R1/R2 bare block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1/R2 bare block

I am looking for the above hopefully located in the middle Atlantic area. Would appreciate a solid lead.
    ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Ed, unless you want a block stamped with R-engine numbers for some reason, a bare block for a full-flow 259 and a bare block for an R2, before any machining, are the same thing. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, I have a pile of R1 parts (manifolds, heads etc ) in search of a block. Ed
      ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Just to update us all, since there is no functional difference between any of the full flow blocks, how much more, if any, would we estimate the open market pay for an R-serial number block versus "V" or "P" block?

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          Just to update us all, since there is no functional difference between any of the full flow blocks, how much more, if any, would we estimate the open market pay for an R-serial number block versus "V" or "P" block?

jack vines
          The 'extra value' would really only be to someone who owns the Studebaker Avanti that that 'R' engine block originally came out of. "A documented car"

Comment

Agree, if one is going to keep and drive the car oneself, the block serial number is immaterial. However, when time to sell, it's a different logic at work.

To add to this, never, ever believe the serial number has anything to do with what's inside a block. Unless the builder is known to you personally, it's hearsay and don't pay for what you can't verify:

1. I bought a "P" 289" engine, even looked down the spark plug hole to verify it had the correct 289" dished pistons. Turned out to have a 259" crank. That made it worth only half what I paid for it.

2. A friend bought an R2 Avanti. Inside the RS block was stock 259" internals. That made the car worth a third less than what he paid for it.

3. I built an R2 engine for a guy a few years back using a "V" block, but all new R2 internals. Recently, he told me, "I should have paid whatever it cost to get a RS block. Potential buyers can't see the good work and parts, but most want to see an RS serial number."

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

I recall that in the '70's Standard Surplus was selling "Avanti" rebuild "Kits" which were a NOS; 259 Crank, 259 Pistons, Rings, Rods, Mains, Gasket Set, Oil Pump Kit and Cam Bearings! Jacks #2 could be one.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                Agree, if one is going to keep and drive the car oneself, the block serial number is immaterial. However, when time to sell, it's a different logic at work.

3. I built an R2 engine for a guy a few years back using a "V" block, but all new R2 internals. Recently, he told me, "I should have paid whatever it cost to get a RS block. Potential buyers can't see the good work and parts, but most want to see an RS serial number."

jack vines

Jack, your buddy hit the nail right on the head.....ed
                ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

i'm pretty sure you could go over to the Corvette forum with your predicament and you'd get several PM's shortly to supply any letter/numbers on your block you would want!

Disclaimer: folks, that is a joke!!! i'm sure all those "matching numbers" Corvettes are correct!!!
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    I recall that in the '70's Standard Surplus was selling "Avanti" rebuild "Kits" which were a NOS; 259 Crank, 259 Pistons, Rings, Rods, Mains, Gasket Set, Oil Pump Kit and Cam Bearings! Jacks #2 could be one.
                    If memory serves Me, Standard Surplus was always very clear as to what they had for sale, and exactly what they were selling You.....They very well could have sold an Avanti engine rebuild kit that included 259CI parts....after the supply of 289CI parts ran out.......but they certainly would have stated that fact (kit contains 259 parts) in their catalog.

Comment

There was one posted up here a while back that was on ebay, wonder if it's still for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                        i'm pretty sure you could go over to the Corvette forum with your predicament and you'd get several PM's shortly to supply any letter/numbers on your block you would want!

Disclaimer: folks, that is a joke!!! i'm sure all those "matching numbers" Corvettes are correct!!!

There's some real artists out there when it comes to re-stamping a block.
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I have an old N&A catalog with NOS 232 short blocks listed. Right on the ad it states that the engine is a "suitable replacement for Avanti engines".

A friend recently bought a rebuilt R2 engine. He wouldn't have bought it if the block didn't have the RS engine number.

Comment

When I'm building a performance engine for myself, I always use an older partial flow block. I know they work fine and I can save the full-flow blocks for those who'll pay several hundred dollars extra for one.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Or get a factory replacement engine that doesn't have numbers on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X