FUEL GUAGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FUEL GUAGE

Is it possible to wire a fuel guage backwards? Meaning the more shown the less you got?

Not me, but a question asked by a Stude owner nearby.

Hey bondobilly
    I'm not to sure about a fuel gage working backwards. But when I was young and unaware of positive ground. I bought an M series truck that had no battery. I hooked up the battery backwards. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't charge. When I would turn on the key the amp gauge would show a charge. When I started it the gauge showed a discharge. Well the truck died along side of the road. This older gentleman stopped to help. He said that he was working for Studebaker when the M series were being made. He looked at the battery and nicely let me know that it was hooked up backwards. I had to replace the regulator afterwards. He was right.

Gordon

Comment

When we bought our first Studebaker back in the 80's it was a 47 with 6V positive ground. It would confuse the young mechanics at my friends gas station. Best line I ever heard in my life about a Studebaker was by the mechanic there. It was up on the lift and he looked at the amount of arms used for the steering.

"They needed that much to steer a car back then?"

Bill

Comment

Bill, I spent a couple of minutes and drew some theoretical schematics to what would happen if you hooked up a fuel gauge backwards. My best guess: on an empty tank, it would read somewhere around 1/2 tank, maybe anywhere from full to empty. On a full tank, it would peg out on the full side.

Would it damage the gauge? I'm guessing not, unless it pegged out so hard to the full side that some component inside the gauge were to get bent.

Simply reversing the battery would not affect the gauge. Essentially, it reads current, and it's not polarity-sensitive. You could probably run a Studebaker fuel gauge on AC!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Bill, My best guess: on an empty tank, it would read somewhere around 1/2 tank, maybe anywhere from full to empty. On a full tank, it would peg out on the full side.

You could probably run a Studebaker fuel gauge on AC!
          I will give Fred a 110V AC extention cord
          As he drives the guage starts to climb, as if he is getting mid air refueling.

Bill

Comment

Bill, I would hazard a guess that either the gauge body is not properly grounded (maybe Hawk or Avanti with fiberglass dash), or else the compensating element inside the gauge head is flaky. Either instance would allow the gauge element connected to the sending unit to overpower the compensating element.

Comment

I think he has given up. He was trying to keep stock guages in his car. Now I think he will do a custom dash.

He lives about 8 houses from me. In truth, very little of th car is Studebaker anymore. Specailly fabricated chassis, fully customized body with very gentle modifications thar change the entire look. Where the trunk had square corners, it has rounded corners which changes the look, he cut the rear bumper into three sections and removed the center part just enough to make the rear bumper flush to the body and the rear window is done in such a way that where it goes from sheet metal to glass there is no defining line.

Amazing car.

Comment

Working...
              X