PDA

View Full Version : Frame/Springs Avanti Leaf Spring liners

AnAvanti4Bob
08-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Howdy All - my 1963 Avanti R-1 was in the muffler shop on a hoist yesterday and I noticed that when the suspension was fully extended that the ends of the (smaller/lower) rear leaf springs "opened up" and some of the liner fell out as it was dried up. I searched for leaf spring liners on this site and didn't really find the answers for what I was looking. I couldn't really see if the springs had liners the length of the leaves or not, but I am all about being a good steward for my Avanti as I realize that I am only a temporary caretaker. I have not noticed any odd "working" noises from the rear suspension and the car tracks well on the road. My Avanti had a frame off restoration in 1998, but I have no clue if the leaf springs were relined. I did note that several of our vendors sell liners, but the items and selection offered are rather cryptic to me When does one know if it is time to reline the springs? What are the symptoms of needing new liners? Who does this type of work (besides me!)? What is the necessity for liners? What liner parts are needed for a complete reline? Any other things to do while in the general area of the springs? I am waiting for my education in a spring technology with which I am totally unfamiliar and my thanks in advance are proffered. Cheers, Bob

Alan
08-02-2013, 04:04 PM
They are about 2" in diam. Black and have a hex face that slides across the spring above to keep the dog ear from gouging it.

SN-60
08-02-2013, 04:16 PM
As Alan said. Also, I always thought the liners added a bit of 'fluidity' between the metal-to-metal spring leaves.

AnAvanti4Bob
08-02-2013, 04:41 PM
They are about 2" in diam. Black and have a hex face that slides across the spring above to keep the dog ear from gouging it.

Thanks and now I am lost - what is a "dog ear" on a spring? I noted on SI page that there is a black hex piece, but have no clue where it goes. The dried piece that fell out was at the end of the smaller leaf (the one next to the bottom leaf) - Bob

SN-60
08-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks and now I am lost - what is a "dog ear" on a spring? I noted on SI page that there is a black hex piece, but have no clue where it goes. The dried piece that fell out was at the end of the smaller leaf (the one next to the bottom leaf) - Bob

The 'dog ear' would be the end (tip) of the spring leaf.....and there should be a shallow area about 1" in that sort of 'holds' the hex piece in place.

AnAvanti4Bob
08-02-2013, 05:37 PM
The 'dog ear' would be the end (tip) of the spring leaf.....and there should be a shallow area about 1" in that sort of 'holds' the hex piece in place.

Thanks for the clarification. So to insert the hex piece, the leaf spring is put onto a lift and when the dog ear is "opened" place the hex piece in place and lower the car? How many are need per leaf/spring?

SN-60
08-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the clarification. So to insert the hex piece, the leaf spring is put onto a lift and when the dog ear is "opened" place the hex piece in place and lower the car? How many are need per leaf/spring?

That's it! On a five leaf spring You'd need eight. Two per leaf.....none on the main leaf.