Paint on a '62 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint on a '62 Hawk

What kind of paint came from the factory on a '62 Hawk?......Acrylic Enamel, or Acrylic Lacquer?...(or neither?)

Karl

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

RUST - O - LEUM

Just being a smart a**

Here is a picture from the 62 Studebaker Fact Book.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

RUST - O - LEUM

Just being a smart a**

Here is a picture from the 62 Studebaker Fact Book.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Baked enamel, much like the old Dupont Delux, but you'd probably lose points at a show with a factory style paint job against the clear/coat, color/coat guys.

JDP/Maryland
        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
        64 GT R2
        63 Lark 2 door
        58 Scotsman
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Baked enamel, much like the old Dupont Delux, but you'd probably lose points at a show with a factory style paint job against the clear/coat, color/coat guys.

JDP/Maryland
          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
          64 GT R2
          63 Lark 2 door
          58 Scotsman
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Any more even Billy Thompson at White Post Restorations uses only BC/CC on their restorations. I'll opt for single stage if it's available.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Any more even Billy Thompson at White Post Restorations uses only BC/CC on their restorations. I'll opt for single stage if it's available.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I don't like the look of BC/CC in solid colors- the shine just looks wrong to me, especially on old cars. Metallic colors are a different story...

Gertie, my 59 Lark, will of course be single-stage.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I don't like the look of BC/CC in solid colors- the shine just looks wrong to me, especially on old cars. Metallic colors are a different story...

Gertie, my 59 Lark, will of course be single-stage.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Actually, unless it is in the custom or modified class, the new Judging Policy...

specifies...

"clear coat paints are not acceptable in divisions 1-7" (page 23)

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Actually, unless it is in the custom or modified class, the new Judging Policy...

specifies...

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

specifies...

Another reason why I never have anyone "judge" my cars. Anyone who restores cars or trucks to DRIVE them doesn't really have much of a chance in a judged event. I wouldn't use anything BUT base/clear on anything that's on the road more than just a couple of thousand miles per year. Modern Euro base/clear systems are TOUGH and hold up better than ANY other kind of paint I've used in the last decade or so and are a BREEZE to maintain. Add on radial tires, 12v conversion, retrofitted dual master cylidner, etc. and you've lost so many points you're out of the money.

I love to put cars in shows for "display only" to show off the qaulity of work and the care that went into the renovation, but having someone nit-pik me about hose clamps and the like is something I have NEVER had much interest in!

But hats off BIG TIME to those of you who are into factory correct restorations! I might not fully understand the passion, but I sure as heck APPRECIATE it!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

specifies...

Another reason why I never have anyone "judge" my cars. Anyone who restores cars or trucks to DRIVE them doesn't really have much of a chance in a judged event. I wouldn't use anything BUT base/clear on anything that's on the road more than just a couple of thousand miles per year. Modern Euro base/clear systems are TOUGH and hold up better than ANY other kind of paint I've used in the last decade or so and are a BREEZE to maintain. Add on radial tires, 12v conversion, retrofitted dual master cylidner, etc. and you've lost so many points you're out of the money.

I love to put cars in shows for "display only" to show off the qaulity of work and the care that went into the renovation, but having someone nit-pik me about hose clamps and the like is something I have NEVER had much interest in!

But hats off BIG TIME to those of you who are into factory correct restorations! I might not fully understand the passion, but I sure as heck APPRECIATE it!!

Comment

Allne,

Do like I do, grab an old horse drawn vehicle and drag it to the show. No one left was around when they were built, so how can they say what is wrong?

Gary

Comment

Allne,

Do like I do, grab an old horse drawn vehicle and drag it to the show. No one left was around when they were built, so how can they say what is wrong?

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X