Price check for 1951 Commander 232 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price check for 1951 Commander 232 engine

We have a 1951 Commander 232 engine that I recently identified here on the Tech Forums. This was my Grandfathers engine that he rebuilt years ago and unfortunately my father and I have no idea how much its worth. Do any of you fine folks have a ballpark estimate?

I also have a Stromberg Aerotype Carb with a manufacturer code of 6-111 which, based on my research is a for Studebaker's. We'd also like to sell it, or possibly throw it in with the engine.

I would like to offer it to you guy's before I throw it up on Craigslist for the help identifying it and some other misc questions I've had in the past. I'm in Placerville, CA (east of Sacramento) if anyone is in the area and has an offer, feel free to PM me.

Jess
    Attached Files

A local club member has been trying to sell a complete 232 along with the OD transmission for $100 and has not had any takers.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Most of us seem to have a hard time GIVING these away, of course they are usually in re-buildable condition or Running condition, not usually freshly or not so freshly rebuilt like yours.

I guess the sad truth is, most people opt for the more powerful and only slightly lower fuel mileage 259 from a '55 to '64 V8 Car or a 289 from a '56 to '64 Stude. since they all interchange by bolting in.

One reason may be that after owners have had 62 years to rebuild or replace these small cid '51 to '54 engines with a larger Stude. or a small block Chev., most are now good to go and replacements are not needed.

If you can find a buyer it would be more like the 100 to $200.00 price range, not the $2000.00 it would take today to totally rebore and rebuild one. Sad, but true.

Here is the link to the original post, it IS a 1951 for sure.

Are you listening StudeClunker? This could be a reasonable way to get one of yours on the road quickly and nearby.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-29-2013, 01:10 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

For the right person, looking to stay "correct", it may be worth up to $1000. But that motor would need to be carefully put back into service, and not just plug & play. The bottom end would need a new rear main seal, the PR valve serviced, and the pump spun awhile. The heads would need to be disassembled and cleaned, with new valve seals installed. The carb would need to be gone through.
        JMHO

Comment

Looks like You Grandfather was meticulous in His work!

Comment

Working...
          X