Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studes and parts vanishing in my area...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studes and parts vanishing in my area...

The mountains of western NC were once filled with old Studebakers, some still in use and others just sitting and rotting away. I hardly ever ran across one that was actually covered. But since companies have been paying good $$$ for scrap metal, even the hulks are disappearing like hotcakes. I've been running an ad locally offering to buy Studes and/or parts. But, there's been virtually no response for the past month. This result corresponds with the pitiful listings in the local trade papers and on Craigslist. All you see these days are the same old over-priced vehicles. And most of these cars are 4-dr six-bangers or have been switched to Chevy power or some other brand x engine.

There have been only a couple notable exceptions in the last year. One fellow near Lenoir, NC had a nice 2-dr '65 V-8 with a 10' paint job. But I already have a '66 Commander, and really wasn't too interested. Another goofball near Statesville put out an ad a '63 R1 Avanti for $2800. I called him and offered to pay cash and have it picked up sight unseen, except for the pics, in the ad. But somebody else had called him earlier in the day and was trying to get the $$$ together. The owner hadn't actually promised the car to them cause they couldn't even leave a deposit. So I offered to pay $3k cash and have it picked up that day. But the owner knew nothing about Studebakers, let alone Avanti's, and was clueless. He also felt obligated to wait on a potential buyer who had no $$$. The car ad stayed up for a month. Each time I called the owner back, he was still waiting to get paid. After nearly 30 days, I called and he proudly said the guy had come by that very morning and picked up the car. Wait 30 days and get $200 less - go figure.

We also lost a key source of old parts. K & K Auto Parts in Lenoir, which was originally a Hudson dealership back in the 1950's, sold out their entire vintage stock of parts to somebody from the Winston-Salem area. These guys had some VERY old NOS merchandise for Mopars, Ramblers, Studes, etc. Certainly they didn't have most of what I checked on. But over the years they sold me motor mounts and a clutch, press plate and throw-out bearing for my '66 Commander. They also had a genuine rebuilt hi-amp Prestolite alternator for my '63 Avanti. It cost me $20 with no exchange. Which was great cause somebody had replaced the original Avanti alternator on my car with a standard Prestolite. Now this valuable resource is extinct.

I suspect the prices of our existing Studebakers go up in value every time somebody dooms one to the crusher. But I grieve for all the Studes that have been wasted over the last 40 years because obstinate owners would rather see them sit and rot rather than take a fair price. Nearly all the owners I couldn't strike a deal with are long dead and most took their Studes with them to the graveyard.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Same in Manitoba. Used to be cars everywhere. Mostly all gone now. One guy had close to 150 including a 64 hawk and some Coupes and Hardtops. He needed cash quickly so he called the crusher. Every now and then one shows up. Found a 49 truck that had been stored away for 30 years in a barn recently and a 48 sedan that is rusty, but has a good from windshield visor.

T-cab

Comment

That's just how it is. I am downsizing and am slowly clearing a property where I once had about 50 cars stored, mostly parts, some good projects. The GM stuff went fast to good homes, followed by Ford and MoPar. The Studebaker stuff is a different story. Nobody wants them except chiselers that want them at less than scrap so they can haul them to the crusher, and a few that strung me along to the point of giving up. When the property sells, I will have to make the heartbreaking decision to crush them. I don't see any other answer.

i was the guy that actually stepped up to the "somebody needs to save this from the crusher" laments we see from time to time. Me and my Ford van would travel all over the Eastern half of the country dragging derelicts home. My trusty tow dolly has in excess of 40K miles on it, the van is pushing 200K. But plans change, and I'm doing other things, and that safe haven property has got to go, and the new property has very limited outdoor space. So, reality will force me to be a big boy and override my heart in favor of my future. Such is life.

I think that what you describe is simply the way if the future. You have less guys caring about parts cars, especially Studes, and possible junkyard sites are becoming more scarce all the time.

There is no solution- or hope- that I can see. Time has passed people like me- lovers of junkyards-by. It's all about get it instantly, sacrifice quality for low price, use and abuse with minimal care, and recycle.

Like many things in life- that's just how it is.
      Last edited by Bob Andrews; 07-28-2013, 12:46 PM.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Do remember that it will take quite a bit longer for the Western half of the U.S. to be wiped clean of parts Cars. Yes it is also happening here because of the price the Koreans and Chinese will pay for good American Steel to make Transportation devices and Kitchen Appliances out of.

But fortunately there are a lot more Car Enthusiasts in the West who care, way more Cars and better conditions to preserve them, so that could get us maybe 10 more years.

That will be close to the time when under 40 MPG or ALL Gasoline Vehicles are prohibited on the Roads of America anyway.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Our future includes two very sad days...when the last Studebaker powered Studebaker is parked for good, and the day there are no Studebakers left on the road at all.

'till then...PARTY, PARTY, PARTY
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Several former old hulk havens have converted to scrap metal processing. They get in a car, pull the aluminum and the engine, crush it and on the way to China in days. Nothing stays in the yard.
            PackardV8

Comment

Check out my thread posted today about looking at a dozen Studebakers.There are more than a dozen.I bought 1 might buy another and the rest...anyone REALLY
              want to say they all should be saved? Various parts,yes. I will add a link to the slideshow.
              Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
                Check out my thread posted today about looking at a dozen Studebakers.There are more than a dozen.I bought 1 might buy another and the rest...anyone REALLY
                want to say they all should be saved? Various parts,yes. I will add a link to the slideshow.
                http://s86.photobucket.com/user/Bob4...Nord%20schtuff
                I remember the day when I was younger and finding and dragging home ALL the Studebakers I could find was all I lived for ! Now looking at these I still have that thought ------But reality sinks in- with older age - and I realize that unless they are right across the street from me, I think about the heavy equipment needed ,the time needed in just getting getting them home. There is sure alot of parts there ! The same situation is in my mind with some cars 10 miles away !

Comment

Working...
                X