PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: Hate to ask...........but I will anyway:-)

Hawklover
08-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Anyone out there in Studebaker land have a car with a four speed?

If so, any chance of posting a picture of the back-up lamp switch and its wires on the actual car?

I felt exceedingly brave today, hence my question:-)

Many thanks

warrlaw1
08-01-2013, 12:34 PM
I happen to have one (T10 from a 61 Hawk) sitting ready to go into my car with a new back up lamp switch. My computer won't let me post pictures here, anymore. I'll try again on the week-end.

Hawklover
08-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Many thanks Perry, Della always said you were tops!
I happen to have one (T10 from a 61 Hawk) sitting ready to go into my car with a new back up lamp switch. My computer won't let me post pictures here, anymore. I'll try again on the week-end.

StudeRich
08-02-2013, 01:36 AM
Just treat those switches GENTLY! After the Corvette crowd had them reproduced, the prices have gone through the roof. :(

SN-60
08-02-2013, 09:18 AM

Dave,...You're installing a four speed in Your '55? That interests Me. You'll probably use a one-piece driveshaft, and chop the crossmember? I installed a 'long tail' flightomatic in a '55 coupe once. and had issues (clearance) with the driveshaft tunnel. Finally found a 'six cylinder' (I believe) driveshaft that cured the problem. (it had a smaller diameter tube than the V8 Hawk type)

warrlaw1
08-02-2013, 10:04 AM
This one came from an SDC member (Bob Barrick) and he gave me everything: tranny, bell housing, the boots, the cross member, the drive shaft, the starter, the new back up switch, both shifters (bucket and bench seats), the pedals and more. Apparently it came new in a 61 Hawk for a doctor's wife. She wanted an Auto, so he swapped everything out and now I have everything to swap mine from an auto to 4 speed. It will have to be over the winter because they didn't offer a 4spd in 55 and I'm still hoping to do the PSMCDRs in September as a stock 55. Cheers.

Gold Hawk Doug
08-02-2013, 10:19 AM
I have a four speed in my '57 Hawk. Came that way to me. If you can wait for a little while 'Till I get out to the shop, I'll take a pic, or two, and post it up for you.

Its a very clean install, one piece shaft, and all, and is a tremendous amount of fun!

Doug

SN-60
08-02-2013, 10:26 AM
This one came from an SDC member (Bob Barrick) and he gave me everything: tranny, bell housing, the boots, the cross member, the drive shaft, the starter, the new back up switch, both shifters (bucket and bench seats), the pedals and more. Apparently it came new in a 61 Hawk for a doctor's wife. She wanted an Auto, so he swapped everything out and now I have everything to swap mine from an auto to 4 speed. It will have to be over the winter because they didn't offer a 4spd in 55 and I'm still hoping to do the PSMCDRs in September as a stock 55. Cheers.

That sounds GREAT Dave....But the '61 Hawk four speed driveshaft 'RED FLAGS' this install.... driveshaft tube diameter never got any larger than on those '61's....and there will DEFINITELY be a clearance issue with that '55 tunnel. (Just a friendly 'Heads Up') Good luck with this!

SN-60
08-02-2013, 10:33 AM
I have a four speed in my '57 Hawk. Came that way to me. If you can wait for a little while 'Till I get out to the shop, I'll take a pic, or two, and post it up for you.

Its a very clean install, one piece shaft, and all, and is a tremendous amount of fun!

Doug

Definitely post pics!....And yes, four speed trannys in these Studes (with a quality floor shifter) are a blast!!

warrlaw1
08-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Noted, SN60. This car has been a labour of love. Two steps forward, one step back. Each little upgrade is like getting a new toy. By the time I retire (and can't expense anymore), it should be perfect (lol).