochure and make/use your own scans, you are probably not in trouble (depending if the original copyright owner of the brochure itself is still asserting his/her rights).

Merely posting a link to copyrighted material such as Mr. Palma has done is NOT a violation and that is my recommendation for bringing such items to the forum's attention.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
              Woodbury, Minnesota
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota
              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

The Red-Headed Amazon
                Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                  "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                    [Now that we've settled who had the first muscle car ([:0][^][xx(]), we can discuss who had the first SUV, per this link's suggested claim for the Travelall...are they forgetting the pre-WWII Suburban?] We're off! BP
                    Bob,

Having owned a Willys station wagon, I know that they appeared long before IH ever had an inkling of producing the Travelall (or it's S series predecessor).

Gary

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                      [Now that we've settled who had the first muscle car ([:0][^][xx(]), we can discuss who had the first SUV, per this link's suggested claim for the Travelall...are they forgetting the pre-WWII Suburban?] We're off! BP
                      Bob,

Having owned a Willys station wagon, I know that they appeared long before IH ever had an inkling of producing the Travelall (or it's S series predecessor).

Gary

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido
                        Bob,

Gary
                        Watch your snail mail, Gary . (You may scan and post the contents if you like; I don't have scanner capabilities up & running.) BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido
                          Bob,

Gary
                          Watch your snail mail, Gary . (You may scan and post the contents if you like; I don't have scanner capabilities up & running.) BP

Comment

How would anybody know if you copied their scan of an old brochure picture or simply scanned an orginal brochure yourself?

Joe Roberts
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

How would anybody know if you copied their scan of an old brochure picture or simply scanned an orginal brochure yourself?

Joe Roberts
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X