Dana 44, swapping yokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Dana 44, swapping yokes

I've got a Dana 44 TwinTrac to go into my truck, it come out of a V8, mine is a six, so I need to swap the yokes. Can I just swap them or will it impact the pinion depth or something?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

I did a gear swap in my Sunbeam Tiger (also a Dana 44) years ago. My recollection was that the pinion depth shims were on back side of the internal bearing. So, I don't think that pinion depth will be affected. However, there might be a bearing pre-load issue. So, I would wait until you get a definitive answer.
    Tom
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Follow the shop manual and torque the pinion nut to the required torque. The bearing preload is set by the pinion nut torque, the pinion depth is adjusted with shims under the pinion bearing. Some later Dana 44 use a crush sleeve to set the preload but not on our studies.
      I'd replace the pinion seal also.
      The
      Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
      I've got a Dana 44 TwinTrac to go into my truck, it come out of a V8, mine is a six, so I need to swap the yokes. Can I just swap them or will it impact the pinion depth or something?

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Can someone explain the parts in the chassis parts book on the diagram of the differential numbered 1005-36 and 1005-71? According to their description there must be two adjustments made with shims for the pinion. One for the locations of the pinion in relationship to the ring and one for a bearing preload. Am I interpreting this diagram right? Len.

Comment

Correct.
          The shims in between the pinion gear and the rear pinion bearing are to set the tooth properly (fore/aft) into the ring gear.
          The shims in between the two bearings are to set the tapered bearing roller adjustment.
          Some diff's use a crush sleeve. Depends on the MFR and their procedure.
          Since you are not changing the relationship between the gears, or changing the relationship between the bearings, you should be all right as long as you torque it properly and to the correct torque spec.
          HTIH
          Jeff

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
          Can someone explain the parts in the chassis parts book on the diagram of the differential numbered 1005-36 and 1005-71? According to their description there must be two adjustments made with shims for the pinion. One for the locations of the pinion in relationship to the ring and one for a bearing preload. Am I interpreting this diagram right? Len.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

No crush sleeve is there, and I guess that is where I started loosing confidence I'd have a problem.

So in synopsis, a few thousandths difference in the relationship of the back of the yoke and where the nut torques on won't have any effect as long as it is torques correctly. Right?

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            Correct.
            The shims in between the pinion gear and the rear pinion bearing are to set the tooth properly (fore/aft) into the ring gear.
            The shims in between the two bearings are to set the tapered bearing roller adjustment.
            Some diff's use a crush sleeve. Depends on the MFR and their procedure.
            Since you are not changing the relationship between the gears, or changing the relationship between the bearings, you should be all right as long as you torque it properly and to the correct torque spec.
            HTIH
            Jeff
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
            X