No announcement yet.

I say dash has to be pulled!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: I say dash has to be pulled!!

Ok, many here have proffered that on a Studebaker Avanti one can actually change the instrument light bulbs..........without pulling the dash!

If I had the hands of a two yr old...........maybe!..........but the more I look up under that dash the more I say no way Jose!

I would like to hear from those that have actually done this...........without dropping the dash!

Remove the dash end plate and cut a hole big enough to get your hand in but not so big as to not allow it to be screwed back on. For the others, remove the radio speaker if necessary.

You don't want to pull the dash if you can avoid it. Don't bother to ask me how I know.

Bob

Comment

Bob I do not know if what you said is a joke or not? The beech is getting to the speedo and the tach! Pull radio speaker???? Are you S-ing me??? I would pay someone 100.00 to actually put all new bulbs in without pulling the dash!!
      Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
      Remove the dash end plate and cut a hole big enough to get your hand in but not so big as to not allow it to be screwed back on. For the others, remove the radio speaker if necessary.

You don't want to pull the dash if you can avoid it. Don't bother to ask me how I know.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
        Bob I do not know if what you said is a joke or not? The beech is getting to the speedo and the tach! Pull radio speaker???? Are you S-ing me??? I would pay someone 100.00 to actually put all new bulbs in without pulling the dash!!
        HL

No smiley faces on my post. I did cut the end out of the dash on my 83 to access the back of the instruments. I'll try to remember to take the end panel off tomorrow and see what I can access. But that was how I replaced the instruments so I had to reach the nuts that hold them so the bulbs shouldn't be that much more difficult.

FYI, 6'3'' tall with hands that take XL gloves. If I don't post by tomorrow PM, send me a PM to remind me.

Bob

Comment

FYI..............6'2".............200 lbs.............gloves XL!

Comment

It's not easy, but I've done it more than once, and no hole cutting needed. It's much easier with the front seat out and with a cushion to lie on.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

You have actually gotten your hands up there?.........the tach and speedo appear to be impossible to get your hands to.........unless you are a five year old.

Comment

I must admit that the question continued to intrigue me as I thought about it more last night.

So I pulled the cover off the 83 this AM as I did the instrument removal over three years ago.

I pulled the end plate and this is what it looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1136.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1683066

I tried to reach the back of all the instruments from different areas of the dash, both through the hole I made and from under the dash. As you described, the speedo and tach are the most difficult. I can get to the ones on the right side from underneath the dash in that area.

I can reach the left side both through the hole I made and from underneath the dash on the left. On the 83 there is a lot of stuff in the way as I reach in but I think if I pulled the first gauge (volt meter, in my case) I could reach the tach and speedo but in all candor mine are both now newer digital units and not the originals which are deeper.

I have great respect for John's knowledge of all things Studebaker and certainly believe they can be changed from below but my 70 YO hands, and they are is excellent shape for their age, would have a tough time getting and functioning up there. So I'm not recommending anything but just sharing what I did and the fact that I pulled each instrument in order by doing this. As far as changing bulbs, your results may vary but it's still tight no matter how you go.

IIWM, I'd probably try JDP's method first and then go from there.

Good luck, It won't be pretty in any case.

Bob

Comment

WENT THE WAY WITH (jdp) SEAT OUT NICE SOFT PILLOW ON MY 73 JUST TAKE ONE OF THOSE QUITE AFTERNOONS & ENJOY THE REST OF THE DAY! MAC.

Comment

Working...
                  X