Can you swap out tail shafts, on a T86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Can you swap out tail shafts, on a T86

I found a few seals on trannys One which was a very good deal that comes with a bunch of extra stuff, but it's a long tail out of a lark, the other is a T86 that came out of a 53 commander, seems like a good deal but doesn't with all the stuff that the other one does. mostly wondering if I bought a long tail trans could I swap out tail shafts so I wouldn't have to fight my drive shaft. Having a just that part shipped would be easier and cheaper than shippng a whole trans. Figure this would be easy to answer for most of you but I really wasn't sure.

Shortening a shaft is cake. Probably less than $60. I've had complete driveshafts fabricated when I've supplied the yokes for less than $100.

I've put a long tail with overdrive in a '52 Champion and a short tail in a '63 Cruiser. Just verify your solenoid voltage and have a local machine shop fit an appropriate drive shaft.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      Shortening a shaft is cake. Probably less than $60. I've had complete driveshafts fabricated when I've supplied the yokes for less than $100.

I've put a long tail with overdrive in a '52 Champion and a short tail in a '63 Cruiser. Just verify your solenoid voltage and have a local machine shop fit an appropriate drive shaft.
      Is it really that easy? I figured having a drive shaft shortened would be super spendy. I kind of like the idea of having a trans that was meant to go in the way it does, but if it is cheap enough to just shorten a drive shaft. What do you mean by verify my solenoid voltage?

Comment

Older solenoids are 6V, newer are 12V. Get the wrong one and it might work but will fail sooner or later. Probably sooner. Just get one to match your car.

Comment

Originally posted by nvonada View Post
          Older solenoids are 6V, newer are 12V. Get the wrong one and it might work but will fail sooner or later. Probably sooner. Just get one to match your car.
          OIh yeah, I get what he meant now. All the wiring is gutted out of my car so'm starting fresh with a 12 volt system.

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
            OIh yeah, I get what he meant now. All the wiring is gutted out of my car so'm starting fresh with a 12 volt system.
            Just watch the o.d. if You go to a one-piece drivehaft. As I discussed with warlaw1, You will have a trans tunnel clearance issue on Your '53 coupe if the driveshaft's o.d. is too big. Good luck!

Comment

While long and short tail shaft t-86 transmissions share many parts, all of the housings, along with the main shafts, are not interchangeable. Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Jerry...
                I have a low mileage '63 Lark OD t86 and a high mileage OD Speedster T86. The speedster is under restore. I was told in another post that I can transfer the innards of the low mileage long tail OD directly to the short tail Speedster OD Case keeping the short case main shaft. And, use the low mileage T86 now with the case only from the high mileage transmission.

Do you agree?

Merlin

Comment

The short answer is yes, however there are several parts that do not interchange that are only slightly different so it's easy to get in trouble. Just because a trans is higher mileage does not mean it's in better condition. Remove the cover and inspect the low-reverse slider for chipped or worn teeth. If there is no dirt or rust and there is some lubricant so the bearings aren't dry, the trans section should be OK. In the OD the sun gear needs to be inspected. Remove as per manual and make sure the three gears are tight. Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Thanks Jerry... that reads a definite maybe. The Lark only has 23,000 miles on and the transmission is tight. The Speedster could have been to the moon and back. I'm always game for an adventure so in a month or so I'll open them up and see what happens.

Comment

I just went through this with a broken long shaft O/D transmission and a 56 T-86. The inside parts matched up and worked perfectly, but these were overdrive transmissions and the tail shaft is two pieces. I'm not sure about the non-overdrive transmissions.
                      Jamie McLeod
                      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                      1958 Commander "Christine"
                      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                      1955 Commander Sedan
                      1964 Champ
                      1960 Lark

Comment

Working...
                      X