"Special" Body Tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Special" Body Tag

Ernie Loga has a nice 61 Lark advertised on Ebay right now. Attached to the body tag is a second tag with the word "special" on it. My hawk has a 4-speed tag attached to its body tag but I have never seen the special one. I asked Ernie and he did not know. I expect someone on the forum will know the answer.

The question is, "what did the "special" tag represent???

Thanks
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Hard to tell without seeing the build sheet, but possibly the rocker panel trim could have been added at the factory.

Craig

Comment

OK, Milt, I just got done scouring my big 1961 Lark Fleet Line catalog and assorted special materials that were sent in a pocketed 8 1/2 X 11 folder to potential fleet buyers.

The only thing that jumps out about Special is Special non-stock paint color.

The subject car does appear to have a non-1961 stock paint color, in that it is a metallic that looks more like 1962 Metallic Green than 1961 Jade Green, which was not metallic. The car is a fairly high serial number, so maybe it was to be painted an up-coming 1962 color.

That's a stretch and I don't really believe it, but that's the best I can do. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        The only thing that jumps out about Special is Special non-stock paint color.

The subject car does appear to have a non-1961 stock paint color, in that it is a metallic that looks more like 1962 Metallic Green than 1961 Jade Green, which was not metallic. The car is a fairly high serial number, so maybe it was to be painted an up-coming 1962 color.
        I somehow thought of that, too, but then I see the standard (and rather common for '61) Green Jade shows up on the firewall, door jambs, trunk, etc.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          I somehow thought of that, too, but then I see the standard (and rather common for '61) Green Jade shows up on the firewall, door jambs, trunk, etc. Craig
          Good point, Craig; you're right. The Build Order probably specifies Jade Green...or Green Jade, depending on the source! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was thinking it was for the special, high output motor

Comment

I've never seen a tag that said "special" on it, although I've that one tag from a '64 that reads "SPEC QTR" that we've never (that I've seen) determined the implication of. I've also told of coming across a 6cyl 61 4dr that had a simple "G" secondary tag. Anyone wanna hazard a guess on that one?
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well since we probably never will know for sure Bob, I'll take a guess, the "G" could stand for the first GREEN '61?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The most interesting body tag I saw was on a Stude sitting in a shed, 27 years ago up in Hastings, Nebraska. It was the body tag itself, and not an attached one. It simply said, "SHOW JOB". (It was the Hurley Hawk.)

Comment

Thanks all
                    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                    1961 Hawk 4-speed
                    1967 Avanti
                    1961 Lark 2 door
                    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

'Streamers' are cool!

Comment

I think the rocker panel trim came as a part of the Regal package. Maybe it was built to a high quality finish for promotional use somewhere?
                        Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        Hard to tell without seeing the build sheet, but possibly the rocker panel trim could have been added at the factory.

Craig

Comment

I wonder if the "SPECIAL" streamer could have been used if the Factory installed certain accessories rather than the Dealer? The subject Lark has the neat "Lark in flight" hood ornament and a pair of correct side view mirrors.

Comment

Has anyone ever seen the streamer (I have one) that says "C3 TWO TONE"?
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                              Has anyone ever seen the streamer (I have one) that says "C3 TWO TONE"?
                              I have seen a few 'TWO TONE' streamers without any body style/trim level prefix.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X