Convertible- top emergency procedure??? 1951 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Convertible- top emergency procedure??? 1951 Champion

I have a question about my 1951 Champion convertible. The top has not been operated for many years now and I am afraid that if I try lower it, it may get stuck in a halfway position. If this were to occur is there a way to temporarily disconnect the electric motor and manually lower or raise the top? If so what is the procedure involved. My thanks to anyone that can help me with this issue.

Studebaker uses ball screws rather than hydraulic mechanisms on 47-52 convertibles. The top motor powers a heavy duty speedometer cable that runs the ball screws on your car. You should lubricate the ball screws, but do not take them apart as you will have ball bearings all over the driveway.

If you want to disconnect the power drive mechanism, you can disconnect the top of the ball shaft from the top frame. They are located behind the side panels beside the rear seat, close to where the top frame hinges on the car body.

If you disconnect it there, you can lower the top by hand. But beware, it will take two people to raise it again, one standing on each side of the car.

Look at the body parts manual for a good picture of how all the pieces go together.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

p.s. Make sure that you lubricate the entire top mechanism - all joints - thoroughly before lowering it. If something is seized and you break one of the cast parts, you will have a devil of a time finding a replacement.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

My thanks to you for your help. Not really sure what a ball screw is, but I will check it out. What lubricant do you recommend that I use for the ball screws and hinges?? Also if the speedometer type cables from the motor were to break can they be repaired or are replacements available?

Comment

A ball screw is a long precision ground threaded shaft. There is a ball nut that rides on it which is filled with ball bearings. The whole thing is a precision instrument with more than a handful of ball bearings doing the interface between the screw shaft and the travelling nut.

The motor turns the screw shaft and the nut travels up and down along the length of the shaft. The whole assembly gets longer and shorter just like a hydraulic cylinder. The shaft should get some good silicone grease and all of the joints in the top mechanism should get heavy oil.

I cannot imagine where one would go to replace the "speedometer cable" assemblies if they break, other than some of the major Studebaker vendors. They should be lubricated with speedometer cable lube. NOTE: these cable are basically speedo cable technology, but they are much larger/thicker than a speedo cable.

The motor that powers the whole thing is like a modified starter motor, so all the starter motor maintenance methods apply.

You really should get the Studebaker manuals, shop, body parts, chassis parts. They explain and show everything in beautiful detail.
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-31-2013, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Edselhead View Post
            My thanks to you for your help. Not really sure what a ball screw is, but I will check it out. What lubricant do you recommend that I use for the ball screws and hinges?? Also if the speedometer type cables from the motor were to break can they be repaired or are replacements available?
            I have seen those cables at Studebaker International in South Bend.

Comment

Working...
            X