No announcement yet.

Glass Damage from Armor-All?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Glass Damage from Armor-All?

While spraying the vinyl dash overlays of my various cars, I've noted the caution to keep vinyl-protectant products like Armor-All and STP Son-of-a-Gun OFF glass.

Has anyone actually experienced glass damage from such products? I have not, but have been curious about the possibility. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I don't think the warning is due to the possibility of damaging the glass. I think it is because it can become an attractant to dirt and soil, though I could be wrong. I can't treat a dash or door panels without some overspray on the glass. Just make glass cleaning the last step in the detailing process.

Now...Westley's bleche-white,on the other hand, can really do a number on painted surfaces, I can guarantee you that. It certainly does a super quick and admirable job cleaning white or black rubber, as well as most vinyls, probably because it eats a layer of the surface. I believe Westley's is too caustic and, in the long run, will cause premature dry rot in tires. I'm sure anyone who has used it in a casual manner has experienced the skin peeling off your hands in a day or two.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Armorall has silicone in it, it will creep everywhere and very hard to remove from glass, it keeps smearing. Likewise, don't take a bottle of Armorall any where near a paint shop...

Comment

Armor All had a reputation for ultimately hurting vinyl and upholstery years ago...just the opposite of what was supposed to do. While it gave a glossy sheen to dashes, etc., sunlight made it shrink vinyl which caused cracks and splits. It was reformulated but many still refuse to use it because of its past reputation. There's better protectants on the market.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I do'nt know about glass,but I was told it can ruin plastic "like used on more modern dashes over the instruments" as for makeing vinyl look nice,I used to hang around with a detailer and He would use pledge instead.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I'm not so sure on the long-term damage from my personal experience. In fact, my personal experience contradicts that (and I have "heard" it too):

When I bought my 1964 Daytona Hardtop 36 years ago, the brown dash overlay was in remarkably-good shape as to no cracks. I was determined to keep it that way, so I carefully cut a piece of clean, old blanket to the shape of the top of the dash.

I have kept that piece of blanket soaked with either Armor-All or STP Son-of-a-Gun, now, for 36 years, depending on which product was on sale, naturally! (In fact, I just soaked it again yesterday evening when I put the hardtop away after some maintenance.)

So not only has that dash overlay been indoors, out of the sun, for 36 years, it has also been covered with a pad soaked in vinyl protectant.

I can honestly report that it looks every bit as good today as it did 36 years ago...maybe even better, actually, as it is still quite supple. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Testimonial: Armor-All protectant definitely caused cracking in my 1st Stude; 1963 Lark. I used to slather the stuff on religiously about every month. Speaking to dash and seats. Also was told by a Firestone dealer that it cracks side belts on tires too....proof was on my 2000 Sierra 2500......go

Comment

While I've used it in the past without problem...I can't find the "low" sheen stuff any more...so I don't use it.
                Hell, WD-40 does the same thing...!

I still can't figure out why people want their vinyl and rubber to shine like shiny paint..?!?!? Shiny tires....why, looks silly to me. Just paint them with flexable paint if you want them looking like 50's model cars.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  Armor All had a reputation for ultimately hurting vinyl and upholstery years ago...just the opposite of what was supposed to do. While it gave a glossy sheen to dashes, etc., sunlight made it shrink vinyl which caused cracks and splits. It was reformulated but many still refuse to use it because of its past reputation. There's better protectants on the market.
                  What to believe? Bruce, what are some of the better products on the maket?

Ted

Comment

I had a brain-dead friend who constantly sprayed silicon (WD40) on a squeaky ceiling fan. It ate the plastic ball in the socket and the fan blades took out his stereo.
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Beginning in the late 1980s, ArmorAll was loved by the military. Since the military loves to beautify equipment such as tanks & trucks for inspection, wiping them down with ArmorAll fit the bill nicely. Prior to ArmorAll, it was popular to wipe stuff down with diesel fuel, for the same reason.

However, by the early 1990s, ArmorAll was banned from use in the military when they discovered instead of "protects, preserves & beautifies" rubber, vinyl, etc., it caused dry-rot.

I stopped using it on my stuff when the military banned it.

Comment

OK then, what seems to be the best, and safest, vinyl and plastic protectant? This is an important issue to discuss.
                        I do know that Meguiars and Mothers make such a product, but I haven't had experience with them.
                        What do you fellas think?
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I've run across metal dash parts that required serious amounts of labor to remove silicone products from the poors of the metal. When it comes to cleaning vinyl, anything good for leather, is safe for vinyl and usually has no silicone, petro products etc.

I've always used Spray Away glass cleaner and nothing else for dashes, interiors. Silicone cleaners are for rubber , but some cause damage as stated above because of other ingredients.

Always use at least a little bit of good glass cleaner, alcohol, or even wax and grease remover if you think armor all or similar products have been used to remove them before you use another type of cleaner. (test it on a small spot , it can remove paint and dyes)

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                            Testimonial: Armor-All protectant definitely caused cracking in my 1st Stude; 1963 Lark. I used to slather the stuff on religiously about every month. Speaking to dash and seats. Also was told by a Firestone dealer that it cracks side belts on tires too....proof was on my 2000 Sierra 2500......go
                            What the heck is a side belt in a tire? I know of tire plys and tread belts, but not side belts.

I have used a variety of vinyl protectants, includlng Armor All, on tires, upholstery, etc. I have had good results. The difference may be that I never apply it more than once or twice in a year to an item. As an aside, I never use an all purpose treatment on leather. I only use name brand leather only products on leather.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
                              What to believe? Bruce, what are some of the better products on the maket?

Ted

Armor All has changed their formula but many car guys still won't use it. I use Griot's Garage Vinyl & Rubber Dressing. I've heard many good things about Mequiar's protectant and it's available at most retailers. A lot of guys simply use Pledge...never tried that myself but people seem happy with it.
                              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                              X