What wiper-motor fits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: What wiper-motor fits?

Of all the stuff that's needed to be changed when I'm going for 12-volt on my -55 sedan I'm now at the wiper-motor, & the old one is stuck bigtime...

So if I can't get a Studebaker one I kinda wonder if anyone knows of any other brand that might work?

(I've heard that sedans & coupes has different ones (?) & that limits it down to 56 sedans to early Larks 'cause of the wrap-around windscreen & "they don't grow on trees" here in Europe, especially not on scrap-yards...)

& now that I think about it; wasn't there a thread earlier like this...? something japcrap that almost had the same fittings & such?

I don't know if this will work for you but I Used dodge omni motor it mounted right on the studebaker housing
    cost new 39.00 at caqrquest. The car I used it on was a 1953 c coupe..Hope this helps..if you can find the right threads
    there was a lot of them on this subject and I believe a subaru motor and some other will work..good luck joe 53 stude mod

Comment

Most all will fit.
      I just wen't thru the same excersize on my 54. The only differtence in the later 12volt assemblies I noticed, is that the motor is at a slight angle rather thAn straight across. It fits just fine.
      Any Lark, Hawk..all fit.

I've seen notes about the Dodge motor but haven't actually checked that for sure.

Mike

Comment

I replaced the 6 volt unit on my '55 with another one from a '56 pickup that we had lying around. I was converting to 12 volts on a vehicle that was formerly a parts car, and the 6 volt wiper motor had lonnnggg since bit the dust. When the nylon gear in the 12 volt motor stripped out, I replaced that one with one, that I bought at the South Bend May meet, that I think came from a Lark. There's really nothing to it, about replacing it with a 12 volt motor, whether it be Lark, Hawk, or truck, except I had to enlarge the hole a bit where the motor shaft pokes through on the firewall.
        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by 53 stude mod View Post
          I don't know if this will work for you but I Used dodge omni motor it mounted right on the studebaker housing
          cost new 39.00 at caqrquest. The car I used it on was a 1953 c coupe..Hope this helps..if you can find the right threads
          there was a lot of them on this subject and I believe a subaru motor and some other will work..good luck joe 53 stude mod
          I just looked up 1978-1990 Omni wiper motors on AutoZone.com. Looks like it sticks through the firewall from inside to outside, and the part that sticks outside is the anchor the wiper affixes to. Stude motors stick from the outside in, and connect to linkage that drives both wipers simultaneously. Are you saying you made it fit on a Stude, from the outside in, to drive both wipers at the same time? Can you provide the details of how you accomplished it?
          Thanks
          Last edited by JoeHall; 08-01-2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I have one out of a 59 Lark in my 51.

Comment

Here is what I did. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ement-w-Subaru

Read all as I added more later in the thread.

Comment

I don't know how to post a photo but I will try to explain what I did. I used only the actually omni motor and it mounted
                on the studebaker bracket that looks like a v with 3 holes to bolt it to the firewall it was a simple thing to do and looked a lot like the
                studebaker motor. It was just the motor itself and attached to the studebaker unit..sorry I can't explain it better...53 stude mod

Comment

Originally posted by 53 stude mod View Post
                  I don't know how to post a photo but I will try to explain what I did. I used only the actually omni motor and it mounted
                  on the studebaker bracket that looks like a v with 3 holes to bolt it to the firewall it was a simple thing to do and looked a lot like the
                  studebaker motor. It was just the motor itself and attached to the studebaker unit..sorry I can't explain it better...53 stude mod
                  Remember that the only function of the wiper motor is to go roundy-round in the correct direction. The issues are mounting the motor and attaching the linkage to the motor shaft. So there are possibly any number that will work.

The posts on the forum will help as they are trod ground but if you have something that you think will work, set it in place and see what you have.

I used a late Camaro motor on my 54 by attaching the 54 linkage to the Camaro motor. With the 98 Camaro column it gives me park, variable speed and the ability to use the stock Camaro column controls.

My 74 Avanti will use a 94 Camaro motor so I can use the GM wiper/ cruise control switch on the Avanti Column. And it just looks a lot better than the older style units.

You just never know what will fit until you look. The newer units give a lot of advantages if you what to adapt them.

Bob
                  Last edited by sweetolbob; 08-02-2013, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X