Speedo head making noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Speedo head making noise

The speedo head in my 1949 2R5 has always made noise and has an erratic needle so I've had it disconnected. Since I finally got my OD working I want the speedo working too. Read many of the posts but haven't seen anyone do their own rebuild. Did I miss them or is it too big a deal? I like challenges.

Did you try lubing the speedo? On the top of the speedometer right above where the cable attaches there is a little hole which is probably covered by a swinging cover. Open that up and put a couple drops of light machine oil in the hole. Usually that is all they need. The only tricky part is getting the oil in the hole.

Nathan

Comment

That little hole on top was caked with dirt. Decided to pull out the head which is rather simple to do. Inside was really caked with grease, dirt and whatever. I gently disassembled it (should have taken pics) and put various pieces in ultrasonic cleaner. Looking much better. We'll see how it works out but there was no obvious problems other than dirt. Gears all look fine. Magnet piece was weighted on one side with gunk and worm gear was solid with old oil and grease.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitman View Post
        That little hole on top was caked with dirt. Decided to pull out the head which is rather simple to do. Inside was really caked with grease, dirt and whatever. I gently disassembled it (should have taken pics) and put various pieces in ultrasonic cleaner. Looking much better. We'll see how it works out but there was no obvious problems other than dirt. Gears all look fine. Magnet piece was weighted on one side with gunk and worm gear was solid with old oil and grease.
        I'll bet it will work perfect now!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          I'll bet it will work perfect now!
          I bet so too--- for about 100 miles. When the shaft & bushing are worn enough to make a chattering sound, it is usually too late. However, the oil will take up the slop for a few miles, then the chatter will return.
          I have never worked on a truck like yours, but I know the above is true for Hawk speedos.

Comment

Which bushing and shaft?

Comment

Originally posted by Bitman View Post
              Which bushing and shaft?
              Where the speedo cable connects to the backside, the cable core fits into a shaft and spins it. That shaft passes through a bushing. When run dry for too many years, the shaft & bushing wallow out, to where it will begin to chatter, and also cause the needle to become erratic. If not chattering, and only an erratic needle, oil will usually fix it. However, adding oil now that the shaft & bushing are chattering, is probably too little-too late. But, as mentioned its a temp fix, about 100 miles.

At least that has been my experience on Hawk speedos. I am assuming (and we know what happens when assuming) that it is the same principle setup on your truck.
              Last edited by JoeHall; 08-01-2013, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                At least that has been my experience on Hawk speedos. I am assuming (and we know what happens when assuming) that it is the same principle setup on your truck.
                Thank you so much for the explanation. Makes perfect sense.

On my unit the shaft and gear that comes off at a right angle to the shaft you mention was caked hard as was the shaft and gear it drives. I'm hoping that was causing my problem as it seemed unlikely that the two were meshing.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next hundred miles or so. If the problem comes back is it possible to get it rebuilt with new shaft and bushing?

Comment

Working...
                X